Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect Jacket

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I do not own a proper blazer/sports coat. I'm from south Texas and now live in a small western Colorado town. I have never really felt the need or desire for a quality jacket until recently. My signifigant other, Jennifer, has recently become an M.D. and I'm starting to go to a lot of the local Dr.s functions and seem to be a bit under dressed for some occasions.
I need a jacket that will work with my nice cowboy boots, shirt, tie and slacks as well as with a 'nice' pair of Levi's and a weathered demim shirt. It' also has to look great under a swell fedora.

FWIW, I'm a fit 6'2" 210lbs with a 48'ish chest and 36" sleeve. I've tried on a few 48"-50" jackets that fit well in the chest but are waaaayy too large in the gut.
Can y'all help out an ignorant Texas boy?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well, considering the type of events you are talking about, you can never go wrong with a blue blazer. They are a pretty standard fare and well accepted and go with most anything. Considering your size you will undoubtedly have to get it taylored to fit correctly.

fedoralover

Feraud

Bartender
I have a preference for this.
Picture5503.jpg

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Feraud said:
Picture5503.jpg

That I like.

I wish more vintage clothing fit my shoulders. I've picked up a few nice vintage shirts only to split the back on them.

I saw a great coat on a gent the other day when I was in San Antonio. It was a very cool, but understated, brown base and a greenish check pattern to it. My description is awful though and cannot do the coat justice.
I should have asked him where he got it.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I have to add a vote for the basic blue blazer. Get a good one, made of finely woven wool. Brooks and Burberry are great examples.

Peacoat

Bartender
No question about it, go with the blue blazer. Add the gray trousers with a conservative blue and red striped tie and you can smooze with the relaxed crowd. For a nice informal look, add the basic all cotton blue shirt with button down collars. All of this is easily obtained at Joseph Banks or Brooks Brothers. How do I know this? Simple. I have lived in Texas on two separate occasions, and I have friends who are physicians. Go to a bunch of social functions as well.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
If you want a decent look that will look dressy enough, but still suit your style,I suggest a western styled sportcoat. Nothing too gaudy. Just western trim and touches.

Salv

One Too Many
I was thinking Western Jacket as well. Here's one that ended on eBay two days ago for just $7.99 (not your size, I know, but there are lots of similar jackets up at the moment) - search for vintage western jacket.

graylevisj1.JPG

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i've been thinking.....

What are the ohers wearing at these functions ? Not saying that you have to look like them, just a point of reference.

I do believe in one's own personal style...

Personally I like the western cut blue blazer with the jeans...button down white shirt but no tie, and your boots....peanut brittle is my favorite......this to me is a very nice classic "western" look.

second the brooks brothers or similar quality blue blazer with a french blue shirt...tie,,,,could be a maroon with a little pattern or possible soemthing in the yellow family....your pants could be front pleated tan in wool, or gabs....i am stuttering about the cuffs...don't get them hemmed with that boot cut break in them, but go with the traditional hem....

I know i dropped the jeans in the first one, but if it is a dressier occassion it would work fine...

but most of all I would invest the money and buy the better quality clothes and have them immpecably tailored for you....

hope this helps....

and shine those boots !!!

mark the shoehsine boy

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
If you have not already done so, you might look for the description "athletic fit". Made just for those broad-shouldered Texas boys. That's what my husband wears. :)

--Leslie

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Picture5503.jpg

This'll sound really dumb - but I have a jacket almost just like that, not quite as vintage-y, but nice. My question is...what do I wear with it, in terms of shirt, pants, etc.? I've never been able to wear in in such a way as to make it look right.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Atomic Glee said:
I have a jacket almost just like that, what do I wear with it, in terms of shirt, pants, etc.?
Trousers in just about all shades of gray, black and beige/cream/white. Shirts in white, blue, grey, pink, lavender, etc....... And, a white linen pocket square. ;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peacoat said:
No question about it, go with the blue blazer. Add the gray trousers with a conservative blue and red striped tie and you can smooze with the relaxed crowd. For a nice informal look, add the basic all cotton blue shirt with button down collars. All of this is easily obtained at Joseph Banks or Brooks Brothers. How do I know this? Simple. I have lived in Texas on two separate occasions, and I have friends who are physicians. Go to a bunch of social functions as well.

Agreed - a blue blazer & gray flannels is completely appropriate for that sort of group. You'd rather be underdressed than wear a blazer? Sounds like you already are. Get a western-styled jacket for more casual occasions. But lose the cowboy boots, Levi's, Stetson and weathered denim shirt if you're trying to fit in with the crowd at the dressier affairs with your significant other's co-workers. They're too completely different styles of attire. It's all about wearing the attire that's appropriate at the different functions you attend.

RE: "I've tried on a few 48"-50" jackets that fit well in the chest but are waaaayy too large in the gut" - that's what tailors and alterations are for.

Tex
Well..Perhaps this may be vintage heresy...but at 6'2" 185 lbs...I have a couple of courduroy jackets(Slate&Med Brown) with suede elbow patches to wear with denim or wool slacks and my Lucchese's. Very casual with open collar...dressier with tie. It seems certain Fedoras would fit in nicely. Sounds like a tailor is certainly required.
HD

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll be going to Brooks Brothers in San Antonio next month for a jacket. My stepfather knows the tailor well since he's a Brooks Brothers clothes horse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24