Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The TOPPER Car, 1937

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Ever seen the Hal Roach screwball comedy, TOPPER (1937)? The one with Cary Grant, Constance Bennett, and Roland Young?

The movie's real star is the car: a 1936 Buick/Chrysler chassis with some wild "studio" modifications. This May, it will be put up for auction. (No, not on eBay!) The "Topper" car's story is an entertaining read. Go to the link below and click on the auction LOT 241.

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarList.cfm?SaleCode=BC06#

The "Topper" car originally looked much more like a Cord. It's been extensively modified since 1937. Truth be told, I prefer the way it looked in the film.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Wow, interesting!

I could have sworn the car was a Cord or it's sibling, an Auburn. I liked it better in it's original design, with the side pipes and the art deco 30's front end, as opposed to the updated 50's front end version.

Interesting to note that they have a Messcherschmitt for sale there also.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cary Grant's car in Topper is a 1936 Auburn Boat Tail Speedster. It's the same as the car "Shortround" shows up in at the beginning of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." ;)

friskojack

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
Hemingway Jones, I think you'd enjoy going to to the link below and clicking on the auction LOT 241.

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarList.cfm?SaleCode=BC06#

There's a detailed history of the "Topper" car there. It claims that the car was definitely not an Auburn, and it gives the reason why. Take a look -- it's a fascinating read.

Absolutely. The car, a '37 Buick, was the epitome of Thorne Smiths' upper class flummery, back in '37. It's a shame that it was butchered, but hey, The Brown Derby restsaurant was bulldozed, back in the '70sw. It took us a long time to get hep to our own culture. What;s worse is that, at one point, after the modifications, one of the original coach builders, who supposedly had most of the original panels, contacted the owner of the car and was ignored. What a shame. We can only hope that thid will be corrected at some future date.

Frisko Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy