Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on The Real McCoy peacoat vs the Private White VC peacoat

XX-Pat

New in Town
First, I wanted to say a big thank you to the forum in general and dudewuttheheck in particular. This is a tremendous resource and really helped me settle on my A2, a Real McCoy Rough Wear that I picked up in Osaka a few months back.

Next on my list is a solid peacoat for winter. I really like the Real McCoy WWII (though will also try on the 1913 when I’m back later in spring). But the provenance of the Private White is interesting. Does anyone have experience with the latter? If so, how does it stack up to the Real McCoy in terms of fit and quality (which I know is great)?

VestCoast

A-List Customer
I recently picked up Private White VC's Field Coat and its pretty much top notch. Construction is superlative and the details are both functional and aesthetic. Love the copper two-way zip.

Either option here is great. RMC is definitely in the high end repro game while PWVC has a legacy making functional outerwear. When it comes to pea coats though, the design is pretty standard so I would pick whichever piece has the details you like better. Fit obviously is most important, but I figure you can't try both on.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't know about Private White but if you are thinking about the 1913 model, I would suggest trying the Freewheelers in stead of RM.

Rosecitymike

One of the Regulars
I have the Private White peacoat and it is outstanding. I get compliments on it frequently. I almost went for the longer (bridge coat?) collab with Permanent Style, but I went with the more casual peacoat which for me was a better choice.

XX-Pat

New in Town
I recently picked up Private White VC's Field Coat and its pretty much top notch. Construction is superlative and the details are both functional and aesthetic. Love the copper two-way zip.

Either option here is great. RMC is definitely in the high end repro game while PWVC has a legacy making functional outerwear. When it comes to pea coats though, the design is pretty standard so I would pick whichever piece has the details you like better. Fit obviously is most important, but I figure you can't try both on.
Thanks!

Private White seems to have a friendly international return policy, so might be able to order one to try on without too much risk.

XX-Pat

New in Town
Don't know about Private White but if you are thinking about the 1913 model, I would suggest trying the Freewheelers in stead of RM.
I’ll definitely take a look when I head back to Japan next. Not sure if they currently produce this version, but there are a lot of great second hand stores where I might be able to find one.

XX-Pat

New in Town
I have the Private White peacoat and it is outstanding. I get compliments on it frequently. I almost went for the longer (bridge coat?) collab with Permanent Style, but I went with the more casual peacoat which for me was a better choice.
Thanks, and glad to hear some firsthand experience. Do you find the 30 oz weight to be warm enough in winter without too many extra layers?

Rosecitymike

One of the Regulars
Thanks, and glad to hear some firsthand experience. Do you find the 30 oz weight to be warm enough in winter without too many extra layers?
Very much so, but I live in the Pacific Northwest, so winters are relatively mild.

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
I've tried both on. Would say the Private White peacoat is more luxurious, a super fine feel to it, while the RMC is thicker and built like a tank. If you're going for an authentic repro feel, the RMC would probably be a closer fit, while the Private White would be more stylish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko