Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoy Buco J-100 questions

Aaronblitz

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I am new to this form but not new to purchasing nice clothing and items. I will be turning 40 soon and would like to purchase a high quality leather jacket. I’d like to use it for everything from work, to go out on the town to general wear. I like in Vancouver, Canada so similar climate to say Seattle.

I have my eye on the J-100 mainly because of its clean simple lines. It’s the right amount of show without drawing to much attention to myself. I am torn between the mandarin collar and the transitional collar maybe some thoughts on that.

Lastly I cannot find the J-100 in Vancouver I found one store that had it but they are sold out and no plans to restock anytime soon. I believe I can order direct from The Real McCoy if I am not mistake?

I am 6’2 roughly 185-190 lbs with a 41-42 in chest depending on the season. I have a long torso and arms as well. I like jackets that sit a bit longer around where the belt hits or just below.

I am thinking the 42 in this jacket should work for a snug slim fit and the ability to wear a light weight sweater or hoodie under it.

Any thoughts or help on the above would be greatly appreciated. Of course if you recommend another style or jacket that would be ok as well.

Thank you for your help,
Aaron

Damon141

Practically Family
If you are tall and lean this might just work out for you. I believe they are known to have longer arms and torso than many. That was my original dream jacket for the same reasons but I’m 5’9” with a 46” chest and the one in my size would be way too long and baggy in the midsection.

Try a store with a return policy just in case. There are only a handful of retailers in the USA but Canada had a lower population so probably even less stores. Maybe you can ask your store to order it from Real McCoys

Aaronblitz

New in Town
If you are tall and lean this might just work out for you. I believe they are known to have longer arms and torso than many. That was my original dream jacket for the same reasons but I’m 5’9” with a 46” chest and the one in my size would be way too long and baggy in the midsection.

Try a store with a return policy just in case. There are only a handful of retailers in the USA but Canada had a lower population so probably even less stores. Maybe you can ask your store to order it from Real McCoys
Thanks for the reply. I have an athletic build so not super lean but not super bulky either. I like to hear its cut long in the length and arms both of those things I need.

Do you think on my measurements 6’1 185lbs approx and 41-42 inch chest I should be looking at the size 42? I want it to be fitted but would also like to get a light sweater I think under it and be able to zip up and breath?

Those that own this jacket do you just wear a t-shirt under it or long sleeve t? Maybe I should abandon the thought of needing to slightly layer…?

Damon141

Practically Family
Take this with a grain of salt because I don’t own one but I’ve learned a lot about sizing from reading. Owners of this particular jacket will surely chime in also.

But if you look at standardandstrange.com and go to the RMC J100, you will see their model is 6’1” 180lbs with a 41” chest and he is wearing a size 40. If you jump to a size 42 then the chest is 44.5” and the shoulder width jumps from 18.75” to 19.5” which is pretty wide, sleeves go from 24.75” on the size 40 to a lengthy 26” on the size 42 and the extra sleeve length, you have to factor in the extra shoulder width because wider shoulders make sleeves longer.

Look at these pictures for some judgement.
You can also judge the sleeves and shoulders by having someone with a tailor tape measure whichever shoulder width across, then mark that spot and take the tape and start the tape there and bring it down your arm to get an idea of where the sleeves will end. You don’t want them bunched up too much, they will naturally crease at the elbows but imo they look terrible when they can’t naturally hang down to your thumb without being smooth
F10DA885-F631-43C1-9AC8-B785817A13B9.png
BCAC037E-2E32-4A51-8341-AE663B725B09.png
DC2365D2-18E8-49A4-B830-420CE06978E3.png

Aaronblitz

New in Town
Wow thank you so much for the detailed reply. I actually called standard and strange and spoke to Gen on the phone. Super nice guy and based on his model pictures I think I am more broad in the shoulders then him. I am definitely right in between a size 40 and 42. I went to my local shop and tried on a Y’2 leather the singe riders jacket and although I could wear the 40 it was a bit tight in the chest where the 42” according to the shop owner was perfect. I understand these are different brands but seems like I am closer to a 42 than a 40. It’s just a sizeable purchase and nothing is close by really.

I do like your suggestion on using some measuring tape and have someone measure my shoulders and then from the end point measure the sleeves. Good suggestion thank you. I believe standard and strange does have a return policy up to 14 days so there is that…thanks for all the help!

Damon141

Practically Family
I think people overestimate their shoulders, 19” shoulders on a jacket is pretty wide, Gen could go lower if you look at the picture with his arm up, you can see the creased overhang. But definitely try one on if you have the chance even if it’s not the same model. Fit is the most important part.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
You can also reach out to RMC directly (via their webshop). They answered all my queries in very short time, and their advice was always spot on (just make sure to asko open questions...;)).

I love the J-100 from RMC. Been on the fence for one quite some time...

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Im 6'2 with a 43" chest, about 200lbs with average build, and have a RMC J100 in size 44 which fits great - equally comfortable with both a t-shirt or a sweater etc. I would suggest from your details the size 42 would probably be the size to try for you, I definitely wouldnt go smaller as the design in inherently quite restricitve anway, and larger may swamp you a bit - as above RMC are very helpful via their webshop so check them out.

Aaronblitz

New in Town
Thanks everyone this actually very helpful. It is sounded more and ore like the 42 is the best size for me.

I checked out a few styles that were close such as the iron heart battle edition that only self edge has. It has the mandarin collar but it appears to be thicker than the J100 and has that bacon collar look that I dont prefer. Maybe it was just a bad photo? That jacket looked more biker then I am after. I like a nice leather jacket but I dont want it to look to motorcycle like if that makes sense. Something I can dress up or down for casual outttings and more dressy with some style.

Not sure if I am on the right track or other suggestions I am open too as well. Thanks everyone this info is super helpful!

Damon141

Practically Family
I have the RMC J100 in a 42
I'm 5'9 177lbs with a 42" chest and I only wear the jacket unzipped with a tee, and it fits a thick hoodie under just fine. You gotta allow at least 3 inches in the chest to breath.

N8202Gc.jpg

uUWtL1W.jpg

8dBUN9u.jpg

BKWtJYa.jpg
Did they change the measurements at one point because they say Gen at standardandstrange wears a 40 with 24.75” sleeves and he is 6’1”
This fits you perfectly at 5’9” with a size 42 with 26” sleeves.
Gen has 3 inches of height on you which will inevitably has longer arms, combine that with 1.25” less sleeves length.

It’s really hard to size these, case in point try them on in person or make sure there is an exchange or refund policy

Aaronblitz

New in Town
Yeah good catch I even noticed the measurements from standard and starnagr are different from the ones provided by RMC official site. Just makes the whole process confusing. It’s hard for me being a Canadian resident as I have to ship to Canada pay duty and tax and if it’s not right ship back and start the process again. That would cost me probably $500 if I had to exchange. Makes me think that I should perhaps look at something different that I can purchase locally so that I can try on. I’d rather have my second choice that fits properly vs something that is my first choice and doesn’t fit right and have to go through the hassle of returning with customs etc.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
Did they change the measurements at one point because they say Gen at standardandstrange wears a 40 with 24.75” sleeves and he is 6’1”
This fits you perfectly at 5’9” with a size 42 with 26” sleeves.
Gen has 3 inches of height on you which will inevitably has longer arms, combine that with 1.25” less sleeves length.

It’s really hard to size these, case in point try them on in person or make sure there is an exchange or refund policy

I think with some of these jackets you can fall within a range of sizes (as evidenced by Carlos840's jacket database) Things like a quarter inch here or there end up working to fit your body fine when creasing of the sleeves or areas of movement in the armpits and chest settle in. The j100 in the back seem to be slightly wider to compensate for range of movement, and slightly larger areas of the back end up kind of creasing into pivot points of your body serving like an action back the the j100 doesn't have that other cafe racers have.

I bought mine last year through S&S and when brand new, it looked exactly like it did on Gen. You need some space for movement. The shoulders settle in after breaking it in. I've had mine for a year and just wear it doing all sorts or range of motions. I go back and forth between it being too big looking but all I can think is if I got a size smaller it would be too constrictive in the chest for movement.

Also you gotta consider if you're taking measurements off a favorite jacket, to factor in leather thickness. I took measurements off a fave canvas trucker jacket and had to make sure to consider the material thickness into it.

The sleeves also ended up looking way better once the creases set in and i thought they would be too long on me.

But yeah I bought it blindly hoping it would fit and it does.

Last edited:

Aaronblitz

New in Town
This is all very good advice thank you everyone. I’m going to reach out to RMC and see what they suggest and if they say 42 I’m 95% sure that’s the way to go. Wish I could just try on in person to be 100% sure but this is t the first time I e had to gamble with online sizing. Having said that at $1,900 this would be my largest gamble yet. I’m also thinking a combined vacation. Near one of these stores could be a possibility but now this jacket is really starting to get get expensive haha.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero makes a J-100 (Board Racer) and Bison Trading carries them in Canada. You can probably get one in your exact size with minimal effort.

Aaronblitz

New in Town
Oh wow that’s an excellent suggestion and not far from where I live currently (Tsawwassen) thank you for that suggestion!

Damon141

Practically Family
Whatever you choose, don’t just disappear, stay and post pictures to show that new jacket off.
IMO is great incentive for all these vets (not me, I’m learning) but the ones that donate their time and knowledge to give you advice which helps so many people.

Honestly so many people have given me so much advice it’s really a great community.

Damon141

Practically Family
I 100% promise I will post pictures of whatever I end up going with. This forum has been incredible and offered solid advice. Really appreciate everyone’s help thank you.
Being in Canada you have the shop Vancouver. I not Looked at everything they have now but they used to have a similar jacket to the Real McCoys J100

maybe they can get more in, they could be on their way even for fall considering it’s summer

C5B1AA5E-0EAC-4A3F-A8E4-C0A6131A6E70.jpeg

Aaronblitz

New in Town
Absolutely I work 10 min from that shop and was actually planning on going in there tomorrow on my lunch break. I’ve definitely purchased a few items from them awesome shop! They just seem to be sold out of a lot of things in my size…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko