Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on my new RM A2?

f2002q

One of the Regulars
First of all, I'm not knowledgeable on A-2 style jackets at all. All I know is that there were many different contracts during the war and some maker's jackets were more fitted than others. But I don't know if it's historical accuracy you're after or you're simply in the market for a nice looking leather jacket. Either way, I don’t think this is it.

Like others have said, there's way too much material in the back and the sleeves are too long. When I think of a good looking A-2 (in terms of fit) I think of @dudewuttheheck A-2.

View attachment 392639

Yup, you should get one size smaller.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I came to the lounge back in 2015 on a hunt for the “best” A-2 jacket. I have bought five of them since then and have very little to show for it. The only two that fit half way decent are because I took jackets that were too big to a good tailor and had him trim them down to my size. The A-2 is undoubtedly one of the hardest jackets to find the right combination of trim fit and comfort.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks @Marc mndt .

I have to agree with Marc and @Monitor and say that this jacket does not look good on you at ALL. The fit looks terrible. The sleeves and body are too long, it does make your shoulders look tiny and makes you look like you have a big belly and/or wide hips. This is not an insult to you because the jacket seems to be the culprit. Also, I don't that sweater underneath is helping either. You want a jacket that flatters you and this one just does not.

Either way, this is not the right jacket for you and I don't think it is just the sizing. You may want to go for a different style of jacket altogether or different contract etc. Maybe sizing down will work, but as others have said, mobility is an issue with smaller A2 jackets.

Some bodies just suit certain styles of jackets. One of my favorite jackets in the world is the Freewheelers Mulholland and my body just doesn't work for that jacket anymore so I cannot buy one. I just have to live with that.

I know my comments are negative in a way, but it's because I am trying to help try to push you to a positive outcome of finding a jacket that will flatter you and make you feel awesome. The fact that you are asking these questions in the first place already shows that you are aware that something is not quite right.

MrProper

Maybe sizing down will work, but as others have said, mobility is an issue with smaller A2 jackets.
Ok, not an A-2, but similar in style. Although trim fit good mobility.
5583D671-E723-45BE-AE18-53CBD1D05BED.jpeg
961036C5-565C-44DC-9712-187595F8820C.jpeg

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I received a RM A2 in canyon red size 44 just before Christmas. The jacket fit me perfectly everywhere except through the chest , where it was too tight.

I think I’ve concluded that the Japanese brands just don’t work for me even though the advertised measurements suggest they should.

Unfortunately I have to agree with others here in saying the jacket is not a flattering look on you. That said, a size down may be too tight in the chest judging by your pictures …

tough call but I’d send that one back … I had to as well:rolleyes:

Aloysius

An A-2 is meant to fit trim… and if it fits right, mobility will be poor, so I understand why civilianized versions have gone for an unflattering bigger fit.

I would strongly suggest you check out one of the Navy jackets, instead. Even in a trim fit, they have much more mobility than an A-2 due to the gussets and bi-swing back. The main visual difference for a non-enthusiast would be the mouton collar on most naval jackets, however you can sidestep this by going for the AN-J-3 (a hybrid army/navy jacket from late in the War, which was basically a Navy M-422a without the fur collar.)

Lordofthequince

New in Town
Thank you all for your insightful feedback! I’ll be receiving the one size down today (which has 1 inch less pit to pit, .75 inch less shoulder seam to seam, and about one inch less in sleeve).

Fingers crossed that the jacket will look better- otherwise I’ll be back on the hunt!

@dudewhattheheck- I totally agree on the point you made about me questioning the fit as a red flag. When I first put on my Schott Perfecto 618 6 years ago- I knew right away that it was the perfect fit. Whenever I wear that jacket I feel like at my sharpest and best, ready to take on the world! Now I’m just looking to chase that feeling with another jacket more suitable for everyday wear but with the same edge, as I always end up reaching for my Barbour Beaufort in 90% of situations calling for a jacket.

Aloysius

The Schott 618 (riding) and Barbour Beaufort (shooting) are designed for mobility, with patterns built for this purpose.

An A-2 will never feel just right in the same way. It is designed to be a neat fitting uniform jacket with little mobility.

Mr.P

One of the Regulars
I had a similar issue with The RMC A2. Size 44 was a great fit in the shoulders and chest but to baggy in the waist and long in the arms and body. I ended up swapping it for a size 42 which was great in the length and waist but to tight under the arms, chest and shoulders. I do have to say The leather was amazing with a wonderful aroma.
However I’ve learned the hard way through a Lot of trial and error that there is no point in keeping a jacket that doesn’t fit just because it’s nice. You touched on a good point that most of us know instantly when we put on the right jacket. It really should make you feel awesome whenever you wear it and not in any way self conscious about the fit. If it doesn’t feel right there’s no amount of positive feed back that will change the way you feel. Sometimes I think we all search for someone’s approval knowing full well it’s not quite right. If the 42 doesn’t work send it back again and look at something else.

Mr.P

One of the Regulars
This is pretty irrelevant to why the A-2 fits the way it does, though.
Someone made a comment that the bottom looked too wide and the top to narrow. I was just commenting that a V shape is more flattering.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for your insightful feedback! I’ll be receiving the one size down today (which has 1 inch less pit to pit, .75 inch less shoulder seam to seam, and about one inch less in sleeve).

Fingers crossed that the jacket will look better- otherwise I’ll be back on the hunt!

@dudewhattheheck- I totally agree on the point you made about me questioning the fit as a red flag. When I first put on my Schott Perfecto 618 6 years ago- I knew right away that it was the perfect fit. Whenever I wear that jacket I feel like at my sharpest and best, ready to take on the world! Now I’m just looking to chase that feeling with another jacket more suitable for everyday wear but with the same edge, as I always end up reaching for my Barbour Beaufort in 90% of situations calling for a jacket.
Yeah you know the feeling, so don't accept anything less given that you already know what it feels like!

Aloysius

Yeah you know the feeling, so don't accept anything less given that you already know what it feels like!

Indeed he has a particularly good barometer since a well-fitting 613/618 gives him a frame of reference for how a snug jacket should fit while the Beaufort gives him a reference for how a field jacket should fit.

Lordofthequince

New in Town
Great news! The size 42 RMC A2 came in and I'm through the moon with the jacket! Nearly all of my pain points with the size 44 were corrected. The smaller size doesn't have the blousing on the front panels and the shapeless back stemming from the excess leather. To my surprise, the fit is even better in the shoulders (I thought they would be too small). The jacket fits so much better and has the comfortable snugness that I love, and my fears of an ultra restricted chest also did not come to light.

As an added bonus, I prefer the leather aesthetics of this jacket more. The leather has a more "oily" look so to speak with much more apparent graining and doesn't have any noticable "scarring" that the size 44 has that I tried so hard to stomach. The other jacket didn't have much graining and had a plasticky sheen to as opposed to the oily look of this jacket. I'm not so sure if I'll be able to capture this difference in photos.

I'll post pics of the new jacket in a few days. I'm going to break it in a little more and enjoy the jacket for a bit before it gets ripped apart by you lot! :p

Thank you all again for all of your input. I'm so glad to have found this community and to really kickstart this hobby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21