Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thedi fans - please help!!!

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
Well Hell, I guess you guys were right and I should have just deleted my account after getting my Aero Seven to avoid the compulsion for more jackets.

I am now looking at a Thedi because of all the stunning photos I have seen. I am considering something to compliment my dark seal vicenza Seven. However, I want something a bit more relaxed in shoulder and armhole fit than the Board Racer pattern. As much as I love my Seven, I get restrictions in the armholes with anything more than a t-shirt. I have heard many different opinions on the Thedis being much more comfortable yet various comments of them being a slim Euro cut.

I will be working with Carrie, of course. I am asking these questions here because I know she and Wade prefer a slimmer cut. While my Seven looks fantastic, the fit does force me to think about what I am wearing and I am looking for a “wear with anything“ (light sweater, t-shirt, flannel) jacket now.

The choice comes down to a button up Niko…
3AE0AF5C-F22F-4CA8-820B-307803DDE8CA.jpeg

Or zip or button Hektor….

C3D3EBAB-5F66-4E48-95A4-AC7F1E43B5CD.jpeg

if I have to go full custom, I would probably consider an Evander as well since I am not a huge fan of shoulder gussets.

4B56F741-EE86-46BE-8929-9C43D070B252.jpeg

My questions for you Thedi experts.

1. Would there be any difference in armhole comfort between these three patterns?

2. How versatile are the Cuoio and Cognac colors to wear? Can they be worn with any color footwear?

3. What are people’s general thoughts on button up models? Versatile or a pain in the butt?

I like the look and ability to leave a couple lower buttons undone and sit down. Hoosier Daddy has been very helpful on this point and has me seriously considering a double zip if I go cross body.

Thanks Everyone!

Jason

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I can't give an opinion on the arm hole question.

The colors are great. Beautiful, and will get compliments. I guess the same rules for color coordination of a jacket with shoes apply as always, and it might not be easy to match Thedi's leather colors in your footwear, but as long as you're in the ballpark, it shouldn't be too bad.

Buttons are fine, but go easy on them during break-in. The button holes will need to be worked a bit to loosen them up, and if you don't take the time to do that you can risk popping off or breaking a button. Take a dowel or a pen or something of similar shape, and push it through the hole, and ream it out a bit until the leather softens and loosens up, so that it will more easily accommodate passage of the button. Only then try to button it. And it should be fine, as long as you're careful. It's slower than zippers, but not a big deal.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
1. Would there be any difference in armhole comfort between these three patterns?
No
2. How versatile are the Cuoio and Cognac colors to wear? Can they be worn with any color footwear?
I wear them with whatever color shoes as long as they're not black.

2FCA520F-35A1-406F-9E2C-58EA1E71A5F9.jpeg
A571EFAD-9B2A-4826-ACC4-19091766B050.jpeg
2CFBE8BB-3FDD-41E2-9D1D-C3CE72FC40D3.jpeg

3. What are people’s general thoughts on button up models? Versatile or a pain in the butt?
I currently own three button up Thedi's. Like Guppy already mentioned they do need a bit of breaking in but once broken in they button up without trouble / hassle.

Roy Hobbs

One of the Regulars
I agree with Marc and Guppy. As to the arm holes, of the 3 you've listed there should not be a difference in the arm holes. I have 3 Thedi's with 2 more on order. Carrie had to do a remake on one as I ordered a pattern that for some reason the arm holes were a full inch smaller than my other Thedi's. It may have been a pattern issue or mistake. Either way, she was more than happy to get it remade and I'm not stressed as sometimes thing happen. I would definitely do the fit jacket with Carrie as that is the best way to determine size and fit. In my case, it was horrible...I ended up liking it so much I kept the fit jacket as well!

Good luck!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I believe the two answers above are spot on, so I shall not comment further orher than that the footwear-color question is pretty subjective. Personally, I am totally with Marc here (anything but black).

My personal favourite is cuoio as it’s something like Thedis signature colour. For the same reason I‘d go with the button up single-breast but would seriously consider a shawl collar.

Reason I chime in at all is a note of caution: Thedi is notorious for high armholes and generally slim fitting patterns. They are comfortable all right, but combined with Carrie‘s erring on the side of trimness, 1+1 just may not be 2.
Just make sure to specify exactly what layering expectations you have, and you should be alright.
I got measured up by Thedi himself, and I love my jacket, but it could be a hair larger to accommodate for a light layer…

I've only owned one Thedi, padded CR and the fit was actually remarkably comfortable for a trim fit. Mine was HH and I'd decribe it as true medium weight. My only concern with the models you've selected is that the first one has a bit of a proportion problem with regard to the patch pockets, I think they look entirely too small:
1660582504581.png

I would scrap them and opt for handwarmers.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
My only concern with the models you've selected is that the first one has a bit of a proportion problem with regard to the patch pockets, I think they look entirely too small:
I guess that was my idea. I wanted something similar to this vintage cossack but without the shawl collar. I think the small pockets look better on the vintage one because the bottom hem panels are higher than the ones on the Thedi. The effect is exaggerated by Thurston Bros ordering stock jackets with longer body lengths.

8FB8256D-04CE-49D9-8990-66E99C5B2C56.jpeg

Pocket size comparison :

5FA87E6C-11C7-4739-96ED-55B527647AFD.jpeg

I guess that was my idea. I wanted something similar to this vintage cossack but without the shawl collar. I think the small pockets look better on the vintage one because the bottom hem panels are higher than the ones on the Thedi. The effect is exaggerated by Thurston Bros ordering stock jackets with longer body lengths.

View attachment 444811
Yeah I think you're right. The shorter, boxier one pictured above looks better with the smaller pockets. I agree that TB does tend to stretch everything a bit too long, particularly unnecessary when the jacket has a front drop.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
No

I wear them with whatever color shoes as long as they're not black.

View attachment 444802 View attachment 444803 View attachment 444801

I currently own three button up Thedi's. Like Guppy already mentioned they do need a bit of breaking in but once broken in they button up without trouble / hassle.
I really like the contrast with the grey suede.
Reason I chime in at all is a note of caution: Thedi is notorious for high armholes and generally slim fitting patterns. They are comfortable all right, but combined with Carrie‘s erring on the side of trimness, 1+1 just may not be 2.
Just make sure to specify exactly what layering expectations you have, and you should be alright.
I got measured up by Thedi himself, and I love my jacket, but it could be a hair larger to accommodate for a light layer…

Thanks Tom. I will talk to her about this to make sure this is the right jacket for me.
I've only owned one Thedi, padded CR and the fit was actually remarkably comfortable for a trim fit. Mine was HH and I'd decribe it as true medium weight. My only concern with the models you've selected is that the first one has a bit of a proportion problem with regard to the patch pockets, I think they look entirely too small:
View attachment 444808
I would scrap them and opt for handwarmers.

If I have to go custom, and Theo will do it, this is exactly my plan.

If not, then I am going for the medium pocket like Marc's green Thedi above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk