Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The new Aeronautical from Aero Leathers - in Petrol Blue

Simons

New In Town
Another 1 1/2" in body and sleeve length would be my choice. Good muted blue color.
HD

Hi HD

Here's a fit pic, from another site, taken straight on to show the length.

Here's what was said:

"The jacket falls just about a inch below my belt, and the sleeves touch the first knuckle bone on my thumbs. So exactly as I requested it"

So I guess he likes it that way.

cfjk.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would tend to wear the Aeromarine unbuttoned, as illustrated in the picture above, especially where I live. Fit looks fine to me.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Yes ... you're correct. I was confusing your recent posts of your myriad of AL jackets on another thread with this thread. Sorry. [huh]

I have a myriad of Aero's as well including:

2 x ANJ-4's
2 x VDR ( 1xSteer, 1xFQHH)
Highwayman (Oilpull Steer)
1950's Halfbelt (FQHH)
Californian (Buffalo)
Long Halfbelt (FQHH - Medium weight)
Halfbelt Deluxe (FQHH)
D-1

I'm not picky and have NO favourites ... only favourite jackets

Eastmans ... Bill Kelso's ... Lost Worlds ... Schott .... Vanson

I buy them all ..... as I said before no bias and no favourites !

MM ...... If you like it like that, and it's comfortable .. .then it fits .... it is a nice jacket, wear it well !

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It'll be interesting to see what sort of patina, if any, it'll develop over time. I don't think there's any particular problem with the size - it's over the belt line, and the arms are wrinkled up already, so the length is fine there. It's just a really striking, nicely crafted addition to the market. And it's got hand warmers! :D

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
looks at least 1 size too small and way too short. but then again to each his own.

As Sloan said, fit is very much a question of preference. Sleeve length could perhaps do with an extra inch but the jacket length and fit look good to me, in line with the period and considering that it's essentially conceived as a 20's-30's pilot jacket and fighter pilots at that time were typically slender and not too tall, cockpit size obliges.

You'd have to see a frontal pic with the buttons closed to be 100% sure about the chest sizing here but to me it looks good. I personally vastly prefer a form fitting shape and emphasized this for instance when ordering my Maxwell with Aero. Learned the hard way that for me, it's best to stay away from any 50's style cut (boxy, insufficient chest/stomach/waist drop) and even when selecting an inherently more fitting '30s model, to insist they don't size it too big.

I'm too much of a chicken to try MM's breaking in treatment though.

Edward

Bartender
I was lucky enough to have a look at this jacket on Monday and was surprised how soft and supple it was, as I'd always associated steer with being heavier than horse.

Aero seems to have two main types of steer. The heavy, Horween stuff, and a lighter, more flexible type. The latter is what my Highwayman seems to be made from. I like it a lot. It's perfect, imo, for the HWM style. About eight years ago, I handled a lot of jackets from that period over a coupel of years (I was looking for a specific Lewis, or Lewis-type, jacket for a costume piece), and what always surprised me, especially for bike jackets, was how soft they were. This of course gave them a very specific drape that a very stiff, thick hide loses. It makes the HWM a great throw-on jacket, too. What's ideal about it is that while it has the drape characteristics of an old Lewis, it's also sill much more robust (my HWM is as thick as my FQHH jackets, so there's no danger of it being torn as easily as many of those vintage Lewises I looked at would be).

It's certainly very striking and is a great example of how a small manufacturer can listen to and work with its customers.

It's been an interesting process. A year ago, only Heron and some Japanese manufacturers were working in this style. Then a sudden flurry of interest and we're seeing a lot of this. The very recent popularity of the blue is another thing that seems to have come out of nowhere. One of the big advantages, I imagine, of being a niche manufacturer is that, in my opinion, they have that much more direct access to their market. Of course, Aero's business model, to produce on demand for the customer (whether private or retail) also means they don't risk having a lot of stock lying around unsold at any one time, which I should have thought would make it easier for them to take a risk on something a little bit different like this. The jacket design itself is a surefire winner, but it's arguably more of a risk to see if the market will buy into blue.

I think a zipper will be made available for the Aeromarine eventually, it was just put on the back burner at the time of the April Show.

A zip-up version would be a logical move from a commercial POV - one little extra difference for the guy trying to justify the purchase of a second jacket to himself. ;) This one looks interesting. I definitely like the slash pockets. The original jacket in cream leather is on my 'want' list, but if I had to choose just one style of pockets, I'd go with these slash ones, and the chest zip. Edited to add: I'm not sure whether I can see me in this in a blue or not. I like it, just not sure if I like it enough that I like it for itself, or as an excuse for another jacket. ;) I would really like to see this in a cordovan (assuming availability of a hide with the correct drape, in that colour). I would also love to see this - and I think this is the one that would definitely sell me - in a wool / leather mix. A good, strong, burgundy wool body and cordovan sleeves would be outstanding... That I would definitely sign up for.

must be what happens when you sit in the bathtub with a jacket on.

It'd be really helpful if you could post all your snidey little asides in the one post - you know, for those of us with slower connections that benefit from more content per page. Be a good citizen, eh? ;)

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It'd be really helpful if you could post all your snidey little asides in the one post - you know, for those of us with slower connections that benefit from more content per page. Be a good citizen, eh? ;)
He's from NYC: Let's cut him a little slack here Edward! ;) :D

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
He's from NYC: Let's cut him a little slack here Edward! ;) :D

its too small, thats not snidey its factual, looks rediculous and if you want to soak a pefectly good 1,200 dollar leather jacket you are a fool and should be made fun of. and where have my damn smiley faces gone!

As others have noted..to each their own.
The jacket actually looks OK in body length to me...if going for a Lee's 101J type fit. As it's a blue jacket...I can see it.
I'd actually prefer it about an inch to inch and a half longer but it does cover the belt line which is my ultimate line of demarcation.
Sleeve length looks to be right where I like mine.

wdw

One Too Many
it's arguably more of a risk to see if the market will buy into blue.

I quite fancy a blue something, but felt that a jacket might be too much, so I suggested a blue Shackleton to Denny. He said no, as it wouldn't be period correct. I ended up ordering a Dustbowl instead (not blue:)).

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I quite fancy a blue something

Yeah, the whole blue thing is growing on me too....slowly but surely.

I'd be happy to go a jacket but I'd have to find the "right" style and I wouldn't like to double up on a make of jacket I already have, while I don't have an Aeronautical, it definitely isn't me.

The leather and colour look great here though.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi HD

Here's a fit pic, from another site, taken straight on to show the length.

Here's what was said:

"The jacket falls just about a inch below my belt, and the sleeves touch the first knuckle bone on my thumbs. So exactly as I requested it"

So I guess he likes it that way.

cfjk.jpg

Much too short to my taste - makes it looks boxy and awkward. Funny I don't like the pattern at all or that colour but when the two come together I actually dig this jacket. I'd never wear one, but I think it looks good on others. Isn't that Major Major?

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LOL just realised that and took the comment out before anyone would see it !!! Damn you and your quick reading!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou