Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Adding my refurbished Kevin McAndrew Western to the mix.
Kevin-Mc-Andrew-Redo-6-A.jpg

Kevin-Mc-Andrew-Redo-3-A.jpg

Kevin-Mc-Andrew-Redo-4-A.jpg

Last edited:
When I first got this Churchill Dalworth "40" I liked the hand & overall quality, but didn't like the swoop of the brim. I almost ironed it to my liking but before I got around to it I realized the overall shape was very much like the rare Stetson Hemphill Open Road. From what I can find it is shaped the same as the Hemphill so I am glad I left it alone.

IMG_0621.JPG

1940s Dobbs Westward that had the thin ribbon replaced by a much wider one, courtesy of @Miamibruno . Incredibly soft supple felt, much softer than my Westward from the same vintage. Does it still count as one of the "Other Open Roads"?! :) Definately my favorite hat of the week.
Well, indeed it did BEFORE you changed the ribbon, OR's are thin ribbon. The Dobbs Westward is by origional design an OR clone..........
All that said......your hat looks simply fantastic with the replacement ribbon!
Best,
M

Here are two additions of mine, one a really nice unique vintage Meyser (Thanks Stefan!!)......the other, a much newer (80's) maybe Borsalino.....I MUST say the Borsa (the one with my extra wonky crease) is quite a surprise being now one of the thinnest, nicest, felts in my collection......you can almost blow a crease into the felt! And I love the "frayed" ends on the Borsa ribbon.
Now, the finish on that Meyser.......simply WOW......they called it a "peach" finish, and it is!
And the color of the felt and the contrasting matched binding and ribbon, another WOW!
Anyway, here they are.....
20190213_100355.jpg
20190213_100600.jpg
20190213_100524.jpg
20190213_100536.jpg
20190213_100416.jpg
20190213_100425.jpg
20190213_100449.jpg
20190213_100516.jpg

Last edited:
Here are two additions of mine, one a really nice unique vintage Meyser (Thanks Stefan!!)......the other, a much newer (80's) maybe Borsalino.....I MUST say the Borsa (the one with my extra wonky crease) is quite a surprise being now one of the thinnest, nicest, felts in my collection......you can almost blow a crease into the felt! And I love the "frayed" ends on the Borsa ribbon.
Now, the finish on that Meyser.......simply WOW......they called it a "peach" finish, and it is!
View attachment 156216 View attachment 156217 View attachment 156218 View attachment 156219 View attachment 156220 View attachment 156221 View attachment 156222 View attachment 156223
Both beauties, Mark. I have to try that crease sometime.

1940s Dobbs Westward that had the thin ribbon replaced by a much wider one, courtesy of @Miamibruno . Incredibly soft supple felt, much softer than my Westward from the same vintage. Does it still count as one of the "Other Open Roads"?! :) Definately my favorite hat of the week.

Well, since we've discovered very old ads on here of Open Roads with wider ribbons (before the current configuration became what we now know as an OR), sure!

Regardless, like @ M Hatman says, great looking hat.

Well, since we've discovered very old ads on here of Open Roads with wider ribbons (before the current configuration became what we now know as an OR), sure!

Regardless, like @ M Hatman says, great looking hat.

I will say those early 1930's wide crown ribbon OR's did not have a bound edge. And by those standards of all OR simular hats from all periods, ANY hat could qualify as an OR clone..........and I do not think that is really the intention of this thread which is clearly interested in the now classic OR configuration.....a configuration that has been consistiant (minor brim width variance) now for over 75 years and copied by MANY hat companies.
Just saying......
As with the Stetson Whippet, few would call any hat without the wider "french bound" edge and wide crown ribbon as any kind of Whippet, but in 1922 the Whippet in no way resembles that hat as we now call a "classic" as well. Now not just any hat is a whippet, Whippet clone.
And yes, the westward looks great even with the wide ribbon...;)
M
PS: Need I mention that the ORIGIONAL configuration of a Dobbs Westward IS the classic thin ribbon OR configuration? I personally love the "new" look, but would really have liked to see a picture here of the hat before the ribbon was changed out......if for nothing else than the historical perspective of the hat as originally sold.

Last edited:
Here is another sort of Stetson OR/Stratoliner clone. More Stratoliner really because of the crown blocking and ribbon configuration. Sort of a clone as it has only a 2 1/8 inch brim!:eek::eek::eek:
In real life it is a medium grey/blue...............it was NOS and has the heavy gold liner emblem more typical of the 50's.....but......I would guess mid-sixties, though they generally used cheaper liners by then.....though the black sweat and $13.95 price clearly places it there.
Felt is actually quite nice and it was open crown and not a pre-formed or pressed crease........
20190213_174100.jpg
20190213_173624.jpg
20190213_173640.jpg
20190213_173738.jpg
20190213_173802.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 156216 View attachment 156217 View attachment 156218 View attachment 156219 View attachment 156220 View attachment 156221 View attachment 156222 View attachment 156223
Super hats! That Borsa crease needs to be in the Crease thread!! Dynomite!!
B

I will say those early 1930's wide crown ribbon OR's did not have a bound edge. And by those standards of all OR simular hats from all periods, ANY hat could qualify as an OR clone..........and I do not think that is really the intention of this thread which is clearly interested in the now classic OR configuration.....a configuration that has been consistiant (minor brim width variance) now for over 75 years and copied by MANY hat companies.
Just saying......
As with the Stetson Whippet, few would call any hat without the wider "french bound" edge and wide crown ribbon as any kind of Whippet, but in 1922 the Whippet in no way resembles that hat as we now call a "classic" as well. Now not just any hat is a whippet, Whippet clone.
And yes, the westward looks great even with the wide ribbon...;)
M
PS: Need I mention that the ORIGIONAL configuration of a Dobbs Westward IS the classic thin ribbon OR configuration? I personally love the "new" look, but would really have liked to see a picture here of the hat before the ribbon was changed out......if for nothing else than the historical perspective of the hat as originally sold.
Geez, didn't realize you'd take it do personally, Mark.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Geez, didn't realize you'd take it do personally, Mark.

Fruno,
Not personally at all my friend...;) I just don't like "muddied waters" as they say....and this thread IS all about the thin ribbon clones. I DO love seeing everybody's hat.....just in their proper place. We have a LOT of newbies getting into vintage and they need to know "what is what" in regard to predominant hat styles and I don't like adding to the all to present confusiono_O that already exists. Heck just look to eBay for all the so called "Stratoliners", "Whippets" and "Open Roads" for sale, that are anything but those hat models, the ones we here keep laughing at all the time!!!:D
It is I think my "curator" "historian" gene....keeping everything in it's proper place and documented accordingly.......at least as well as we can anyway:rolleyes:o_O;)
No, I understood your post of inclusion of a really nice hat (square), but my bad gene would not allow that it fit in this round hole......;)
My bad really.....:oops:
M;)

Fruno,
Not personally at all my friend...;) I just don't like "muddied waters" as they say....and this thread IS all about the thin ribbon clones. I DO love seeing everybody's hat.....just in their proper place. We have a LOT of newbies getting into vintage and they need to know "what is what" in regard to predominant hat styles and I don't like adding to the all to present confusiono_O that already exists. Heck just look to eBay for all the so called "Stratoliners", "Whippets" and "Open Roads" for sale, that are anything but those hat models, the ones we here keep laughing at all the time!!!:D
It is I think my "curator" "historian" gene....keeping everything in it's proper place and documented accordingly.......at least as well as we can anyway:rolleyes:o_O;)
No, I understood your post of inclusion of a really nice hat (square), but my bad gene would not allow that it fit in this round hole......;)
My bad really.....:oops:
M;)
No harm no foul. I was a bit prickly last night. I actually thought I had successfully deleted that a few minutes later.

I get your point, though.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
And the color of the felt and the contrasting matched binding and ribbon, another WOW!
Love those Hatman. I can just imagine the peach finish.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko