Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The mummy 3 sherling, a 3/4 Irvin?

subject101

One of the Regulars
Who makes this style of sherlings?

mummy3wallpaper6md.jpg

It is almost a 3/4 jacket, honey sheepskin, dark brown, no belt, no straps under the collar.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's Irvin "inspired". From the photo it doesn't appear to have sleeve zips, there's cinch belts on the side and the asymmetrical collar is round the wrong way (the flap side on an Irvin is on the left).

Bloody awful film!

subject101

One of the Regulars
It's Irvin "inspired". From the photo it doesn't appear to have sleeve zips, there's cinch belts on the side and the asymmetrical collar is round the wrong way (the flap side on an Irvin is on the left).

Yes, So far I've found that it was custom made for the film by Jonathan A. Logan. However, what I wanted to ask is if any manufacturer is making jackets like this one.

Bloody awful film!

No argue :p

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yes, So far I've found that it was custom made for the film by Jonathan A. Logan. However, what I wanted to ask is if any manufacturer is making jackets like this one.

Mr Logan makes jackets to order (I know he makes Brad Pitt's red retro leather jacket from Fight Club along with a host of others) so you could email him but he's not cheap.

Otherwise Cirrus do a jacket which is along the lines of this:

http://www.flyingjacket.com/8cirrus2plus2jac.html

Hope that helps.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Mr Logan makes jackets to order (I know he makes Brad Pitt's red retro leather jacket from Fight Club along with a host of others) so you could email him but he's not cheap.

I think Brad Pitt's red retro leather jacket is the one that is included in the classic jackets dept here; jonathanalogan.com

Otherwise Cirrus do a jacket which is along the lines of this:

http://www.flyingjacket.com/8cirrus2plus2jac.html

Hey, thanks for the link, I like those jackets and the fact they are offering different options for the the skin.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think Brad Pitt's red retro leather jacket is the one that is included in the classic jackets dept here; jonathanalogan.com

That's the one. He was charging about $US800 for that a year or two back. Very nice jacket though.

Hey, thanks for the link, I like those jackets and the fact they are offering different options for the the skin.

Hopefully Paddy might chime in here (or you could PM him) as he had a Cirrus 2 Plus 2. I've never handled a Cirrus jacket but I've heard good things about their build quality.

xt40

Familiar Face
The cirrus jacket linked above is nothing like this jacket and it has nothing in common with an irvin.
this design is an cheap nasty ill-fitting abomination which which can be found in any mall/shopping centre leather shop and is usually described/labelled as a b3.

its so common that if you google b3 bomber jacket, this design gets substantially more hits than the actual design

http://www.google.ie/images?rlz=1C1...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=705

This design wrongly gained some cred as it was supplied by wested for the memphis belle movie. Almost everything else in that movie looks fairly right so it is strange that the "b-3" s are so wrong. Supposedly wested made the jackets and still sell them but i wonder did they really get them from some sweatshop in pakistan/Turkey

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The aweful jacket pictured above has perhaps more in common with the B-3 with the side straps and the design of the cuffs. It's not for me, but for some it may just what they are looking for!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The cirrus jacket linked above is nothing like this jacket and it has nothing in common with an irvin.
this design is an cheap nasty ill-fitting abomination which which can be found in any mall/shopping centre leather shop and is usually described/labelled as a b3.

Well soooorry for offending your sensibilities by putting the link in for the original poster :rolleyes:

Of course it's not an Irvin and far removed from it but there are other members here who are obviously looking for a jacket or longer length coat that is inspired by the design features of 30s and 40s sheepskin flying jackets.

I personally don't want one as I prefer my ELC 1940 Pattern but I don't have a problem with members who might be looking for something different.

Well soooorry for offending your sensibilities by putting the link in for the original poster :rolleyes:

Of course it's not an Irvin and far removed from it but there are other members here who are obviously looking for a jacket or longer length coat that is inspired by the design features of 30s and 40s sheepskin flying jackets.

I personally don't want one as I prefer my ELC 1940 Pattern but I don't have a problem with members who might be looking for something different.

Thank you. Some of the snobbery is off-putting.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
The cirrus jacket linked above is nothing like this jacket...
It seems to me that the Cirrus 2 Plus 2 has some things in common with the Mummy 3 jacket, even if some details differ. In fact, it seems to satisfy all of the original criteria: "It is almost a 3/4 jacket, honey sheepskin, dark brown, no belt, no straps under the collar."

this design is an cheap nasty ill-fitting abomination which which can be found in any mall/shopping centre leather shop
Perhaps you could be more polite or constructive, especially since the original poster liked the suggestion.

and is usually described/labelled as a b3.

its so common that if you google b3 bomber jacket, this design gets substantially more hits than the actual design

http://www.google.ie/images?rlz=1C1...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=705

The point is well taken, but the original poster isn't looking for an accurate B-3 repo.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Cheers 'Smitty'/you tooButte. Refusing the validity of ANYTHING else is something best kept to ones self. So it's not an Irvin. It's not awful at all. Nice looking thing....oh...but it's not an Irvin. Hence if you wear it in the cold you'll be cold and miserable. And perhaps forget looking anywhere dapper and smart.The ladies will be tittering. 'It's not an Irvin....who does he think he is?' 'Aweful' indeed. Nope....just ain't an Irvin. Hey. We know.

I started my jacket collection with a cheap(er) Turkish B3 before I got into the hobby. It's no Aero/Eastman/LW, etc. But it looks nice and keeps me warm. I get authentic. I get quality. But not everyone has the means/desire to drop $800-$1500 on every jacket folks.
I started collecting Seiko watches. Good hardware. But once I got deeper into timepieces, I realized I was on the ground floor. Nothing wrong with that, we all start somewhere and have varying levels of interest and income.
Be kind and constructive fellas/gals! Otherwise, it's no fun!

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Cheers 'Smitty'/you tooButte. Refusing the validity of ANYTHING else is something best kept to ones self. So it's not an Irvin. It's not awful at all. Nice looking thing....oh...but it's not an Irvin. Hence if you wear it in the cold you'll be cold and miserable. And perhaps forget looking anywhere dapper and smart.The ladies will be tittering. 'It's not an Irvin....who does he think he is?' 'Aweful' indeed. Nope....just ain't an Irvin. Hey. We know.

I think it would take more than a jacket for me to get ladies "tittering" (but doesn't that sound like fun). however, it is a good looking jacket. Reminicent of some classic millitary jackets. The question is, how close of a match are you hoping for?

Edward

Bartender
Interesting.... my memory of the jacket in that film was that it was a B3, but looking at the photo in the OP I can see that while it was clearly inspired by that general design, it also varies a fair bit from the military spec. Do I also see the hint of a slash handwarmer pocket on his left (to the right of the picture, in other words)? You'll always find a much stronger preference for the military originals in these parts - I suspect most of what has been interpreted as 'hostility' is brought on by all the years of various companies trotting out wildly divergent designs claiming them to be accurate replicas of the originals. Anyhoo.... Seems to me that the jacket being worn in the film (insofar as they gave this a second thought) is a civilian coat, so all bets on any sort of "design spec accuracy" are off. Probably shopping around among companies like Cirrus and Aviation Leathercraft who are reaching out to a different market than might ELC or Aero, might net you something much closer to the Mummy III jacket. If you do find a specific Cirrus model that you want, I would suggest watching eBay for it - I've seen a fair few Cirrus jackets in excellent condition sell on eBay for significantly less than ELC or Aero sheepskins, so you might well find you can get a second hand bargain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran