Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The open crown Western hat?

Edward

Bartender
Ha sorry, the "brand" of Man, yes.
I'm of the belief that the heft of Jimi's talents cannot be overstated. The guy was such a giant ... and so freakin' humble. This is really lovely:

With all due respect to many, many great players over the years, before and since, I don't think anyone has reinterpreted the guitar to the extent that he did - perhaps only Leo Fender (who, notably, never played guitar) made a bigger change to it. Jimi is one of many people I wish I'd had the chance to meet; in every interview I've ever seen of him he really did come across as genuinely humble - and encouraging of others, some of whom (Billy Gibbons is one who he encouraged, and who is legendary for paying it forward).

I'd love to have seen what Jimi got into going forward. I actually believe he'd have surprised a lot of his present-day fanbase by embracing ever-new technology and musical forms, appreciating the energy of punk rock and such. I never could play like him - I'll never be close to as good - and yet I can't help but feel he'd be huge fun to be around, and he'd never be one to use his skills to 'put down' a lesser player or make them feel small.

I did once, back when the HRC was owned by people with a more liberal policy towards the instruments in its 'Vault', get the chance to play one of his guitars - the Black Angel flying Vee that was custom made for him. I pootled through my version of Purple Haze (and Suzy is a Headbanger for good measure). Unplugged, sadly, buy boy was it a rush. That song felt like it was inside the guitar, and knowing that I was playing the same notes in the same place as he did (albeit in a more ham-fisted way) was almost a spiritual experience. Not least because of all my guitar heroes, he's probably the only one whose guitar I'd actually be able to play properly, being a southpaw player myself. I'm not normally a fan of Vs or the pointy ones, but there was something special in that guitar, almost like it was a Hendrix Horcrux!

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
With all due respect to many, many great players over the years, before and since, I don't think anyone has reinterpreted the guitar to the extent that he did - perhaps only Leo Fender (who, notably, never played guitar) made a bigger change to it. Jimi is one of many people I wish I'd had the chance to meet; in every interview I've ever seen of him he really did come across as genuinely humble - and encouraging of others, some of whom (Billy Gibbons is one who he encouraged, and who is legendary for paying it forward).

I'd love to have seen what Jimi got into going forward. I actually believe he'd have surprised a lot of his present-day fanbase by embracing ever-new technology and musical forms, appreciating the energy of punk rock and such. I never could play like him - I'll never be close to as good - and yet I can't help but feel he'd be huge fun to be around, and he'd never be one to use his skills to 'put down' a lesser player or make them feel small.

I did once, back when the HRC was owned by people with a more liberal policy towards the instruments in its 'Vault', get the chance to play one of his guitars - the Black Angel flying Vee that was custom made for him. I pootled through my version of Purple Haze (and Suzy is a Headbanger for good measure). Unplugged, sadly, buy boy was it a rush. That song felt like it was inside the guitar, and knowing that I was playing the same notes in the same place as he did (albeit in a more ham-fisted way) was almost a spiritual experience. Not least because of all my guitar heroes, he's probably the only one whose guitar I'd actually be able to play properly, being a southpaw player myself. I'm not normally a fan of Vs or the pointy ones, but there was something special in that guitar, almost like it was a Hendrix Horcrux!

Chronologically and most "recently", the three who brought a completely new vernacular to the instrument: Derek Bailey > Jimi > Bill Frisell. I suppose EVH might belong too? Btw, there were times in my life where I was really under the spell of all four but I really feel I'm speaking not as a fan-boy but more objectively.

And here's the flat brim .. Inbound 50s Nutria Quality (seller's pic). Really hoping that's a 10" crown right there ; )
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Chronologically and most "recently", the three who brought a completely new vernacular to the instrument: Derek Bailey > Jimi > Bill Frisell. I suppose EVH might belong too? Btw, there were times in my life where I was really under the spell of all four but I really feel I'm speaking not as a fan-boy but more objectively.

And here's the flat brim .. Inbound 50s Nutria Quality (seller's pic). Really hoping that's a 10" crown right there ; )
View attachment 351671
View attachment 351672
Good one!!
B

Could not decide to post this hat here or in the "WTF, Hats tht are Hard to Beleive". I guess both would be appropriate. Felt started life as a light toned beaver felt and a dye job gone horribly wrong I thought a tribute to ZZ Top would fit the bill. I added an extension to my block to get the 7" open crown. The brim binding put the natural curl to the brim so saved me the pencil curl. It is also too big for me so there is room to wear a bandana underneath. I am kinda gettin used to it and liking it. Added a braided horsehair band for the final touch.
CIMG2584.JPG
CIMG2586.JPG

View attachment 351671
View attachment 351672

Fantastic! Looks almost new.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Always thought Tom Selleck as Monte Walsh looked good in the open crown he bought to attend Chet's wedding (Keith Carradine). After the wedding was over he did dunk it in a barrel of rainwater & shape it.

View attachment 348500
She definitely looks like her mother. That was a good movie. I liked both the original, with Lee Marvin, and Selleck's remake. But, yeah. Some people can really rock the open crowned Western. Just gotta find the right height and the right block shape.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Always thought Tom Selleck as Monte Walsh looked good in the open crown he bought to attend Chet's wedding (Keith Carradine). After the wedding was over he did dunk it in a barrel of rainwater & shape it.

View attachment 348500
She definitely looks like her mother. That was a good movie. I liked both the original, with Lee Marvin, and Selleck's remake. But yeah, some people can really rock the open crowned Western. Just gotta find the right height and the right block shape.

Could not decide to post this hat here or in the "WTF, Hats tht are Hard to Beleive". I guess both would be appropriate. Felt started life as a light toned beaver felt and a dye job gone horribly wrong I thought a tribute to ZZ Top would fit the bill. I added an extension to my block to get the 7" open crown. The brim binding put the natural curl to the brim so saved me the pencil curl. It is also too big for me so there is room to wear a bandana underneath. I am kinda gettin used to it and liking it. Added a braided horsehair band for the final touch. View attachment 352275 View attachment 352276

Wow! Such a great effect. The finish and color sure looks intentional. I bet you could find a market for it if you could reproduce it.

She definitely looks like her mother. That was a good movie. I liked both the original, with Lee Marvin, and Selleck's remake. But, yeah. Some people can really rock the open crowned Western. Just gotta find the right height and the right block shape.
I enjoy the remake most. Not only for Selleck's portrayal of Walsh but for the portrayal of Chet by Keith Carradine. The Carradine's & in particular Keith have laid down a great body of work when it comes to modern Westerns in main supporting roles. Not just character actors such as others have like the Taylors. Keith Carradine has embraced the Western like few others in modern times.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I enjoy the remake most. Not only for Selleck's portrayal of Walsh but for the portrayal of Chet by Keith Carradine. The Carradine's & in particular Keith have laid down a great body of work when it comes to modern Westerns in main supporting roles. Not just character actors such as others have like the Taylors. Keith Carradine has embraced the Western like few others in modern times.
I can't disagree with that at all. I liked both, but like you, I think I liked the remake better. Keith Carradine and Tom Selleck worked really well together for that movie...and Keith should actually go down as one of the best modern day Western actors. He's definitely cut out for it.

Keith should actually go down as one of the best modern day Western actors. He's definitely cut out for it.
David Milch, the writer of Deadwood has said that Carradine wanted to play the part of Hickok. And everyone knows that Hickok was killed in the early days of Deadwood; you can't change history. But Milch went on to say looking back in hindsight & if he had known beforehand the impact Carradine would bring to the set & the series, he would have written some episodes & some story lines with Hickok told in flashback.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, but
David Milch, the writer of Deadwood has said that Carradine wanted to play the part of Hickok. And everyone knows that Hickok was killed in the early days of Deadwood; you can't change history. But Milch went on to say looking back in hindsight & if he had known beforehand the impact Carradine would bring to the set & the series, he would have written some episodes & some story lines with Hickok told in flashback.
I wish he would have. Carradine did a good job as Hickock in that series, for what little time he was in it.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't disagree with that at all. I liked both, but like you, I think I liked the remake better. Keith Carradine and Tom Selleck worked really well together for that movie...and Keith should actually go down as one of the best modern day Western actors. He's definitely cut out for it.
I always enjoyed the Wild West Tech show. He was perfect as the host and narrator.

Yahoody

One Too Many
As the downs got taller around 1900 an open crown hat started looking a bit silly on anyone's head. Past a 6.5" crown even on my 7.5 hat size gets a cartoonish look IMO. But around the turn of the century smaller open crowns were the norm and big 5" brims were not common although a fedora size hat with a 4" brim was.

From the feather in a knight's helmet to a ten gallon movie hat of the 20's it has always been about fashion even if the owner didn't know it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana