Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Umbrella

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
You must send the umbrella back to the original maker who will recurl it back for you.

IMO, whangee handle umbrellas should not be used when there is heavy rain as any water on the whangee for a prolonged time can uncurl it. Personally, I would have a hickory or some solid wood for when it looks like it will rain or it is raining heavily and have a whangee when it looks like it won't rain or is sunny.

I currently patronise James Smith & Sons. Not only the price is reasonable (between Brigg and Fox) but the most crucial bit is that they cut it to your required length. Plus, customer service at their shop is to be a lesson to all. I a have hickory fit-up umbrella from them that I use for spring and autumn.

I would like to get a Brigg in the future. Probably one with a silk canopy for the summer months or a soild stick one for winter.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
What wood for a solid stick umbrella?

I am thinking about taking the plunge and getting a Fox solid stick umbrella. Does anyone have an advice/recommendations for which type of wood the stick should be made out of?

Looking at examples I am draw to Chestnut, Hickory and Oak.

Thanks!

Lear

One of the Regulars
Two quick snaps of my new SAB umbrella. I had wanted the PoW, but discovered that it only came as a two piece stick. As luck would have it, this model - solid oak stick with PoW sterling cap - was just sitting there, waiting to be bought. The colour of the oak in the pic, is quite true to life.

The bonus: it was pouring with rain when I bought it.

Edit: It was a cancelled MTO model. The customer was apparently a giant of a man, who found it to be still too short.

dscf0219.jpg

dscf0220.jpg

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have a half dozen large "golf umbrellas" that I have purloined from the funeral home over the years, all are black and white alternating panels, and all are emblazoned with the names of the funeral homes where I worked when they followed me to the car on a rainy day. They're big and they keep me dry, that's all I know for sure.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I picked up an old Fox umbrella in Oxfam for 3 pounds, in nearly perfect condition save for a bit of rubbing on the handle finish and the silver collar. Sadly, the hallmarks are too rubbed to make out. I'll get some pictures of it tomorrow.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Here's a picture of my Fox and a closeup of the handle.

DSC01732.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

And here it is with my other umbrella, which is only just long enough. It has a plastic handle and metal shaft. I use the Fox mostly now, but it's good to have a backup.

DSC01734.jpg

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I have two Briggs umbrellas that have lasted me for years--a classic black with Malacca handle and a tartan racing umbrella with a pencil in the handle for marking race cards. They cost a fortune and are worth every cent--as long as you don't lose them. I have sent one of them back for repairs and it looks like new. I want a bamboo-handled one like Steed, but enough is enough! Especially since I live in Los Angeles. The great thing about Briggs umbrellas is that they have a brass collar around the base of the handle that can be engraved--no one can ever claim that your umbrella is his (unless he has the same monogram).

Years ago in London I walked out of a building looking for a cab. One door down at the exact same time another fellow stepped out, also looking for a cab. There was only one cab in sight and it stopped for me. Though grateful, I was curious and asked the driver--why me and not the other guy? "You are carrying an umbrella; he was not. You can always tell by that." Tell what? I wanted to ask, but left well enough alone. The irony is that it just then started to rain and the poor chap standing on the pavement didn't have a cab..... or an umbrella.

Lou

One of the Regulars
I've wanted a good umbrella for long time, and this thread pointed me in the right direction. I'll make due with my Totes until I go to London and can buy a stick umbrella in person at James Smith & Sons.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
driven_247 said:
Hi all,

I have a very old cane umbrella that I received as a promotion when I purchased a bottle of Polo cologne. It has just about reached the end of its lifespan... at least asthetically.

I've been looking for a replacement on ebay and the net, but I'm not quite finding what I'm looking for. I would like a wooden "crook" handle with something other than plain black nylon fabric. My fabric is a green and blue tartan plaid and is something other than nylon.

I found some nice ones online (although they are black) but the are over $300... too much for my budget. I think "Briggs" was the name.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shawn

I know that this is a rather old posting, but if you have still kept that old umbrella, may I suggest that you contact Briggs & Sons in London and ask them about their repair service? They are one of the oldest Umbrella producing firms and certainly one of the best. Brigg and Sons also have a wonderful repair service if I am not mistaken and they are from what I understand more than happy to repair their own products for a reasonable fee. Try writing them or calling and asking about an email. If you ship your beloved umbrella to them, they should be willing to repair it for you.

Hope I've been helpful!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
driven_247 said:
I have a very old cane umbrella that I received as a promotion when I purchased a bottle of Polo cologne.

Evan Everhart said:
if you have still kept that old umbrella, may I suggest that you contact Briggs & Sons in London and ask them about their repair service?
Interesting..................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo