Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

There Ought to Be a Moonlight Saving Time!

Matthew S.

New in Town
Here I have a topical song to share in light of today. As the days are getting longer in the Northern Hemisphere, we have now returned to Daylight Saving Time here in the United States. I myself welcome it. But with long days and short nights ahead, maybe "There Ought to Be a Moonlight Saving Time" for the benefit of young lovers! Such is the gist behind this popular 1930 song written by Irving Kahal and Harry Richman. By 1931, many different artists had recorded their version. Here are a few:

Firstly we have a nice and snappy rendition by the High Hatters:

Another good one is from Ambrose Orchestra. Theirs was the first I heard of the song in a compilation by Prozoot on Youtube, and I was taken with it:

Next we have this lovely number by Annette Hanshaw:

And Ruth Etting:

Last, but not least, here is a great version by the Gus Arnheim Orchestra with Loyce Whiteman on vocals. I found this one after watching the 1977 "Tomorrow Show" interview of Miss Whiteman, and it hooked me in:

Of course, these are many other versions of the song. See a listing of of them at Second Hand Songs: https://secondhandsongs.com/work/115721

So, would you rather have Daylight Saving Time or "Moonlight Saving Time"? I say have them both!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner