Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the old fashoned barber shop shave...

panamag8or

Practically Family
woodyinnyc said:
It is quite possible that it is against the law in California. It is in Florida and New York, the states I know for sure that it is. Has to do with Sterilization and Sanitation.

Not true. I live in Florida, and you can still get a straight razor shave here. The barbers have to use those disposable blades, though, for those sanitation reasons. When my barber told me that, I made a sour face, but he said that they are easier to use, and always sharp.

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
panamag8or said:
Not true. I live in Florida, and you can still get a straight razor shave here. The barbers have to use those disposable blades, though, for those sanitation reasons. When my barber told me that, I made a sour face, but he said that they are easier to use, and always sharp.

You are right. Sorry I wasn't clearer. I meant to say that they have to use a disposable, one use razor. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not fully caffienated yet!

panamag8or

Practically Family
woodyinnyc said:
You are right. Sorry I wasn't clearer. I meant to say that they have to use a disposable, one use razor. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not fully caffienated yet!

No problem. I'm probably only a half cup ahead of you, myself.:coffee:

manton

A-List Customer
panamag8or said:
I was disappointed with that article. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for any type of non-multiblade, non-canned goo shaving. He pretty much said "Meh" about it, like his Edge gel and Fusion was superior. "My towel was too hot"... "It cost too much"... "It's so inconvenient"... :cry:
I didn't say that my home shave was better; I specifically said the barber shave was better. I didn't say the towel was too hot; I just noted that it was hot.

Now, in my book a $36 shave is pretty expensive. I don't recall saying "too much"; that seems like a fair market value. But for someone who is not really rich, it does seem extravagant to do with any frequency. And, yes, going 30 blocks uptown, and 30 blocks back, and spending 45 minutes in the chair is not what I would call convenient.

I enjoyed the experience, but I can see why it is not nearly as popular as it once was.

panamag8or

Practically Family
manton said:
I didn't say that my home shave was better; I specifically said the barber shave was better. I didn't say the towel was too hot; I just noted that it was hot.

Now, in my book a $36 shave is pretty expensive. I don't recall saying "too much"; that seems like a fair market value. But for someone who is not really rich, it does seem extravagant to do with any frequency. And, yes, going 30 blocks uptown, and 30 blocks back, and spending 45 minutes in the chair is not what I would call convenient.

I enjoyed the experience, but I can see why it is not nearly as popular as it once was.

Dang. I was hoping you didn't post here. Oops:eek:

Yes, $36 is expensive, but it is NYC, and most everything is more expensive there. Here, you can get a haircut and the shave for that.

manton

A-List Customer
Yeah, but I can shave myself for free, plus the the cost of the razors. I can't cut my own hair.

I have to shave five days a week. Can you imagine spending $180 a week just for shaving? (Not including tip.) Plus 45 minutes in the chair (no joke) and travel time to and from? It's just not practical.

As an occasional indulgence, however, well, it seems like fun.

panamag8or

Practically Family
manton said:
Yeah, but I can shave myself for free, plus the the cost of the razors. I can't cut my own hair.

I have to shave five days a week. Can you imagine spending $180 a week just for shaving? (Not including tip.) Plus 45 minutes in the chair (no joke) and travel time to and from? It's just not practical.

As an occasional indulgence, however, well, it seems like fun.

That's what I would do, an occasional luxury. I have too much fun shaving nowadays, anyway. Hmm... think of all the shaving stuff I could get for $180.:D

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
Actually I did not write the report it was another John. BUT! It is my understanding that it is against the law to use a regular straight razor in California these days, so I would presume a shavette. Although other barbers will use disposible twin blade shavers too.

Yeah, I heard that too. I don't really understand it though because you can dip the razor in Barbicide for a few minutes and kill anything that might be worrisome.

The only solution these days is to find a barber that knows how to shave with a straight and then bring your own razor for him to maintain and use only on you. An expensive option, no doubt, but it would be worth it.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Matt Crunk said:
I've had the pleasure of a barber shop shave a time or two just for the pure experience. To me it's one of those things every man needs to experience at least once.

Sadly, it's getting harder and harder to find a good old fashioned barber, let alone one who still offers strait razor shaves. My barber is in his late 60's and has been in the business for close to 50 years. When he and others like him are gone I wonder what's to become of the corner barber shop.

Thankfully, it looks like the retro and rockabilly scene had rekindled an interest of sorts in the traditional barber shop. Let's hope it's enough.

-MC

MC,

If I ever get to Decatur (which could happen), I'll be sure to get the name of your barber and stop by for a good old-fashioned shave and a haircut.

Ed

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anybody visited a barber for a shave in Sydney? Maybe my barber would do it. It'd be great to go the city and make it part of a big day out, if there's some fancy place that'd do it in there.

green papaya

One Too Many
the barber used a dirty straight razor to shave around my ears and back of my neck after a haircut, and I got ring worm infection.

I will never let a barber use a straight razor again! I always refuse it if he offers to use one

in CA. they still use straight razors if you want it, I dont know if it's legal? but they still do it.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
green papaya said:
the barber used a dirty straight razor to shave around my ears and back of my neck after a haircut, and I got ring worm infection.

I will never let a barber use a straight razor again!

An unfortunate, but I'm sure extremely rare occurrence. Too bad you now let it deny you one of the most pleasurable parts of a barbershop haircut.

A simple bath in barbacide between clients should be enough to kill just about anything communicable left on the straight razor.

Interestingly enough, I did some inquiring yesterday and found that the use of straight razors is prohibited in Hair Salons (which are regulated by the cosmetology board) but are allowed in Barber Shops (which does not fall under the purview of cosmetology, or any other regulating body)

-MC

panamag8or

Practically Family
Matt Crunk said:
An unfortunate, but I'm sure extremely rare occurrence. Too bad you now let it deny you one of the most pleasurable parts of a barbershop haircut.

A simple bath in barbacide between clients should be enough to kill just about anything communicable left on the straight razor.

Interestingly enough, I did some inquiring yesterday and found that the use of straight razors is prohibited in Hair Salons (which are regulated by the cosmetology board) but are allowed in Barber Shops (which does not fall under the purview of cosmetology, or any other regulating body)

-MC

I mentioned this in the other barber thread. That's why I will only go to a barber now.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
With all this talk of shaving, this may be a good place to ask the following question . . .

Anyone know of any good UNSCENTED aftershave products?

Maybe I'm weird, but I normally don't use any aftershave lotion at all because I don't enjoy wearing cologne or the cologne-type smell associated with most aftershaves.

-MC

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
Instead of an aftershave, look for an unscented moisturizer and use that. However, I think Art of Shaving has an unscented after shave if you are set on after shave.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Matt Crunk said:
With all this talk of shaving, this may be a good place to ask the following question . . .

Maybe I'm weird, but I normally don't use any aftershave lotion at all because I don't enjoy wearing cologne or the cologne-type smell associated with most aftershaves.

-MC

I think Art of Shaving makes an unscented aftershave. Also, you can get some thayer's witch hazel toner at most health food places, and it is unscented.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Matt Crunk said:

-MC

I use Thayer's Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Skin Toner. It helps heal the skin after a shave and helps to close the pores. It has a light rose scent that disappears after about a minute. I really like it and it's fairly inexpensive. You can get it on-line but I get mine at the local Whole Foods (if you have one in your town).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy