Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on 'feltex'

QMcK

Familiar Face
Hi,

I've seen a cheap 'feltex' bowler hat on Trademe (like Ebay) ($NZ30 - maybe around $US15 or $20). A shop listed it, and I've got the address of the shop. I haven't gone yet, but I wanted to know what people thought of 'feltex'. I'd never heard of it as a material. Feltex is a New Zealand carpet manufacturer.

Thanks,
Quentin.

QMcK

Familiar Face
Hello,

I'm not really considering getting one of these anymore. I'd still be interested to hear what you have to say about 'feltex' (if there is anyone here who has heard of it). Here's a 'feltex' bowler hat I found on Trademe. I assume it's similar.
feltex.jpg
(I know, ridiculous angle. I'd say it's too small for the manequin.)

And here's the one I was thinking of -perhaps - getting. I haven't been there yet. http://www.alt-essentials.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_36&products_id=243
I went to that site because they previously had one of those hats on Trademe.

I want to ask if anyone has had experience with feltex. Before this, I had not heard of it. I did not find anything about it on Wikipedia, either. Perhaps it's just a fancy name they dreamed up so they could charge more for the hat.

I know that hat won't be up to your standards. But if I were to buy a bowler, I don't think I could bear to spend more than $50 on it.

Thanks,
Quentin.

cptjeff

Practically Family
That looks like permafelt. Basically a plastic with fiber- wool if you're lucky, polyester if not, that's made in sheets and then form pressed into molds.

Complete and utter junk. Those are made for costume use and nothing more. If you're looking for something to wear on a regular basis, at least get something made of wool felt if you can't spend for fur.
Even better, find a fur felt one on e-bay.

donnc

One of the Regulars
QMcK said:
Hello,
I know that hat won't be up to your standards. But if I were to buy a bowler, I don't think I could bear to spend more than $50 on it.

Don't count this as advice from an expert, but with similar sentiment I recently mail-ordered a lined wool bowler from www.hatsinthebelfry.com for $38 plus shipping, and it seems all right to me. Made in the US, with their house label but presumably by someone like New York Hat Co.? Not posh, but it's a real hat.

Unfortunately shipping to New Zealand would erase some of the cost savings, but at least there's reason to hope that you can afford something better than carpet felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats