Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm headed to Seattle in November, trying to decide whether to take/wear my brand new VS Custom or my less expensive, vintage Playboy. I do know I won't bother taking my modern, hemp Strat. [emoji57]

pat----
Take the custom. If something happens to it it is cleanable, reblockable and replaceable. If Something happens to the vintage strat it'll never be the same

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
What do you think of this German made Stetson Stratoliner "Excellent" ?
The eBay seller claimed it must have been worn during WW2 because it had a badge from the Nazi party "NSDAP" attached to the crown; not part of the offer and no photos (not allowed in Germany).
Unfortunately I could not find much about the store "Keuthen in Essen".
Any input on dating the hat is appreciated.

Hat-Stetson-Stratoliner-Excellent-Details-203-WEB.jpg
Hat-Stetson-Stratoliner-Excellent-Outside.jpg
Hat-Stetson-Stratoliner-Excellent-Nutgrey-Details-1.jpg
Hat-Stetson-Stratoliner-Excellent-Nutgrey-Details-2.jpg

What do you think of this German made Stetson Stratoliner "Excellent" ?
The eBay seller claimed it must have been worn during WW2 because it had a badge from the Nazi party "NSDAP" attached to the crown; not part of the offer and no photos (not allowed in Germany).
Unfortunately I could not find much about the store "Keuthen in Essen".
Any input on dating the hat is appreciated.

View attachment 134033 View attachment 134034 View attachment 134035 View attachment 134036

Mayser had the German license for Stetsons i believe beginning in the mid-50s. Which is my guess as to the age of the hat given its other markings.

Looks like a nice one, I don't believe we've seen a vintage excellent Strat before, only Royal, Royal Deluxe, and Premier. Great liner.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Mondo: i think alot of vintage hat people feel like “it’s only like that once”.
Think of it like this...if you had a 57’ Chevy all original, lets go all in and say “a survivor”.
You took it out and crashed it. Sure it can be repaired, good as new right?
But it’s never the same.
Hats...no different. Imho
Bowen

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Could the vintage hat not be cleaned or reblocked (i agree with it not being replaceable)? Vintage hats are pretty damn resilient, no?
In all the years we have had hats in our home, just being careful when wearing them, keeping them from any contact with dirty hands or touching the hats on anything, we never did have a problem with a hat needing to be reblocked or cleaned due to being dirty from use. I guess it is being a bit "anal" yet to keep a hat looking nice, only requires being careful, but then if you have a beater hat, then you can do whatever when wearing it and not have to be so "anal" about keeping the hat clean...hope this is making sense....lol!!!! I never have worn any of my Fedora hats in the rain or during a hard winter snow...I have other hats for any wild weather. Daniel did the same. Bad weather you break out the wool hats and smile a bit faster! Haha!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Take the custom. If something happens to it it is cleanable, reblockable and replaceable. If Something happens to the vintage strat it'll never be the same
I agree when you have a clean Strat...keep it that way. Some customs can be a pain also to keep clean only due to the felt color...ivory and bone...but being careful means you still use a brush and hat sponge on them every time you remove them from wearing and prior to placing them in the box or any where for storing them until they are deployed for use again.

In my experience, cleaning a hat with solvent has no effect on the labels. This hat seems to have no other indications that it's been refurbished. I guess it will remain a mystery.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Not when you do it at home. In a big drum cleaner (solvents with detergents added) and the ensuing agitation, labels can and do come off................... Home is NOT the same as what is professionally done, just saying. For the record, I AM a professional cleaner.......I also have the blocks and equipment from a cleaner that did hats back in the day. Learned a lot from them.....
M

Last edited:

Tukwila

Not when you do it at home. In a big drum cleaner with (solvents with detergents added) and the ensuing agitation, labels can and do come off................... Home is NOT the same as what is professionally done, just saying. For the record, I AM a professional cleaner.......I also have the blocks and equipment from a cleaner that did hats back in the day. Learned a lot from them.....
M
How do you get out a stain from some, er... ignoramus (me, cough, cough), trying OxiCLean to remove a much smaller ketchup stain? Now there is a nickle-sized sploch of white from the OxiClean, as if it was a dye.... naptha won't touch it, white vinegar barely makes a dent, laundry soap does nothing, etc, etc....

Found this poking around the other day.

View attachment 133676

They apparently opened in 1902 - not certain when they closed up shop.
Lots of cities had "the Hub", as one or more shop locations, often located in a hotel, sometimes free standing independent business locations., the "Hub" often referred to a downtown central street interchange....I actually have three hats from three different stores in as many cities with "The Hub" on the debossing......
M

How do you get out a stain from some, er... ignoramus (me, cough, cough), trying OxiCLean to remove a much smaller ketchup stain? Now there is a nickle-sized sploch of white from the OxiClean, as if it was a dye.... naptha won't touch it, white vinegar barely makes a dent, laundry soap does nothing, etc, etc....
USUALLY with a mild use of oxiclean it will not do that.......it works differently than chlorine..but it does happen on non colorfast..............It sounds like it is time for a magic marker touch up.........there is no other way to restore that color loss. My wife is quite the wizard on spots like those, she can match the color and feather it out so that even when you know the spot is there it is hard to see.......
Apply the color to a cloth then slowly rub onto the hat gradually adding the color until you get the shade you need.....
M

