Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Aero Blizzard

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Ever since I saw @torfjord's Blizzard here I have wanted one. This one is in black Kelpie. It isn't really black, it's more charcoal anthracite. Kelpie is full aniline (see through depth), soft, no break in needed, thick enough, about 2.75oz (1.1mm) thick. It feels neither wet (oily) or dry (waxy). So this is new to me. I like to know what kind of sealant they used on this leather.

IMG_2419.JPG
IMG_2420.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG

This one is a size 40. It is quite roomy. 19.5" shoulder, 24.5" P2P. And very high arm holes. I had a 23" P2P Barnstormer before and it didn't work out because the arm holes are just too high/small. So something to keep in mind when trying these 1920s patterns out. They don't have the side gusset panels to hide the larger P2P and they have very high arm holes. This is how it fits on me, 6', 180lbs.

IMG_2609.JPG
IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2636.JPG

Let's talk about the VEST!
IMG_2668.JPG

The vest can also be tucked to the side:
IMG_2676.JPG

I've seen vintage catalogue photos about these quirky features. I can't find them now. All I've got is this.
Image101.jpg

I appreciate the vintage vest design. It helps to block the wind when the coat is worn open. And the extra layer helps to trap the warmth when closed.

However, in hindsight, I would ask for the liner to be tacked to the leather shell. Right now it's loose so the whole vest/lining are just floating. I am ok with the open bottom for cleaning, but the lining needs two tacks to secure to the shell somewhere so it's not always moving around. The other thing is that I would ask for the vest to be done in the same color as the coat, so black. It would be easier to pair and wear. I would also go with melton wool instead.

If anyone has a Vintage one that has this vest set up please post it here. I've seen this type of coats lots, but never with the vest option. Thanks.

geedee

Familiar Face
Ever since I saw @torfjord's Blizzard here I have wanted one. This one is in black Kelpie. It isn't really black, it's more charcoal anthracite. Kelpie is full aniline (see through depth), soft, no break in needed, thick enough, about 2.75oz (1.1mm) thick. It feels neither wet (oily) or dry (waxy). So this is new to me. I like to know what kind of sealant they used on this leather.

View attachment 487813 View attachment 487814 View attachment 487815

This one is a size 40. It is quite roomy. 19.5" shoulder, 24.5" P2P. And very high arm holes. I had a 23" P2P Barnstormer before and it didn't work out because the arm holes are just too high/small. So something to keep in mind when trying these 1920s patterns out. They don't have the side gusset panels to hide the larger P2P and they have very high arm holes. This is how it fits on me, 6', 180lbs.

View attachment 487818 View attachment 487819 View attachment 487820

Let's talk about the VEST!
View attachment 487821

The vest can also be tucked to the side:
View attachment 487823

I've seen vintage catalogue photos about these quirky features. I can't find them now. All I've got is this.
View attachment 487826

I appreciate the vintage vest design. It helps to block the wind when the coat is worn open. And the extra layer helps to trap the warmth when closed.

However, in hindsight, I would ask for the liner to be tacked to the leather shell. Right now it's loose so the whole vest/lining are just floating. I am ok with the open bottom for cleaning, but the lining needs two tacks to secure to the shell somewhere so it's not always moving around. The other thing is that I would ask for the vest to be done in the same color as the coat, so black. It would be easier to pair and wear. I would also go with melton wool instead.

If anyone has a Vintage one that has this vest set up please post it here. I've seen this type of coats lots, but never with the vest option. Thanks.
hey man, can you tell me is the black kelpie a tea-core leather or is it dyed-through?

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
Built-in “vestees” were common in 1930s catalogs but they weren’t usually full-on waistcoats, more like smaller panels; here’s Sears in 1936:

IMG_4379.jpeg

And a patent from that same year for something similar:

IMG_4377.jpeg

Anyway, I still need a good “barnstormer”, sad to see that Albert Richard one that just disappeared off eBay.

IMG_4380.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
hey man, can you tell me is the black kelpie a tea-core leather or is it dyed-through?
Black Kelpie is dyed through, no teacore, it is also very dark dark charcoal, one level before jet black, because of the aniline-ish finish. It has a clear topcoat so does well with water, but makes a bit of sound, not as loud as Badalassi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy