Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thorogood Horsehide no. 685 boots from Epaulet

nissle

New in Town
I ordered mine on Sunday. Do you have the problem of the tongue sliding off the top of your foot? I had to re-order a new pair because I ruined the old pair applying bees wax. Don't apply straight bees wax!

I plan on breaking them in next month, but compared to my other Thorogood and RW boots, it does not have that webbing on the sides of the tongue. I think that maybe the reason it slides to the side? I hope your second pair works out for you and let us know how it turns out.

Nis

DonW

New in Town
I'm thinking of buying a pair of these, is everyone in this thread still pleased with their purchase, they seem to be good value for money compaired with other boots. Has anyone from the UK bought a pair of these, I take a size 10UK in ordinary shoes, this seems to relate to a size 11US depending on which conversion chart you look at, any comments on the size and fit?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Got a sign to go with my boots.

B

thorogood_sign_1.jpg

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Someday I'll understand this workwear boot as a going out boot thing....

Well, it IS a work boot. Somehow it has become an everyday footwear choice.

Different strokes for different folks..... I don't want to come off as confrontational, but I can't stand most dress shoes. I much prefer the thick leather and solid construction of a well made pair of boots. Heck, these Thorogoods are a simple enough style that they almost appear to be a pair of oxfords when the ankle of the boot is hidden by your pants leg.

There are boot people, shoe people, and sneaker people. I may not agree with all of their fashion choices, but it all comes down to personal tastes and opinions. Sure, they were orginally designed for hard work, but let's not pretend that fashion has much to do with the original purpose of an item. If it was all about utility, we wouldn't have hundreds of different colored t-shirts either - just white.

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Work boots and jeans work well in the modern casual world. They blend in while still being nicer than athletic shoes. They also work well for people like me who have small children and don't want to be dry cleaning suits and polishing shoes every other day. I'm not sure that people are proposing using these boots as "going out" footwear. I wouldn't wear these to a formal event for example.

I have a pair of boots that are almost exactly like these Epaulet boots that are also made by Thorogood and they are great for casual wear. They protect ones ankle more than a pair of dress shoes and IMO look very nice. These days with the standard level of dress where it is these would be considered better than what most people are wearing. They're also more durable than dress shoes.

For me one of the most important thing aesthetically is that they balance out a larger person like myself. Many dress shoes IMO don't complement larger body types well. They look great on skinny guys but I'm not skinny. Thin soled, sleek dress shoes make me look top heavy. They have the same effect as wearing skinny jeans would have in that I look like a big barrel balanced on top of a toothpick. Not symmetrical and not a look that I like.

Sam

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I like those Thorogood boots. I don't have a pair, but I am wearing my Wolverine 1000 boots right. With the type of sole on both the Thorogood and the Wolverine 1000, I can't imagine they could really be considered a work boot at all. I would expect a work boot to have a heavy-duty sole of some type.

buler

I'll Lock Up
If the hat fits, wear it

That would be preferable......

Threadcrapping

Derived from "crapping on a thread." Threadcrapping is the practice of making inflammatory or dismissive comments about the thread subject, or intentionally trying to shift the subject of the thread to something else. Coming into a thread titled "I love my new Apple Macintosh!", and posting "PCs are better and cheaper" is thread crapping.

In most cases, threadcrapping is considered to be asshat behavior.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Threadcrapping

Derived from "crapping on a thread." Threadcrapping is the practice of making inflammatory or dismissive comments about the thread subject, or intentionally trying to shift the subject of the thread to something else. Coming into a thread titled "I love my new Apple Macintosh!", and posting "PCs are better and cheaper" is thread crapping.

In most cases, threadcrapping is considered to be asshat behavior.

Lighten up bro'...FWIW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou