Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the *stigma* with wearing red lipstick

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ShannaSpade said:
Maisie, Mary Kay did discontinue Paprika. Have you tried Red Salsa? It's a lovely color, as well. If you want a sample, I could send you one.

~Shanna
I just found out Mary Kay is discontinuing my new favorite red lipstick, Red Salsa, in December. They will have a Red but I haven't seen the shade yet. I hope it is as matte but moisturizing as the Red Salsa.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I bought a red lipstick several years ago, JANE lipcolour in Poppie. I wasn't looking for anything specific, just thought every girl should have a tube of red lipstick, (I think I was 17 at the time.) I began wearing the colour recently and it's gorgeous on me. A really nice bluish red. Unfortunately, from years of using it to write love notes on bathroom mirrors, and tossing it around my makeup box, it's beaten up and not much is left. It's discontinued of course.

I've started the difficult search for a replacement. I bought a Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Red Hot. It was too bright and I lost it anyways. Rimmel's Rich Moisture Cream Lipstick in Diva Red is the best bluish red I could find. I also purchased L'oreal's Colour Rich in British Red. It's a lighter pink red.

Now I'm pregnant and my skin is breaking out BAD. Red lippies are a big no no :( I think to pull off a bright colour like that, you need a clear complexion. Boo, I'm really going to miss red lipstick. Maybe I'll get 'the glow' later on in my pregnancy.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congatualtions, Marie-Anne

Congratulations!!!!!! I'm not pregnant (hubby's in Iraq for starters ;) ) but my skin was breaking out terribly. I switched skin care regimens and it cleared right up. I also found 2 new (to me) concealers that work miracles on my red blotches, pink eyelids and purple eye circles. So, I'm able to wear red lipsticks again.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I LOVE red lipstick. (Actually, I love red everything.) I wear it often and proudly, breaking every red lipstick-rule in the book. (I DO wear it when I wear red clothing, or my red glasses, I DO wear shocking bright reds in daytime, I DO wear whatever color I like, never mind my skin tone....) I have gotten a lot of great compliments when I wear it, never a bad reaction.

I also own a few beige lipsticks, that I sometimes wear when I play up my eye-makeup, and need to play down my lips. (Very creative and colorfull eye-makeup is my other trade mark.) But usually, I just don't wear lipstick then.

I just love what the red lipstick signals. I use to say that ladies with class, femme fatals, business woman and all other strong women wear red lipstick. Page 3 girls and insecure 14 year olds wear pink lipgloss.:p

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Grats MarieAnne! How exciting! That makes 3 of us ladies right now, how fun!

I am preggers, too, almost 22 weeks now. I have been fortunate so far, but I think it helps a lot that I got my breakouts under control before I got preggers. In January, after reading the first thread below, I tried Pond's Cold Cream, and I love it. I also made sure I moisturized every morning and that too, makes a big difference. I know your breakouts are hormonal, but it may not hurt to try one of the oil based cleansing methods, like Pond's or using straight oils.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12862
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16966
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20244

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Boy, I hope the "expecting" condition isn't catching............;)

Congratulations Ladies. Blessings for you during your pregnancies and the little life growing inside you.:eusa_clap

nyx

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne said:
Now I'm pregnant and my skin is breaking out BAD. Red lippies are a big no no :( I think to pull off a bright colour like that, you need a clear complexion. Boo, I'm really going to miss red lipstick. Maybe I'll get 'the glow' later on in my pregnancy.

Not to put a damper on your glow hopes, MarieAnne, but my skin got much worse when I was pregnant. I guess because my hormones were in overdrive. But, perhaps yours will stabilize soon and your skin will clear. I'd also try some green concealer to combat redness in your trouble spots. One thing that is nice though is that my hair looked fabulous and healthy, so you'll at least have gorgeous hair.

:eek:fftopic: I thought you were going to be entering the military? Is that still happening now with the pregnancy?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I have *FINALLY* found my perfect red lipstick. I couldn't be more happy! Years ago I had about 3 of MAC's red lipsticks, one being Russian Red. They just never looked very good on me.. Maybe now because I'm over 30yo? Maybe that does ring true??? Anyhow, I was at the MAC counter the other day, and figured I'd give it a try again, and wah-lah! It looks great! Perfect for my night time shenanigans! But then I tried on Viva Glam!, and laaaa(angels singing) it was like it was made for my lips!! It was so perfect I could wear it all day or night, it was just Poifect! I wore it out yesterday afternoon to a birthday kiddie tea party...got compliments, but the best was when my husband said, "WOW, that looks REALLY good on you!" hee hee hee (yay!) ahhh...I feel like one of life's quests is over...lol

vintageTink

One Too Many
I hope the preggo thing IS catching! Congratulations to all of our lovely ladies in the family way. We've been trying for #3 for almost two years.

I use MAC Ruby Woo. I haven't picked up any liner, but it certainly lasts longer when you apply with a brush, blot, and dust with powder. I have light brown hair at the moment, but am naturally very pale (NC20, for you MAC ladies), with blue eyes and very dark brown hair.
It took me while to get used to wearing red. When I was in my teens it was no makeup, 20's was a raisin color. Now? Red.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
When I used to work for MAC, I recall a young gal saying that she didn't want to wear a red lipstick because she "didn't want to look like a prostitute." Of course, I was wearing a red lipstick. I won't divulge what I *wanted* to say for fear of offending anyone, but it involves wearing beige lipstick.

Helena Grace

New in Town
Stigma? Certainly. First, I have always heard and known that red lipstick and such bright colours of that shade were only worn by Ladies of the Night. obviously, black and white films didn't show the red, earlier period films had no lipstick, and any modern films were brown or some other such 'natural' shades that just don't look appealing. The other thing was whenever I hinted at wearing anything beyond a very pale pink, was that with my pale skin and blonde hair (dirty-blonde now, but still) I could never wear red - that it would look garish and.... Well, as if I were a Lady of the Night.

It's only been in the last couple of months that I began trying lipsticks. I've not gotten one that looks good yet with everything - but I do love wearing it. However, if it's not balanced, I still do get compared (in less polite terms) to a Lady of the Night.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I don't really care what people say about my lipstick but my "modern" makeup and "vintage" makeup usually only differ in the color of my lips. On Friday I met my husband on base as I needed to get a new ID. When I got married I started making sure I look vintage for my ID photos. So I made sure I had red lips the day I got my new ID made. I stopped in the Starbucks and the barista said I looked like a movie star, the ID lady said my lipstick and fair skin made for a difficult picture. And when at the farmers market I saw a few neighbors, one asked why I was so dressed up, and another said I looked like Marilyn Monroe (I said thank you but really never really liked her). Oh and the butcher who I know very well said I looked more charming than usual. I have never really gotten that many comments before it was odd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk