Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Netherlands vs. the USA?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Can't help but notice on my frequent travels to Amsterdam the number of A-2's, G-1's and various other leather flight jackets being worn by the locals. Far more than I see here in Texas, or anywhere else in the USA. Is this a Dutch thing? Maybe a European thing for wearing American type WWII issue jackets?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Just noticed the typo...how can I fix Netherlands? Thought I checked it @#&%*!!

Last edited by a moderator:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Hey Tex, they have a lot of breweries in Amsterdam, don't they. :p

Yes, they do. Visited one on my last trip. It was a nice day so we walked all over the place, went thru the famous "Red Light" district, went on down to a local brewery, then had dinner at a very nice Italian restaurant.

The leather jacket, A-2 especially, is popular over there.

zhz

Practically Family
I haven't seen a single people wearing A2 in UK since early 2013, which makes me wonder what happened to those people showed their A2 on TFL and VLJ. I saw people with B10 one times, M65 few times and MA-1. But never seen people in A2...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't recall seeing an A2 here in a decade (I have seen them for sale in shops, mainly new old stock by Cooper). I have seen two or three awful predistressed sheepskin flying jackets but I don't think they count. I imagine there are people who own them and almost never wear them. A2 style jackets were a very 1980's look around here.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
This is the look I recall seeing around our cities. Still worn by some older blokes.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dav

One Too Many
I haven't seen a single people wearing A2 in UK since early 2013, which makes me wonder what happened to those people showed their A2 on TFL and VLJ. I saw people with B10 one times, M65 few times and MA-1. But never seen people in A2...

Should have come to Somerset, I was wearing my A2 this morning.
Mind you, we're always a few years be the smoke! ;)

Having said that, before I got mine I think I only ever saw two out in the wild my whole life.

Last edited:

Huertecilla

Banned
I am dutch and used to almost live in aUS sheepskin bomber and ditto german bomber boots.

Yes, rugged leather jackets are worn a lot in the Netherlands as the climate is suited to it and the tolerant/open minded segment of the population is wider than is most countries. Wear what you like when you is more acceptable than in the UK.
Another factor is that the standard of living in the NL is high and many can afford a good leather jacket.

We currently live in the south of spain as the only dutch is a village with 500 foreigners of which 498 are from the UK. I have it a LOT easier with less preconceived ideas of what is appropriate or not.

Alistar79

Familiar Face
Were Brier of amsterdam not once a popular leather jacket maker? Don't know if they are still in existance but seem to run across alot of vintage stuff from them from time to time.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Were Brier of amsterdam not once a popular leather jacket maker? Don't know if they are still in existance but seem to run across alot of vintage stuff from them from time to time.

Indeed they were, but they were situated in Amsterdam, New York, not the Netherlands.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
When I had my first Aero back in 1982, I wore it every day for about 6 years, give or take the odd hot sweltering summer day. My original WWII Lucky 7 Seven A2 I probably wore at least twice a week, maybe more. If I went away for the weekend, basically the two jackets probably went with me everywhere I went. That is probably why my original Battersea Aero looks thirty odd years old and 'Lucky' is now showing it's real age.
Always great to see original jackets being worn, at air shows, '40s' events and bike rallies or wherever, get the usual comment about what they are worth and do I wish to sell it for less than an Eastman. Only ever saw a couple of original jackets in those 30 years being worn out in the streets.
Cheers, J.

Ps, I believe Gelmok is/was a Dutch manufacturer whom make some great full length leather clothing and other biking gear.(Could be German?)

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Will be in South West London this week, M422A will be displayed on my back as will a 50's replica MA1 and a service issue L2B (not all at the same time and weather dependent). My ELC Roughwear A2 may also make an appearance. The D1 is unlikely to break cover due to the warmer weather. I will be in the Barnes / Mortlake area all week & in addition to one of the above will be sporting a Stetson Flatcap, Regency Brogues, a pint of Young s and a white Lurcher. :)

Meerkat

Familiar Face
Will be in South West London this week, M422A will be displayed on my back as will a 50's replica MA1 and a service issue L2B (not all at the same time and weather dependent). My ELC Roughwear A2 may also make an appearance. The D1 is unlikely to break cover due to the warmer weather. I will be in the Barnes / Mortlake area all week & in addition to one of the above will be sporting a Stetson Flatcap, Regency Brogues, a pint of Young s and a white Lurcher. :)

I dont know about the warmer weather......very optimistic that..dont forget an umbrella

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I don't recall seeing an A2 here in a decade (I have seen them for sale in shops, mainly new old stock by Cooper). I have seen two or three awful predistressed sheepskin flying jackets but I don't think they count. I imagine there are people who own them and almost never wear them. A2 style jackets were a very 1980's look around here.

I agree Seb. We've lived here now for 5 and a half years and I haven't seen one person wearing an A-2 in all that time. Spoke to a Japanese chap who has an ELC one but never seen one out in the open in these parts.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Probably it's also a matter of regional tastes: here I remember seeing many G1 knock-offs (mainly in the '80s/'90s), but I saw only one (1) person wearing an A2 (a very good repro btw, seemingly expensive), and two guys wearing B3s (one of them is a friend of mine, and he's not italian!), and that's pretty much all, except for the occasional "civilianized" sheepskin jacket.
While cafe-racer and Perfecto styled jackets are quite popular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner