Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Wild Party"

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"The Wild Party", 1975, starring James Coco and Raquel Welch is a movie about silent film star Jolly Grimm who still thinks he has a career in the 1920's even after the creation of Talkies. Raquel Welch plays Queenie, the lover of Grimm, and wow does she play the part. She looks incredible as a lady of the 20's.
The movie doesn't have the greatest acting, but it sure is fun to watch. It is fast paced and full of scandal, boot-legged alcohol, and even more drugs. Grimm invests all of his money into a new film, and the night before it's opening he throws an enormous party at his mansion. It is a flim about mystery, intrigue, love affairs, illegal drugs, and happy guys playing the piano who can't sing or act. Yup, the acting is pretty bad. But wow the actors look incredible. I don't know how accurate the men's clothing is, for I don't know much about men's vintage attire. It looks right to me. The ladies in this film look incredible. From the 20's dresses, the jewlery, right down to the flowers some of the ladies wear in their hair, are just incredible. Oh, and the hair, what can I say about that but it's just simply divine. I think I will have to find a picture of Queenie somewhere on line to bring to a salon with me. It is absolutely perfect, and Welch carries herself so well. I can not tell you enough, especially ladies, how this movie is such a feast for the eyes. It is 1920's, and I think it is perfect.
So, it's a fun, fast paced film. Not the best acting, but definitely a joy to watch if not for anything but the costumes. Has anyone else seen it? If so, what'd you think?
:cheers1: Cheers is definitely appropriate when talking about this booze infested film:D

Mojito

One Too Many
Sounds fantastic, Daisy - I'll hunt around for it! As for the acting...well, it wouldn't be the first time I've watched a movie for the frocks and props rather than the script or acting.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I remember when this film came out. All the reviews at the time said it was a slightly disguised treatment of the true story of comedian Fatty Arbuckle: a girl named Virginia Rappe died at a wild party he threw in San Francisco in 1920, and even though he was acquitted of being the cause by three juries, it destroyed his career. The public would no longer accept him as a jolly funnyman... he did some directing (under the name Will B. Goode) and Buster Keaton - who had begun in films alongside Arbuckle - stood by him as nearly his only friend. It's quite a sad story...

I never saw the film, though. It's been on my to-see list all these years!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've seen it; I blindly bought the DVD in Borders one day. You're right -- it's good a flick, but I didn't care much for that O-T-T scene towards the end!

Merlin

Familiar Face
The Wild Party is actually a poem by Joseph Moncure March and was considered so scandalous upon its release in the 1920's that it was banned in a lot of places. For a different take on it, check out the graphic novel with illustrations by Art Spiegelman (of "Maus" fame). It's a great read.

And it's been turned into no fewer than two full-length musicals, one of which featured Mandy Patinkin. As if it weren't obvious that Broadway is out of new ideas. . .

Quelquefois

New in Town
Yeah, that incredibly obscure poem spurred the imagination of two playwrights who coincidentally released their broadway and off-broadway creations at the same exact time, both called The Wild Party. Ironically, even though the Broadway version was more popular, musicians and singers alike prefer the repetoire in the off-broadway version.

But, yeah..wild stuff and overwhelmingly creative, that poem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot