Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The USN 37J2 (Deck) Jacket - A Mysterious and Rare Bird

Skyhawk

Vendor
I have heard it mentioned and always was curious about this jacket. Did it exist? Was it just another amended 37J1?

Recently I obtained the USN Specifications for all the 37J1 series jackets! The leather 37J1 all the way through to the 37J2.
Here it is. Many have seen it. It has been around but never identified by it's real name because no one had the Specs.
37J2-Snip.jpg

37J1-Fig-Redact.jpg

This has been called "The Navy's First Deck Jacket" but I think the design had more in mind than the deck. It is an interesting jacket and I think it was possibly designed as a general work coat. Deck, Submarine, Aviation, etc.
There is solid evidence that some squadrons were using these as flight jackets:
37J2-Jackets.jpg

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like a Deck zip but does it have the same lining? I think Khaki deck zip is worn by some USMC aviators.

Skyhawk

Vendor
I would say 99% chance it's the same jacket. It's just too close to be something different. I believe the lining is the same according to the specs.

The question is why call it a 37J2 when the aviators jacket was a 37J1. It seems that if it was planned to be used as a deck jacket, it would have a different model number like N-1. This jacket predates the N-1 though. Just an example. The originals that I have seen just have a contract number. No model number. This is why it has not been identified as a 37J2 up until right now. Just know as an "Early Deck Zip Jacket"
My thought is that this was a possible new aviators jacket that got repurposed last minute to a deck jacket. The 37J1b never was replaced by it, and it went on to by made by the department of the Navy for Naval personnel rather than by the Bureau Of Aeronautics for USN flight crew.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would say 99% chance it's the same jacket. It's just too close to be something different. I believe the lining is the same according to the specs.

The question is why call it a 37J2 when the aviators jacket was a 37J1. It seems that if it was planned to be used as a deck jacket, it would have a different model number like N-1. This jacket predates the N-1 though. Just an example. The originals that I have seen just have a contract number. No model number. This is why it has not been identified as a 37J2 up until right now. Just know as an "Early Deck Zip Jacket"
My thought is that this was a possible new aviators jacket that got repurposed last minute to a deck jacket. The 37J1b never was replaced by it, and it went on to by made by the department of the Navy for Naval personnel rather than by the Bureau Of Aeronautics for USN flight crew.
AFAIK N-1's specification is 37J3.

Skyhawk

Vendor
AFAIK N-1's specification is 37J3.
Copy that. That is true. The first one, the 37J2 is obviously based on the 37J1 pattern. That must be the reason for the model number being similar. The original intent of making the jacket is still a question. The deck jackets deviated greatly from the style in the next few versions of the N-1 jacket. They lost the waist knit, added a storm flap, changed the collar and materials, etc.

thor

One Too Many
History Preservation Associates (US retailer for Eastman) was selling a special edition Buzz Rickson Navy aviation ground crew jacket (basically the zip front blue deck jacket but with an alpaca wool lining and a closer, tighter fit) that was originally made in 1941 by N.A.F.
Perhaps this was the 37J2?
If Charles DiSipio of HPA reads this he might have more information.

Peacoat

Bartender
How come this thief "Skyhawk" is still allowed to post here? He takes the money, does not deliver the jackets, and refuses to answer his mails. And next thing you know he is advertising his new interesting 37J2 products, which he in all probability has no intention to deliver.
If you have a complaint about a board member, please use the Report button so the staff here can take a look at it.

It isn't good form to be accusing a member of fraud in a message on the board.

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
Nice 1st post mike(new in town),Doh, care to share your experience, Jay seems to be trying to make amends, if you have been stung I can understand you won't be happy but cmon,let's see what pans out now he is back posting.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Amends? The only way I would now order a jacket from Headwinds Mfg (a very fitting name) would be no money down and I pay when I receive the jacket. Any other terms would be too much risk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