Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Three Stooges - the Really Important Question!

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Ah yes Channel 52 ! I spent many trips to the roof to get the reception just right. I remember they were uncensored too. Along with the "Little Rascals", "Kimba the white Lion" and "Speed Racer" Ch 52 jammed. The older I got the more I appreciated Shemp. In real life he was a Hell raiser as a kid. Always in trouble and a real Scaredy Cat according to Moe . When I think of Shemp I think of that scene where he sees a Squirrel Monkey. " Oh Oh a Chimney Panzee " !

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Honestly, they were all idiotic. *yucky*

You should at least qualify that with what you think is funny, so we know what we're dealing with here...

...and why resist the flow of a thread that clearly shows affection for the Three Stooges? I wouldn't crash, say, the double-breasted underwear thread and dump on that topic.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Idiotic is not necessarily an insult!!! Not by any means. I know lots of comics who would be pleased as punch to hear that.
Personally, I liked Laurel and Hardy much better, and Abbott and Costello, to name a few. But the Stooges definitely had their qualities.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Idiotic is not necessarily an insult!!! Not by any means. I know lots of comics who would be pleased as punch to hear that.
Personally, I liked Laurel and Hardy much better, and Abbott and Costello, to name a few. But the Stooges definitely had their qualities.

The emoticon is what conveyed the meaning of the post, not the word used. Anyway, I've said my bit regarding this and will continue in the spirit of the thread.

Certain scenes that made me scream as a kid:

While Shemp is tied to the gurney, the menacing gorilla gets loose and preceeds to cut Shemp's vest buttons off with sharp surgical instruments.

The boys are hired as assistants for an African film project. In the morning a live real lion comes and is licking their feet as they sleep.

A hypnotist has hypnotized the boys and has them dancing on a horizontal flag pole on the side of a skyscraper many stories up.

As a little kid I would simply be beside myself with anxiety over those and similar situations of grave danger portrayed in these shorts. It may be a test for the ability to empathize with others when watching the Three Stooges.

As an aside there are many scenes that had great effect on me as a kid and still connect with the little kid in me. A similar thing happens in the "semi-original" Godzilla movie with Raymond Burr. The scene where they see Godzilla the first time, as Godzilla unexpectedly looks over the hill at them, this still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I love THREE LITTLE PIRATES. The "Maha! Aha?" routine with Curly cracks me up every time. Sadly though, you can tell that Curly is sick in this short. I think it was his last great comic performance.

John in Covina said:
Rarely seen today at the movie theater is the Short Subject or Short.
The intrusion of commercial advertisements (which have no place in a movie theater) have replaced the "short". Movie patrons get the "short" end of the stick this way.
Curley, hands down. Just because I say so. Shemp distant second. Curley Joe and Joe were too ghey.

A couple of things I like to see is when they are out on the street and you get to see ordinary people passing by. Some of the filming seems to be on the production lot but some seems to be in a real public place somewheres. Star Drugs appeared in a couple I saw last night and I am wondering if that was a real place.

If you watch the Little Rascals and they are in a real neighborhood they said they filmed a lot in the Culver City area. That is a pretty hilly area in some places and there are several hilly episodes like in Free Wheelin'!

MA-HA?

BeBopBaby said:
The "Maha! Aha?" routine with Curly cracks me up every time.

A favorite of mine too.

Some time ago I was living in a rental house with several college students. Two brothers were from Burma and their oldest brother Ma-Ha (Stess on the second sylable) was coming to visit. Everytime someone said Ma-Ha! Tony and I would start receiting the MAHA scene.

MA-HA!

Ma-Ha?
A-Ha. Poodgy, foodgy, cannoodgy.

I am laughing right now thinking about it.lol

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Right you are. I think Monty Python is funny.

Why? Because Python skits and films are silly, as opposed to witless. ;)

Well, that's the kind of blinkered, philistine pig ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage, sitting there on your loathsome, spotty behinds squeezing blackheads and not caring a tinker's cuss for the struggling artist! You excrement! You whining, hypocritical toadies with your colour TV sets and your Tony Jacklyn golf clubs and your bleeding Masonic secret handshake! You wouldn't let me join would you, you black-balling bas*ards! Well I wouldn't become a Freemason now if you got down on your lousy stinking knees and begged me!!!
- From Monty Python's "The Architect Sketch"

I just thought it appropriate. ;)
I now return you to our regularly scheduled thread, Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy