Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

those darn moths!

Smuterella

One Too Many
My partner has clothes moths that are slowly eating away her wool rug and will, I'm sure, love my vintage clothes if I ever move in with her.

What is the best way to get rid of the little blighters?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
My partner has clothes moths that are slowly eating away her wool rug and will, I'm sure, love my vintage clothes if I ever move in with her.

What is the best way to get rid of the little blighters?

Stay over at your own place...!!lol :D :D ;) ;)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Get rid of the rug right away if that's where they are living. Believe me they won't just stop there. The problem with chemical treatments is that they don't work particularly well as the moth eggs are so tiny that they fall to the bottom of the pile where the treatments don't always reach. I know a moth/beetle expert who has studied these beggars and believe me he knows his advice is to throw away any carpets or rugs that are infested.

The advice of the deep freeze is very sound as a less dramatic option, but my experience with moths is that they are capable of a great deal of damage.
If there is a carpet underneath the rug you will need to hoover and treat that too.

They are absolute blighters and can have a sudden HUGE unexpected population explosion at any time and you really don't want that to happen.

We don't want your gorgeous vintage collection chomped now do we;) !

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, moths can be a horror show, and once your home has them they can be hard to eradicate. The freezing option is good. For some wool clothes you can wash them with mild detergent and add a little keroseme to the wash. That will also wipe out the little monsters.
Worst case scenario: have all your wool clothes dry cleaned, or at least washed with kerosene, and fumigate the house.

Smuterella

One Too Many
the rug is huge, 100% wool and quite valuable, we are going to have to treat it

thanks for the advice people!

x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy