Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on cake mascara

TessTrueheart

The one I use (Isadora) comes in a small compact with a mirror and a brush. And yes, the brush does look like a small toothbrush. It's quite easy to use. I've never used a metal comb.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I'm really interested in this cake mascara business. The thimerosal really puts me off though. Is there a cake mascara out there without thimerosal? I did a bit a research and found a few tube mascaras that were listed as mercury free so it sounds like it's common in both tube and cake mascaras (as well as vaccines!) Sheesh! What's next....lead in lipstick!?:p

live vintageous

Familiar Face
There are thimerosal-free choices!

MarieAnne said:
I'm really interested in this cake mascara business. The thimerosal really puts me off though. Is there a cake mascara out there without thimerosal? I did a bit a research and found a few tube mascaras that were listed as mercury free so it sounds like it's common in both tube and cake mascaras (as well as vaccines!) Sheesh! What's next....lead in lipstick!?:p

There are a few brands that exclude thimerosal from their cake mascara:
Chanel, Longcils, and Isadora. There is also a cake mascara available through Vermont Country Store, but it doesn't have any waxes in it, which means it might be more of a cake liner than a cake mascara. I know I haven't used a cake mascara(yet), but most of the cake and tube mascaras include a wax to help thicken and lengthen lashes. Wax is good in this case.

Price-wise, Chanel and Longcils are the most expensive. I found a Longcils cake mascara on Ebay for $19.99 plus $4 s/h, though usually it runs for $25-$30. That's more than I want to spend on mascara. Isadora is under $10, but Walgreens has discontinued carrying the Isadora line. SO we'll have to wait until March 1st, when cosmeticmall.com starts selling Isadora online. (Can you tell I've made too large a search for cake mascara?:eek: )

I hope I can make it until March 1st. I'm almost out of mascara and I don't really want to purchase a new tube just to make it for a few days.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MK said:
There is no such thing as a great mascara. It is always a compromise. A perfect mascara would:

1) Go on smooth.

2) Make your lashes thick and long.

3) Not clump.

4) Not run when you cry.

5) Easy to remove.

6) Last a long time.

Exactly lol I go through endless tubes of mascara since I am never satisfied with any! At the moment I switch between YSL Effet Faux Cils and Maybelline new XXL Curl Power. The YSL one is good but I lose lashes when I remove it and it flakes, whereas the Maybelline doesn't flake as much but it smudges easily.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
bummed

I recently tried out the cake mascara from the VCS, and I was very pleased with how easy it was to put on, and my lashes were very nice, fanned and colored. They even looked rather lush.

30 minutes later I looked like a raccoon.:(

Am I missing some trick??

I'm back to using my Prescriptives.

PS

A-List Customer
Red,
Did you perhaps wet your brush too much? Did you use the brush included or a different one? This is what I do to lessen the raccoon eyes.....but I am not a huge fan of cake mascara...I haven't mastered the learning curve but I LOOOOOVEEEEE Mascara........

I use a mascara wand from a regular tube. Just wash it off. Dry it.
Use a smidge of water on the wand. Scrub it around on the cake.
Back away from the mascara!!!!!! Let it thicken on the wand for a about a minute. It also gives the excess water a chance to evaporate so when you apply it isn't too wet. Mascara effects is more about the brush than the formula so play around that way.:p

Antje

One Too Many
Maybe a strange question, but what do you all mean with cake mascara,
I never heard of the word, but maybe that's because I just don't know the word in dutch,
I hope someone can explain to me.

leaette

A-List Customer
kittyt: what type of mascara do you use? i need waterproof too.

that mercury stuff in the other brands is very scarey!!!! that's the stuff they used to put in the shots they give babies and alot of mothers think that that is what gave their kids autism. they don't put it in shots anymore though. i wouldn't touch ANYTHING that has thimerasol in it with a 10 foot pole. and i don't think putting it next to your eyes is a good thing either.

leaette

A-List Customer
antje: cake mascara comes in a little container (kind of like an eye shadow container). not in a tube like what we are used to. you have to wet your brush and rub it on the dried mascara that is in the container. that's what they had "back in the day".

PS

A-List Customer
Antje said:
Maybe a strange question, but what do you all mean with cake mascara,
I never heard of the word, but maybe that's because I just don't know the word in dutch,
I hope someone can explain to me.

It is a solid mascara that you add water to.It comes in a compact with a little brush that resembles a toothbrush. It lasts forever.
Here is a pic of my cake (LaFemme) mascara.

i23k1d.jpg
[/IMG]

Antje

One Too Many
thank your leaette an ps, now i know what you al meaning, I actualy never saw something like that,
I'm very curious now of course so i think i'm gonna start searching for it.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Okay, so cosmeticmall.com is still not carrying Isadora. :(

So I got on ebay. I did find a longcils for 9.99...so I hope nobody outbids me! Boy, finding a reasonablly priced (thimerosal free) cake mascara is difficult. My shopping muscles are getting sore lol

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks PS. I tried some cakemascara after reading this tread but wasn't please. Will give it another try though with your method. When I tried it was som hard to apply and get any volyme but maybe this time with an ordinary brush.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
PS said:
Red,
Did you perhaps wet your brush too much? Did you use the brush included or a different one? This is what I do to lessen the raccoon eyes.....but I am not a huge fan of cake mascara...I haven't mastered the learning curve but I LOOOOOVEEEEE Mascara........

I use a mascara wand from a regular tube. Just wash it off. Dry it.
Use a smidge of water on the wand. Scrub it around on the cake.
Back away from the mascara!!!!!! Let it thicken on the wand for a about a minute. It also gives the excess water a chance to evaporate so when you apply it isn't too wet. Mascara effects is more about the brush than the formula so play around that way.:p
lol lol Thanks PS for your help!! I think I may have messed around with it too much and I am going to try the tip of using a new brush. I think I need to let it set longer on the brush before I apply.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
HElp!

I ordered a LaFemme Cake Mascara w/ brush in brown on eBay. It has finally arrived but it doesn't look like the picture. The mascara cake is brown but the case is black. The case is imitation turtoise shell in the picture. Also the picture depicts a small toothbrush-like brush but I got two mascara wands. What's going on? PS has posted some pictures of her using the cake mascara with a mascara spoolie. Has anyone else tried this, how does it compare to the flat brush? I would try it out but I'd like to be able to return it if it's no good. What should I do? Since when did La Femme change this product?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred