Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Stetson 25 Thread

Here is one I found this past fall or so.......a mid-late 50's OR Twenty-Five.

Usual Tan SilverBelly (which I really wanted most all of my other than Stetson OR Clones and Stetson "Built Like but not Labeled" OR's are various shades of grey).

Very pleased with this one............another in very fine condition.:)

It specs out with the usual 2 7/8" bound brim but an unusual 6" crown, YES a 6" crown! 2" Dark Brown Roan sweat. It has the onionskin sweat protector. Also has the ribbon lacing at the back of the sweat.

Somebody did not wear this one much.......

The felt is absolutely fabulous, being thin, soft and malleable throughout, including the brim, NO stiffness what so ever. Very fine pouncing and finish with a great hand. Heavy handling by the crown WILL alter the crease....it is that nice.

I have a sort of modified 4 corner with a nice deep center dent. I may add a cross over in the center......

As a bonus it same with the sterling Sheriff/Marshal clip (was BLACK when it arrived, I did a slight careful brightening with wool cloth which really brought out the detail, VERY careful as this clip is delicate). The hooked clip is set just wide enough to go over the OR ribbon.

This hat has become a favorite and positively commented on every time I wear it!:D

1672265769460.png

1672265855009.png

1672265989037.png
1672266033066.png

1672265812657.png

1672265930473.png
1672265950090.png
1672266707517.png

Bonus Photo: Our Miss Biddy inspecting the Sheriff Clip (I surmise she thinks it is a bug).:p

1672266874758.png

Last edited:

Usual Tan SilverBelly (which I really wanted most all of my other than Stetson OR Clones and Stetson "Built Like but not Labeled" OR's are various shades of grey).

It specs out with the usual 2 7/8" bound brim but an unusual 6" crown, YES a 6" crown! 2" Dark Brown Roan sweat. It has the onionskin sweat protector. Also has the ribbon lacing at the back of the sweat.

The felt is absolutely fabulous, being thin, soft and malleable throughout, including the brim, NO stiffness what so ever. Very fine pouncing and finish with a great hand. Heavy handling by the crown WILL alter the crease....it is that nice.

I have a sort of modified 4 corner with a nice deep center dent. I may add a cross over in the center......

As a bonus it same with the sterling Sheriff/Marshal clip (was BLACK when it arrived, I did a slight careful brightening with wool cloth which really brought out the detail, VERY careful as this clip is delicate). The hooked clip is set just wide enough to go over the OR ribbon.

This hat has become a favorite and positively commented on every time I wear it!:D

View attachment 476522
View attachment 476524
View attachment 476527 View attachment 476528

View attachment 476523

View attachment 476525 View attachment 476526 View attachment 476530
Bonus Photo: Our Miss Biddy inspecting the Sheriff Clip (I surmise she thinks it is a bug).:p

View attachment 476531
That is one fab Twenty Five, Mark. Love the Stetson man clip

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 476522
View attachment 476524
View attachment 476527 View attachment 476528

View attachment 476523

View attachment 476525 View attachment 476526 View attachment 476530

View attachment 476531

Congrats on the exquisit addition to your hat rack. I concure with Joe the cowboy on the ribbon is grand. Cheers, Eric -

The Stetson Sheriff is hard to come by. I’ve been looking for one for a while now.

ME Too!

Trying to search for one (in any way) is impossible, as once they separate from the hat people do not know what they even are. Same for the Longhorn Clip. And they are only marked "Sterling", nothing else.

I was so pleased when this hat came with one.....:)

If they are that delicate as you described, they might break.
They are indeed.....I was sweating getting it off (and back on) the hat. To make matters worst it is a locking clip......meaning you have to gently bend the clip (to clear the guard) to get it off and back on. Being Sterling you can do that only so much.......it CAN easily break.:rolleyes:

I was also worried about breaking off a leg while polishing it.

Fortunately I was lucky, THIS TIME. If it was not absolutely black I would not have even tried.

Here is mine that was gifted to me by a Lounger.
I do not have a OR that I could place it on but I may put it on my Silverbelly Stratoliner.

vyE6UI.jpg

fdWOvn.jpg
That is nice. That is a charm someone added the pin to, the Stetson ones are a vertical clip and marked "sterling". You can see the bottom of the clip guard sticking out under the ribbon between the sheriff's legs in the images Jack posted if you look closely.

I have seen these charms and contemplated getting one and having my jeweler do the same. The detail on these charms is pretty good too.

And YES it would look fine on a Strat or any western hat really.........;)

Last edited:
And here are two charms on ebay
1672414493720.png
1672414427592.png
And here are a couple of internet images of a Stetson one, (I did not think to take a picture when I had it off the hat).
Stetson clip 2.jpg Stetson Clip.jpg
Getting a 50's Champ in a 30's Stetson Box does not make the hat a Stetson or a 30's hat.

I was not in any way dissing your cool pin.....I just wanted to inform what an actual Stetson Clip looked like.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Stetson Clip 3.jpg
    Stetson Clip 3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 51

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I just pulled this Stetson Twenty Five out of the freezer, I'm guessing it's probably from the 70's, maybe 80's? The crown is much shorter than my 50s and 60s ORs. It is very much OR styled but not marked as an OR. It is in decent shape overall but has a bit of a ring right above the sweatband, I'm thinking either from sweat or from another hat stored on top of it. Unfortunately it is not forgiving with my LO head shape, the brim gets badly misshapen on my head.
20230421_142821.jpg
20230421_142827.jpg
20230421_142835.jpg
20230421_142846.jpg
20230421_142854.jpg

MikeinRome

Practically Family
Ad for the Stetson 25 in a Summer 1941 Stockman Farmer catalog which is for sale on eBay right now. Says hat has 5 1/2 inch crown and 2 5/8 brim, I think. Mentions hat has an oil silk sweat resister. So looks like 1941 was the first year the Twenty Five was offered. It doesn't say anything about the hat having beaver content, but says it's the best hat you can buy and it's listed beside 3X Beaver hats that are only about half the price, so I'd guess it wouldn't be a huge jump to assume the 25 does have Beaver. Maybe it's like a 4X or 5X Beaver, but I'm only speculating. All this means is there's some 1940's Twenty Fives floating around out there somewhere. I don't see any hats on this thread so far that I would judge to look like they were 40's hats. So let me throw this out there-- if a 3X beaver hat cost $15, does that mean a Stetson Sovereign Twenty is a 4X hat and a Stetson Twenty Five is a 5X hat???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810-151918~2.png
    Screenshot_20230810-151918~2.png
    294.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20230810-154529~2.png
    Screenshot_20230810-154529~2.png
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20230810-155925~2.png
    Screenshot_20230810-155925~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
And here are two charms on ebay
View attachment 476938 View attachment 476937
And here are a couple of internet images of a Stetson one, (I did not think to take a picture when I had it off the hat).
View attachment 476944 View attachment 476945
Getting a 50's Champ in a 30's Stetson Box does not make the hat a Stetson or a 30's hat.

I was not in any way dissing your cool pin.....I just wanted to inform what an actual Stetson Clip looked like.:rolleyes:
I thought there was a thread just on the Stetson Sheriff but couldn’t find one. I wanted to compare the cowboy figures on these ear rings. The owner says they are 1920’s - 1930’s. They are marked Sterling. Well detailed but not a match with the Sheriff.

IMG_3304.jpeg

IMG_3305.jpeg

IMG_3306.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points