Winston Carter

Practically Family
In all the years we have had hats in our home, just being careful when wearing them, keeping them from any contact with dirty hands or touching the hats on anything, we never did have a problem with a hat needing to be reblocked or cleaned due to being dirty from use. I guess it is being a bit "anal" yet to keep a hat looking nice, only requires being careful, but then if you have a beater hat, then you can do whatever when wearing it and not have to be so "anal" about keeping the hat clean...hope this is making sense....lol!!!! I never have worn any of my Fedora hats in the rain or during a hard winter snow...I have other hats for any wild weather. Daniel did the same. Bad weather you break out the wool hats and smile a bit faster! Haha!
I agree. I'm anal about my nice hats too. I'm retired and don't get dirty anymore and I keep all my fur felts in hat boxes because of the dust in Texas. When it is raining I wear wool felt or straw beaters. I might need to brush them occasionally but never re-block unless I want to change the crown style.

Tukwila

USUALLY with a mild use of oxiclean it will not do that.......it works differently than chlorine..but it does happen on non colorfast..............It sounds like it is time for a magic marker touch up.........there is no other way to restore that color loss. My wife is quite the wizard on spots like those, she can match the color and feather it out so that even when you know the spot is there it is hard to see.......
Apply the color to a cloth then slowly rub onto the hat gradually adding the color until you get the shade you need.....
M
Is there a specific brand of marker you can recommend? I didn't think this was "bleached" out but rather that the stuff just clung real hard to the microfibers of the tightly interlocked fibers of the fur felt. But I suppose what you are saying has real merit... I had just not considered that possibility.

IF indeed it is residue from the oxi-bleach than a good stiff brushing should remove it. Perhaps adding some water to break it down......then steam...........IF it is residue. If not, then the markers...
As far as brand, it is more important they are colorfast/permanent type markers. I believe Crayola provides the best color sets in their permanent lines.....it is what my wife is currently using, she even blends multiple colors to get the right results. Test them on some rags to get that right blend...
M

Winston Carter

Practically Family
IF indeed it is residue from the oxi-bleach than a good stiff brushing should remove it. Perhaps adding some water to break it down......then steam...........IF it is residue. If not, then the markers...
As far as brand, it is more important they are colorfast/permanent type markers. I believe Crayola provides the best color sets in their permanent lines.....it is what my wife is currently using, she even blends multiple colors to get the right results. Test them on some rags to get that right blend...
M
I have used brown liquid shoe polish on a chocolate brown hat with stains. It blended perfect and is permanent (I think??).:):)

Not when you do it at home. In a big drum cleaner (solvents with detergents added) and the ensuing agitation, labels can and do come off................... Home is NOT the same as what is professionally done, just saying. For the record, I AM a professional cleaner.......I also have the blocks and equipment from a cleaner that did hats back in the day. Learned a lot from them.....
M

I would figure a more vigorous cleaning process could have this effect. However, with hat in hand, I still doubt it has been refurbished. My experience with industrial solvents, including Stoddard solvent, chlorinated solvents, and all manner of fun stuff, comes from the many years I spent in the hazardous waste industry. I learned much about the dry cleaning industry by inspecting and documenting activities at dry cleaners and consulting on waste and compliance issues. I learned a lot about the process and industry, but not being a hat person at the time, and it being the 80s and 90s where I'm sure very few hats were being cleaned, that aspect was never explored.

Lots of cities had "the Hub", as one or more shop locations, often located in a hotel, sometimes free standing independent business locations., the "Hub" often referred to a downtown central street interchange....I actually have three hats from three different stores in as many cities with "The Hub" on the debossing......
M

I've seen many, and this isn't my first hat from a Hub. I just figured it was a chain of some sort.

I would figure a more vigorous cleaning process could have this effect. However, with hat in hand, I still doubt it has been refurbished. My experience with industrial solvents, including Stoddard solvent, chlorinated solvents, and all manner of fun stuff, comes from the many years I spent in the hazardous waste industry. I learned much about the dry cleaning industry by inspecting and documenting activities at dry cleaners and consulting on waste and compliance issues. I learned a lot about the process and industry, but not being a hat person at the time, and it being the 80s and 90s where I'm sure very few hats were being cleaned, that aspect was never explored.

I've seen many, and this isn't my first hat from a Hub. I just figured it was a chain of some sort.
Done right... other than a different liner, replaced sweat and or missing tags, new ribbon (sometimes an amputated brim) there is no way to tell a hat has been cleaned or re-furbed...IF done right.
What ever the history of your hat ( and 60 - 70 years is a lot of history) it is simply and AWESOME hat!!!!!! And I sure wish I could locate a Strat in my size........(size 7 1/2 for those who may have a spare...)
M;)

Tukwila

M
No, brushing with water or even white vinegar or naptha didn't do much of anything. I used a hat sponge and that works to a point but this is the thinnest felt I've ever handled so there's not a lot of room to "sand" away the problem. I'll look for some beige to tan permanent markers to blend on fabric to slowly try to balance out the color.

I just did a complete naptha bath and the hat is looking really nice, but the faded, sanded spot is still noticeable. I think anything that wasn't rinsed out is as gone as it is going to be. I am on day 5 of this process so I've been working at it for awhile. I should have just dabbed at the stain with white vinegar and then dunked this puppy. I would have been ahead of the game if I had...

Thank you for your expertise and information!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points