Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rockabilly Make Up Thread

Antje

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Great explanations here ladies!

For me, psychobilly = rockabilly + punk.

I always found that the same.

For me it is hard to explain if I'm rockabilly or vintage, maybe both, I always try wearing vintage style clothes, I love the look of the 40's and 50's, but I know when I wear my leopard peep toes, my cardi's and a leopard top I defenitly look more rockabilly then vintage inspired, I never change my make up though.
Only on workdays I will somethimes put on a different color then ussual, but otherwise most of the time, brown kinda shades with winged eyeliner and red lips

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
The way rockabilly music was explained in the documentary "Welcome to the Club; The Women of Rockabilly" makes the most sense to me. Rockabilly was a combination of early rock and roll and hillbilly music. It has a distinct country flavor to it. Check out The Collins Kids, Brenda Lee, Janis Martin, and Wanda Jackson on youtube for an idea of what the music sounded like. You can also see what these ladies looked like back then.

melanie

One of the Regulars
Babydoll said:
The way rockabilly music was explained in the documentary "Welcome to the Club; The Women of Rockabilly" makes the most sense to me. Rockabilly was a combination of early rock and roll and hillbilly music. It has a distinct country flavor to it. Check out The Collins Kids, Brenda Lee, Janis Martin, and Wanda Jackson on youtube for an idea of what the music sounded like. You can also see what these ladies looked like back then.

Cheers, I'll do that :)

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I think Tishkaminx gave a good overview, especially when it comes to the brightness and kitsch in rockabilly, like dice, swallows, cherries, loooooads of polka dots.
For me colour´s one reason for why I´m wearing more rockabilly fashion than vintage clothes. I just love bright things and have to learn how to sew first so I can wear all the lovely vintage dresses I´ve seen around without making a compromise when it comes to colours.
I also enjoy some psychobilly in my wardrobe, as long as it´s not to punk. Did anyone say "zombie pin-up"?

Another aspect of todays rockabilly culture seems to be the affinity for body modifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider