Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pelikan Fountain Pen M800

Well, I finally broke down and bought the 800 series Pelikan fountain pen in the red stripe version with fine nib (M800). In the current series there are the 200 and 400 which are a smaller pen of about the same size, the 400 is the higher end pen with gold nib. The 600 is a little bigger, 800 bigger still and their biggest is the M1000. I have a 200, 400, 605, 1000 so this 800 fills in the size for me and is one of the 2 standard colors I didn't have. I will need a blue stripe at some point. The 800 was for a long time the largest pen they made but Pelikan took a leap and made the 1000.

Anyway the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia was having their big sale and i got a fair discount. Could have gotten it cheaper BUT this way i supported my local shop and my favorite repair guy, which is something we need to do once in a while.

It writes wonderfully and will be inspirational towards kick starting some necessary correspondence!

This page here shows the Pelikan pen sizes and the types of nibs available.
http://www.cajunpen.com/html/pelikan_sizechart.html

D

DeaconKC

Congrats John on the 800. Just got my first Pelikan myself [a humble 150] and it won't be my last.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Great choice of pen - the M800 is one of the best modern pens around, and a true classic. It's also the best pen in the Pelikan Souveran line, the M1000 being a little too big for most people, in my experience.

I think the red stripe is the most attractive option - If I were to buy a new Pelikan today, this is the pen I would go for.

TarHeel1911

New in Town
John:

Congratulations on the addition to your Pelikan collection-they are fabulous pens. I have 2 600s and just got a 200 as my "daily driver".

Can you give me the address and contact info for the pen shop in Monrovia? I'm in San Diego, but I go to that area on business fairly often.

FPS info

TarHeel1911 said:
Can you give me the address and contact info for the pen shop in Monrovia?
The Fountain Pen Shop
Fred Krinke (Krin-key)
2640 S. Myrtle Ave
Unit 12
Monrovia, CA 91016

626-294-9974

Fred's email: fredspen@yahoo.com

Tues -Friday 10-4 Sat 10-3

Best to call first as they may be off to a pen show, SCPCC club meeting or some type of event.

D

DeaconKC

John, try Private Reserve's Midnight Blues, it is a gorgeous deep blue and my Pel loves it.

I got the Blues.

Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue Moon!

I have a number of blues from PR including some 2004 DC Super Show blue and the Lake Placid Blue. I love Namiki's, pelikan's and Lamy's Blue inks too. I got Levenger's Cobalt blue and found i needed to add some distilled water to it to get it not to smudge so much, now it works great. Waterman's Blue has a odd smell to me. Parker, Shaeffer, Visconti I have them too.

I need to rinse out some of my fountain pens and grab some Different colors and go to town now. i feel inspired.

Fine point writer.

Thanks to you all for the congrats!

Pelikan is one brand of several that I just love to reccomend to some one interested in fountain pens. They are neither the cheapest nor the most expensive, but are one brand of what I see as the highest quality pens.

When they go on sale, it is an incentive to get one.

I think Swisher and also Joon has some on special in the M400 line still.

I will look at the M300 and the M150 to round out the "golf bag" of Pelikans. Maybe someday, I'll be able to afford some of their limited editions.

THis fine point nib seems to just glide along on the paper.

I am happy with this M800!

I have been using it to address envelopes as I am sending out resumes again!

Highlander

A-List Customer
Good Morning John:

I have the M800 Fountain Pen. I don't know what nib you chose, or if you got a choice, but I personally have the Double Wide Oblique. In Fountain Pens, I like the broader nibs, at least the Broad Nib. But, I love the Oblique nib. Most companies will change out the nib if the pen you got doesn't have the one you want.

I just thought you might want to consider that if your pen came with a different nib than you'd prefer.

Steve

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, liking the nib is what it's all about. I often find that when I get a deal on something it's usually not the nib I want or some such. Knowing that you can exchange sometimes is nice.

Glad you like your pen, I have the Mont Blancs, Visconti's, and Waterman to name a few, and I always seem to pick up my Soverougn 800 to put in my pocket..

DerMann

Practically Family
I love Pelikan 4001 Konigsblau, it's the perfect shade of blue. Also have 4001 Brilliant Green.

I never considered buying a Pelikan pen though, as none of my pens are newer than 1950 :x

Will definitely consider it, though.

PenMan

Familiar Face
Congrats, John.

May it bring you joy for a long time. I had a 1000 and an 800, but sold both. The 800 was great for short notes, but for any more extended writing it was too big for me--and I don't have small hands. I have the blue 600, but never really use it: there is something about its nib that doesn't do it for me. It doesn't glide the same as my Charleston or vintage Parker Vacuumatic, which is a really beautiful writer. Even my Phileas and Balances produce a better flow. Having read this thread, it sounds like I need to try the M600 with some different inks. Maybe I'll find one that will produce the feel I'm after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo