Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pocket Phone- Cell Phones

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Makes sense. Actually - depending on workplace dress code - I should have thought this could be more of an issue for the ladies, given that women's clothing, especially that of vintage design, tends to be somewhat less accomodating in terms of pockets etc. I should have thought that you won't have too much of a problem with finding a suitable holster for the Blackberry - one of the biggest plusses, I always find, of going with a big market leading brand is that there is a much wider range of third party accessories from which to choose.

Yes...and this is but one of the reasons I do not dress even remotely 'vintage inspired' at work.

I have one of those jobs where I could end up crawling under a desk to fix a router....etc.

I wear trousers, which at least let one clip the holster to the waistband if there are no pockets to clip to.

I have only had the Blackberry a few months...so am still looking for a case I like.

I am lucky in that i am not actually on call...so after work hours its my discretion whether I answer calls or email.

So this carrying it around only applies to work...otherwise its in my purse.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've been looking for a new iPhone case for a few months now. This offering from Factron really caught my eye.

factron-iphone-03.jpg

factron-iphone-06-07-09.jpg

factron-iphone-06.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Huh. Now that is an interesting case. Not sure if I like those pointed corners but the design is eye catching. The camera lenses are a nifty add on.

HatRak

Familiar Face
Ephraim Tutt said:
Welcome to the Lounge HatRak.
I'm really not sure at what point accoutrements (forgive the British spelling) become tools. Why is a phone a tool and a watch an accoutrement? Cufflinks and tie pins are functional objects and could be defined as tools, yet none of us would view them in such banal terms.
I suppose the answer lies in the fact that for generations, watches, cufflinks etc have been designed as much as pieces of personal jewellery as functional objects. This cannot be said of phones.
Time may yet change this, of course.

Thanks ET, for the warm welcome!

Perhaps the question could be put: "When does a tool become an accouterment?"

I would suggest that cufflinks and tie pins (tools in the sense that they are primaily functional) are clothing accouterments because they derive their purpose from the clothing. A tie pin or a cufflink is bereft without a tie or cuff. Jewelry, whose primary function is decorating the body, is by definition an accessory/accouterment.

Watches, it seems, have crossed over. As I understand it, they began as small clocks, worn around the neck, more as decoration than function given the state of early timepieces. As technology advanced, the small clocks became small enough to fit in a pocket and accurate enough to be useful. It wasn't until WWI, when doughboys started strapping their pocket watches to their wrists (easing the difficulty of fishing them from their pockets) that the wristwatch was born. One of the earliest purpose-built wristwatches, the Cartier Tank, came of this. Made by a jeweler, as much for personal decoration as function, the watch morphed from tool whose primary purpose was function, to a fashion item whose purpose was as much personal decoration as timepiece. Today, there are watches which have all but entirely bridged the divide. I've seen Movado watches from which I cannot determine the time!

For me, the cell phone remains a tool, and its role as such becomes more firmly cemented as its list of functions expands. Mind you, I love my smartphone, and carry it 24/7. At my fingertips I have all the contact information of my family, friends, and business; diary; days worth of music; email and text messaging; internet access; GPS navigation; games and entertainments; critical documents for my home and business; etc.. But it isn't an accessory. Not yet. Perhaps some day.

HatRak

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
With carpenters you refer to point to point walkie talkie devices. With the Cell phone you are now talking about an accouterment. Like an Umbrella or a monocle, the cell phone has surpassed the tool purpose into fashion and within time it will be style, and perhaps if it becomes small enough, it will become a tool again. Right now it is an accessory as interesting as the pipe.

Cell phone = Accouterment
As of now!

Matt,

Actually, I was thinking more along these lines:

th_PWO8612.jpg

Tools, tools, and more tools . . . yeah! Accouterments . . . not in my thinking . . .

cptjeff

Practically Family
Edward said:
Slightly :eek:fftopic: , but I can't believe that the mobile telephone has been a reality for about three decades now, and still noone has produced a licensed, screen-accurate copy of Kirk's communicator that is also a fully functioning mobile.

Remember the first modern flip phone was named the Star tac... It's certainly been implied in the design of every flip phone made.

Also...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Create-a-Star-Trek-Communicator-edition-RAZR/

Bertie

New in Town
Edward said:
Mostly I carry my phone in either a jacket or shirt pocket. I've never been one for carrying it in my bag, as I'd miss far too many calls that way,

Well, thanks for your input, all. I'd say it seems (generally) agreed upon that the jacket or shirt pocket is to be preferred to the belt clip.

BTW, I very much agree that carrying the phone in my briefcase or school-bag is impractical--just watching my mother try to fish her phone out of her purse before the 4th ring attests to that!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paddy's Vintage Solution.

This is the 'best' (so far) for my iPHONE4. Vintage leather (which will scratch, stain and get 'all the better looking' for it over time! ). Holds and protects the phone firmly with a flip front (no magnets or catches to scratch the phone with). Made in Calfornia by SGP. Just to be double sure I've covered the phone in a protective film (by Invisible Shield, who developed the product originally to protect the rotar blades of military helicopters). You would hardly know it was there - which is what I wanted.

Anyway, the leather case just looks like a vintage leather cigarette case!! and is sweat resistant for all you dancers out there! In looks, it LOOKS GREAT! Trust me on this one (as I am pretty picky!). And has a lovely dark claret/maroon velvetesque lining which is very, very 'smart' and 'classic.'

Paddy's TIP FOR TODAY...? if you have an iPhone4 - go treat yourself to this! ;)

iphone4003.jpg

iphone4002.jpg

iphone4001.jpg

iphone4004.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy