Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Motown Fedora Revue -- A Detroit hat thread

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Detroit and surrounding S.E. Michigan hat sightings, hats from MI, and a selected list of hat and vintage stores. Detroit-related odds and ends here. (Because Ohio has a thread! :D )

Motown Vintage

Well, there's Showtime Clothing at 5708 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, and of course Henry the Hatter (since 1893). Haven't been there in ages, but they used to have some vintage clothing. V-Male Vintage on Van Born in Dearborn Heights, and Village Antiques in Dearborn are other areas to check, but the best selection is often found at estate sales, if you can find the size you need.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
A buddy of mine's wife (now ex-wife) is from Detroit. Great looking to begin with, she got a breast enhancement and, after a few drinks, had a tendency to show the goods. My compliments to the surgeon.

One New Years Eve, we were all pooty-faced and went back to their place, where she proceeded to remove ALL her clothes. When my buddy told her to please put something on, she obliged by snatching the hat off my head and putting it on hers. That's when I snapped her picture.

It's the only photo I have of someone from Detroit wearing a hat, but methinks posting the pic here would get me in a spot of trouble.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:

OK -- time for a little Motown pride...

Blue Dobbs 20 from Higgins & Frank, a Detroit haberdasher...

BlueDobbs20.jpg

FullLiner.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Wonderful! I'm really loving that Melton posted on the recently revived thread, too. Always wondered where you had gotten that avatar of yours from. Simply drool-worthy.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:
Wonderful! I'm really loving that Melton posted on the recently revived thread, too. Always wondered where you had gotten that avatar of yours from. Simply drool-worthy.

The Meltons are a wonderful hat and seem to be fairly rare. If you discover one definately snag it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys. Wish I knew more about Melton lids in general, but, I must say, I really do love the one that found its way to my doorstep. ;)

In terms of this thread, I think its always interesting to find a vintage lid that hails from where you live, or from some other place that might have meaning in your life. I was thrilled to finally come across a couple of vintage lids from right here in Motown, and I think it's really cool that they both happen to be blue (I would say Detroit Lion blue -- but that's too painful :D).

Cheers,
JtL

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
If I've got the time when I'm in the area, I might have a possible shot to visit Henry the Hatters tomorrow. If so, I'll take some pictures.

P1010099.jpg
[/IMG]
P1010102.jpg
[/IMG]
P1010100.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a Henry the Hatter from Detroit. This store has been discussed in another thread. Although I spent some time in the Detroit area, I never had a chance to go to this store. However, years later, I got this hat through E-bay. Looks to be 40's vintage, as best I can tell.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I had a chance to visit the store; I'll post some pictures of both the store, and one or two I took at the Detroit Institute of the Arts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran