Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Village

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
**spoiler**
The reason the village was created was because the elders had horrible things happen in their real lives (they met in a grief crisis center of sorts) so they wanted to create a simpler life here with their new families.

LD

Ah yes--because nothing bad ever happened in oldey timey times, right? I thought that was the biggest problem with the movie. Perhaps they would have been better with a trip to Old Sturbridge Village and some therapy.

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
Negative

I don't usually vehemently despise films, but this film actually made me angry when I saw it. I was really disappointed. I really liked Sixth Sense, Unbreakable was pretty good, and I loved Signs. I wasn't disappointed because of the fact that it wasn't scary; that didn't bother me. What bothers me is that the film is so very contrived. I guessed the twist sometime when she was in woods at the end, and that's what made me angry. I new there had to be a twist coming, so it was only logical. The characters were utterly one-dimensional, and it all just felt like a set up for the payoff and the payoff wasn't any good. Adrien Brody's performance was exceptionally irratating. And after seeing Lady in the Water, I realized M. Night's weakness. He writes too much about how things are destined to happen and everything has meaning, which some people think is pompous. I think The Village is nonsensical, cold, and one-dimensional. I was really let down by it. I hope he makes a comeback, and possibly stops casting himself in his films.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I thought that once I saw the headstone in the first shot. My brain was all "What time period IS it?"

Signs is his best film. Unbreakable would be great too if it wernt for that stupid disclaimer at the begining of the film :eusa_doh:

LD

I really like Unbreakable. I enjoy different books & shows that have addressed th concept of 'realistic' fantastical depictions. Even Interview w/ a Vampire made jokes about 'Hollywood BS'

SIGNS was ....ok. I enjoyed the spirituality, even tho it got heavyhanded. But, i've got friends who live in rural areas & they all have at least a shotgun.

LadyintheWater...some good moments but wow it really didnt pay off.
A bit of a SHATNER-moment to cast yourself as a writer who would change th world...

I liked Village , even tho I immediately got an impression that it was probably some sort of charade & a modern irony instead of a true period location.
I suppose its because MKS's ideas seem like TwiliteZone leftovers to me.
And this was no diff than the ending of Planet of the Apes.

I enjoy that it was set in Pennsylvania... a broad area that contain's much history for reenactors as well as areas of rural interest such as the Amish culture.
A perfect fit for this movie's motivations.
And such a great cast.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I've liked all of his movies to varying degrees, The Sixth Sense definitely was the best. I think M. Night kind of has a Stephen King thing going...they can create a great story and plot but when it comes to wrapping things up they fall flat.

I liked the Village (M. Night), until the truth came out...I liked the Stand (Stephen King), until they get to Colorado.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner