Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Cafe' Racer is kinda Great!!!

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Actually Mojo my "conclusion" was based on the pictures. As I said, very nice jacket but I usually don't see pronounced pebbling on high end cow/steer leathers. Many Vanson leathers have incredibly pebbled finishes; I'm looking at over 50 Vanson jackets now and 20 have highly pebbled hides. I find cheaper cow leathers that have been buffed and then corrected (stamped) usually have pronounced pebbling. Not true...this is what you read on Wikipedia...LOL... Aero and Vanson cow is smooth and stiff. You need to see more Vanson and Aero jackets! I'm currently looking at eight highly pebbled panels of Horween FQHH on four Aero jackets...and that's just half a rack... I find all the corrected cow hides to be pebbled and heavily 'milled' for softness. Wikipedia, again.
Had you not characterized the jacket's leather as being on par with an Aero and Vanson leather I wouldn't have mentioned it. Come look at the jackets, then take a stab at them.
That said I'm sure they're great jackets non the less.

Please see my responses in red above.

Last edited:

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I don't know what WikiP has to say about leather....sounds like you do though. I'm basing my conclusions on my handling of multiple samples from Langlitz, Aero and Vanson as well as a few months of reading around the subject of tannage. None of their samples look like the leather on your $300 jackets. However if you can create a jacket as good as Aero, Langlitz and Vanson for $300+ and still make a profit than good on you old son.

PS. You'll also notice that the comp. weight Aero, Langlitz and Vanson jackets will stand up on their own, none are soft milled (except for comp. weight naked leathers). All my cheap Pakistan jackets all showed pronounced pebbling and were soft milled.

Ps. By the way Vanson always sold (and may still sell) a number of lesser quality jackets. Their whole line is not made up of their top of the line $500-$800 comp. weight hides jackets....that may explain what you're seeing on your rack.
Also, if you can show me a new comp. weight Aero or Vanson that can't stand up on its own I'll eat my hat.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I don't know what WikiP has to say about leather....sounds like you do though. I'm basing my conclusions on my handling of multiple samples from Langlitz, Aero and Vanson as well as a few months of reading around the subject of tannage. None of their samples look like the leather on your $300 jackets. However if you can create a jacket as good as Aero, Langlitz and Vanson for $300+ and still make a profit than good on you old son.

PS. You'll also notice that the comp. weight Aero, Langlitz and Vanson jackets will stand up on their own, none are soft milled (except for comp. weight naked leathers). All my cheap Pakistan jackets all showed pronounced pebbling and were soft milled.

Ps. By the way Vanson always sold (and may still sell) a number of lesser quality jackets. Their whole line is not made up of their top of the line $500-$800 comp. weight hides jackets....that may explain what you're seeing on your rack.
Also, if you can show me a new comp. weight Aero or Vanson that can't stand up on its own I'll eat my hat.

I don't see where Mojo175 said that his $399 jackets were superior or even equal to Aero or Vanson, but that they were damn nice and many people preferred them to those jackets (at those prices). I'm no expert, but I have a Lost Worlds HH and an Aero HH jacket and I am giving serious thought to shelling out $399 for one these jackets. I'm not a biker and I need another jacket like I need a hole in the head, but that looks like a great value. Most of the under $600 cafe racers I've seen don't have those nice slim sleeves.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Our vintage Brimaco Cafe' Racers were just getting too pricey, especially since the original Brimaco Cafe' Racers had very, very questionable leather quality. Therefore, we took 3.0 to 3.5 oz. leather and stole the pattern, which has always been one of the best vintage patterns we could get our hands on! People have always loved that Brimaco fit, but, certainly, wouldn't want to have an "off" on a bike wearing one. So here's our version, with all YKK zips; incredible cowhide that is slightly pebbled; action back at the shoulders; industrial 1 3/4" elastic connecting shoulder gussets; all seams double- and triple-stitched; black cotton twill liner; reproduction tag under our house name; and all around great fit.

Hey Mojo,

Maybe you can steer me in the right direction for my needs. I love this jacket and I love the Model B Vanson. What I want is a jacket that isn't too short or "puffy" at the waist. My issue is a 8-10" drop from chest to waist and every jacket I wear is way too baggy around the waist. I have a vanson Enfield in 44R and it's great in the shoulders and sleeves but too baggy in the....... In your opinion, would the trimmer cut be your jacket or a Model B? If it's yours, can you put adjustment buckles on the sides like a B?

Finally, do you have any 42 or 44R in stock?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Aaron

Last edited:

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Our vintage Brimaco Cafe' Racers were just getting too pricey, especially since the original Brimaco Cafe' Racers had very, very questionable leather quality. Therefore, we took 3.0 to 3.5 oz. leather and stole the pattern, which has always been one of the best vintage patterns we could get our hands on! People have always loved that Brimaco fit, but, certainly, wouldn't want to have an "off" on a bike wearing one. So here's our version, with all YKK zips; incredible cowhide that is slightly pebbled; action back at the shoulders; industrial 1 3/4" elastic connecting shoulder gussets; all seams double- and triple-stitched; black cotton twill liner; reproduction tag under our house name; and all around great fit.

Hey Mojo,

Maybe you can steer me in the right direction for my needs. I love this jacket and I love the Model B Vanson. What I want is a jacket that isn't too short or "puffy" at the waist. My issue is a 8-10" drop from chest to waist and every jacket I wear is way too baggy around the waist. I have a vanson Enfield in 44R and it's great in the shoulders and sleeves but too baggy in the....... In your opinion, would the trimmer cut be your jacket or a Model B? If it's yours, can you put adjustment buckles on the sides like a B?

Finally, do you have any 42 or 44R in stock?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Aaron

There are many good options for you and we have each in stock. What you're looking for is a cafe' racer jacket with an inverted "A" shape. The first option is a Vanson PLU-2 or PLU-3, depending on your height. The second good option is an Aero cafe' racer of ours. There are a few good Schott options, but the fits vary quite a bit. Regardless, it's best to give us a ring and we can get you exactly what you're looking for!!!

garzo

One of the Regulars
Hey Mojo,

Great looking cafe racer. Would you say it's more "inspired" by the old Brimacos, or really an exact copy? I was under the impresion tha Brimacos were cut a bit longer than modern cafe racer jackets, but I could be wrong.

Is the new jacket made in the U.S. or overseas?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mojo - thanks- the classic pattern of this jacket and the slightly lighter leather make this to me more desirable than an Aero or Vanson. I may call you...

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hey Mojo,

Great looking cafe racer. Would you say it's more "inspired" by the old Brimacos, or really an exact copy? I was under the impresion tha Brimacos were cut a bit longer than modern cafe racer jackets, but I could be wrong.

Is the new jacket made in the U.S. or overseas?

I would say ours is inspired by the old Brimaco jackets, as it doesn't exactly replicate the Brimaco jackets in terms of hide, zippers, etc. We took parts of the old Brimaco jackets that we liked and incorporated them into this jacket. We took parts of the old Brimaco jackets that we didn't like and made them more appealing (i.e. that Brimaco windflap was absurd...LOL...). With regards to length, these are just as long as the Brimaco jackets from the late 1960s. They measure between 27" and 28" in length, depending on the size.

We did all of the pattern work here and made the original jackets in our shops in WA and CA. However, with the quality of leather that we wanted to use, the quantity of jackets that we would need, and the price point we wanted to meet, it made sense to contact the company that does our race gloves to make the jackets. The jackets are made in China, as is most all high-end race gear. The factory is home to some of the largest names in racing and you see their work on most every MotoGP, WSBK, BSBK, AMA, etc. grid. We share the factory with number of companies, but everything comes out great!

The good news about all of this is that we get our hands on the cowhide that has the highest abrasion resistance possible. The leather withstands triple-digit falls, and that's definitely a testament to its quality. I took a 110 mph fall in my race suit that uses this same leather last summer (turn 8, Thunderhill). I probably slid about 50 ft. on tarmac and another 100 ft. through the rough. I did fracture my sternum, but the leather held up amazing!!! Anything less (I'm talking the abrasion resistance of the leather, not the thickness of the leather) and I would have been in the hospital for weeks!

I'll attach a photo of our race gloves below as well as some shots of them in action...

Mojo - thanks- the classic pattern of this jacket and the slightly lighter leather make this to me more desirable than an Aero or Vanson. I may call you...

Definitely! We hope to hear from you!

Insurrection Race Glove Shots:

InsurrectionTristangloves.jpg

Wadewithcrazysmokingslider11.jpg

Clive.jpg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I got one of these 4 days ago. It's a great jacket. Fits just like the photo of Wade at the start of this thread. This Brimaco style pattern has always been my favourite Cafe Racers (it's long but fitted) and Insurrection have really pulled off the look. They even copied the Brimaco lining specs. The leather is solid and will take some breaking in. The zips are great. I'm 6 feet 2 and about 183 pounds the 42 fits like a second skin. With a little room for a light sweater and t-shirt. Nice streamlined look. Great service and highly recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran