Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts about fit?

jadub

A-List Customer
Thank you for the input. I couldn’t figure out what I didn’t like about the fit until the buckle started being mentioned. Today I put a pair of pants on that have a higher waste and I though the fit looked fine. Very interesting stuff.

jadub

A-List Customer
Just to be clear because I’m thinking a zip jacket may be nice. If I want my buckle covered I should go with a thirties style? I also understand the fit is slimmer. I have the side straps pulled tight on this jacket which I don’t care for. Are the arm pits higher on the thirties style.

The 30s cut should be the same as yours...try looking at the Premier 30s HB. It has slimmer sleeves, shoulders and higher armholes. You may need to go 1 size up. If you’re in the US, give Carrie @ Thurston Bros a call.

jadub

A-List Customer
On a similar note, my wife and I were talking about whether or not it’s okay to have shirt tails hanging out or if shirts should be tucked with a leather jacket. Is there a fit and style post I can follow pertaining to the do’s and don’ts of wearing a nice leather jacket?

Folks around here usually prefer to tuck, although it’s changing with time...and some styles allow more than others.
I don’t tuck but I usually wear T shirts and such with my leather jackets. Some guys like jackets a bit longer to cover shirt tails.

jadub

A-List Customer
The 30s cut should be the same as yours...try looking at the Premier 30s HB. It has slimmer sleeves, shoulders and higher armholes. You may need to go 1 size up. If you’re in the US, give Carrie @ Thurston Bros a call.
I am in the US and recently ordered a B6 from Carrie. It seems it will be a while before it gets here. I would like to keep that the last full price piece I get. Can’t let this get to out of hand and I sort of enjoy the hunt. On the other hand it would be nice to have something come and totally fill that spot in me that yearns for the perfect jacket.

It’s a dilemma.
I’ve spent years jacketeering- had a lot of fun too, but my 1 custom order is still my favorite. In the end, I wonder how the money works out...

jglf

A-List Customer
On a similar note, my wife and I were talking about whether or not it’s okay to have shirt tails hanging out or if shirts should be tucked with a leather jacket. Is there a fit and style post I can follow pertaining to the do’s and don’ts of wearing a nice leather jacket?
If you’re going to untuck, I would wear brands that are shorter and meant to be worn untucked. I won’t buy a shirt that is longer than 29in.

jadub

A-List Customer
If you’re going to untuck, I would wear brands that are shorter and meant to be worn untucked. I won’t buy a shirt that is longer than 29in.
Huh this all starts to get pretty specific. My wife and I are realizing we’ve hit the age where youth can get us a pass on our appearance. I’m tired of looking frumpy. As you can see in the original pics for this thread my pants aren’t exactly bespoke.

jadub

A-List Customer
The jacket in the pics is a 38. What do you have? I admit I am a fan of the heavy weight leather. I need to be able to developer a relationship with the jacket. If it’s too easy I don’t like it.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I’m new here, but to me the jacket is much too short in the body. Sleeve length is perfect IMO.

From what I understand here, Thurston will ship you a fit jacket and then work with you to customize your fit. That might be something to so consider, unless you want to go hog wild and buy a bespoke custom.

On a second note, I’m always curious to read about members here who “flip jackets”. Seems like most of these jackets are sold at significant discounts to retail, (assuming retail was paid). That said, maybe ponying up for bespoke will save you time and money in the long run.

Just my newbie thoughts.

The jacket in the pics is a 38. What do you have? I admit I am a fan of the heavy weight leather. I need to be able to developer a relationship with the jacket. If it’s too easy I don’t like it.
Feel free to “start a conversation” if you want.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Maybe i'm in the minority here, but i don't think the short front is bad.

The stock 30s HB has a very prominent drop front with a downwards arrow that i think is harder to wear, a bit more old school. IMO the square front is a bit more modern.

Here is a good pic of the 30's HB stock front, i don't think it looks better with the drop, different sure, but not better:

bMJVEs5.jpg

Here are a few of my favourite jackets, as you can see they are pretty short in the front but i would not change anything, i like it like that.
Admittedly they are of a very different style to yours, but i would happily wear the jacket you posted above, i think that with the right pair of jeans it would look great.

cVxi1Aa.jpg

e9KsOl3.jpg

1UtB0gN.jpg

IptfihY.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy