Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about buying an Aero or other Horsehide MC Jacket - advice needed

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Hey all, thanks for all the fantastic advice.

I'm almost there, but I just wanted to ask - has anybody here used their Non-action back (no bi-swing) jacket for MC riding? How well did it work?

I am stuck between form and function here - I really like the look of the Non-action back models, but the action back is better for riding.....

STW

Familiar Face
Tommer45 said:
As far as the LW Suburban is concerned, I have one and wish I never bought it. The cut of the jacket and lack of a bi-swing restrict movement so much that sometimes I want to toss the jacket out the window of my car when trying to reach for the radio dial (thank goodness for steering wheel mounted controls!). And I can't even try to reach forward for the bars of my cycle.. it could just be the shape of my body but I'd stay away from the Suburban.
Sounds pretty bad Tommer; really unfortunate. But to add one more data point, my LW Suburban fits great for reaching both for the Jeep radio and on the bike (sit up position on a Royal Enfield). The other day I wore it most of the day for walking around, a museum stroll and restaurant, and it was comfortable the whole time. I was lucky in my LW fit, but Aero has the advantage in doing custom fitting well and reliably. Getting a custom fit is possible but more complicated and expensive for LWs.

STW

Familiar Face
HoosierDaddy said:
...Actually I,also,don't really think that collar snaps are necessarily needed on heavy leather. It won't slap the face like a more flimsy denim or twill IMO..it's just too heavy...
Have to agree with HD here. My heavy FQHH MC jacket has collar snaps on a regular shirt collar syle (like a Dubow A-2 collar). But I notice that, even not snapped down, the collar doesn't move around much on the bike at speed.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I use my Highwayman on my Kawasaki W650 and I've never had a problem with the plain back and non press studded collar.

Although perhaps with a cruiser bike with the arms REALLY outstretched or on a sports bike, you might find it handy. Personally I found that the bi-swing backs add more to the weight of the jacket than the movement justifies. But that's just a personal opinion. Also I like my clothing VERY non fussy/plain.

Dave

jimmer_5

Practically Family
All right!!

I finally placed my order with Aero USA yesterday!

One more quick question, and I think I will be all set with my order!

My questions is this - do any of you feel like the band of leather at the bottom of the Highwayman causes the jacket to slightly "puff out" in the middle? It's subtle, but in smoe of the pics I have seen, it appears that the middle of the highwayman bulges out just slightly, then tapers back in as it meets that 2" leather bande at the bottom.

I ask because I am considering having my jacket made with the bottom hem being more like a Half belt - a single smooth seam. I know the jacket will look good either way, but I wonder if it will look a bit more fitted with the bottom edge done up this way.

Thanks for all of your patience with this newbie! I look forward to posting some pics early next year!

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
STW said:
Sounds pretty bad Tommer; really unfortunate. But to add one more data point, my LW Suburban fits great for reaching both for the Jeep radio and on the bike (sit up position on a Royal Enfield). The other day I wore it most of the day for walking around, a museum stroll and restaurant, and it was comfortable the whole time. I was lucky in my LW fit, but Aero has the advantage in doing custom fitting well and reliably. Getting a custom fit is possible but more complicated and expensive for LWs.

In the Suburban's defense, if I'm just walking around the jacket fits fine and looks even better... but any other movement and it's terrible. When it was new I emailed Stu about it and he assured me the jacket would loosen up considerably and feel much better.. and next thing I new the jacket was getting worn in, didn't look new anymore, still fit like crap only now it couldn't be returned! So I'm stuck with it. Bummer.

Tommer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot