Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this safari hat & this company?

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I've been tempted to order one of these safari hats for several months now:

http://www.tagsafari.com/item/h-018_african+safari+felt+hat+zebra_hats

I don't know anything about the hat or the company.

I'm kind of reluctant to buy a hat that has part of a dead animal on it. I hunt predators but I'm a little less willing to buy a hat knowing some animal was killed just so I can have a hat band of genuine zebra or whatever. Besides, I'd probably put a puggaree on it so the need to have the zebra hat band just isn't there.

Any thoughts on this?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I've never purchased from TAG, but they have an excellent reputation on this site and others. Look up Bush Jacket on the lounge here and see what you get.

On the hat, I'd get a (more expensive) Akubra Bush Hat:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=80

I owned a wool version, this version is fur felt and will last pretty much forever. Take the leather strap off, and the brass insignia (if it comes with it) and you have a great safari hat. Akubra also has a great reputation around here.

I just grabbed the link for David Morgan, there are 3-4 other places to get an Akubra.

Later

Ranbro

New in Town
Hi Doc,

I haven't heard from this company either but I would seriously consider any number of Akubra hats. I have a oliver colored Tablelands sold by EA and by Hat's Direct. It has a 3 1/4" bound brimand three vents on each side of the crown. The bush hat described above is another outstandinf candidate as is the Angler from David Morgan.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Hi Doc,

I haven't heard from this company either but I would seriously consider any number of Akubra hats. I have a oliver colored Tablelands sold by EA and by Hat's Direct. It has a 3 1/4" bound brimand three vents on each side of the crown. The bush hat described above is another outstandinf candidate as is the Angler from David Morgan.

Can you post pics of the Tablelands? I saw one on eBay and the shade of green looked more like Christmas than safari.

1961MJS: I've also been tempted for months to order an Akubra slouch hat.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've been tempted to order one of these safari hats for several months now:

http://www.tagsafari.com/item/h-018_african+safari+felt+hat+zebra_hats

I don't know anything about the hat or the company.

I'm kind of reluctant to buy a hat that has part of a dead animal on it. I hunt predators but I'm a little less willing to buy a hat knowing some animal was killed just so I can have a hat band of genuine zebra or whatever. Besides, I'd probably put a puggaree on it so the need to have the zebra hat band just isn't there.

Any thoughts on this?

If you buy a hat made of rabbit or beaver fur, you're still buying a hat that "has part of a dead animal on it," whether you can see its colors or not. And since they advertise this as a felt hat...odds are good that "some animal was killed just so you can have" a hat.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Doc, I went through the same safari hat search a year or so ago and I ended up with the Tablelands and I've been very happy with it.

It is hard to capture the colour of the felt with a phone camera, but I think this comes close - olive green for me.

smugshot_3264795-L.jpg

The first thing I did was remove the alligator (or whatever it is) hat band and bought a pug from a bloke in Singapore who sells them on eBay.

I've enjoyed the hat a lot since I got it - perfect for hiking in just about any weather, I think it would probably stop a bullet if needed too :)

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
If you buy a hat made of rabbit or beaver fur, you're still buying a hat that "has part of a dead animal on it," whether you can see its colors or not. And since they advertise this as a felt hat...odds are good that "some animal was killed just so you can have" a hat.

Touche. That's not as obvious though. My real issue is a girlfriend who's an animal lover. The obvious zebra or alligator hat band would be a no-no.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Doc, I went through the same safari hat search a year or so ago and I ended up with the Tablelands and I've been very happy with it.

It is hard to capture the colour of the felt with a phone camera, but I think this comes close - olive green for me.

smugshot_3264795-L.jpg

The first thing I did was remove the alligator (or whatever it is) hat band and bought a pug from a bloke in Singapore who sells them on eBay.

I've enjoyed the hat a lot since I got it - perfect for hiking in just about any weather, I think it would probably stop a bullet if needed too :)

I think that might be close enough. I've got a Beaver Brand safari hat in roughly the same color.

How's the stiffness of that hat?

One thing that's kept me from just ordering an Aussie slouch hat is the overall floppiness of the brim (from what I've seen in pics). I like a hat with some stiffness to it.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I think that might be close enough. I've got a Beaver Brand safari hat in roughly the same color.

How's the stiffness of that hat?

One thing that's kept me from just ordering an Aussie slouch hat is the overall floppiness of the brim (from what I've seen in pics). I like a hat with some stiffness to it.

The Tablelands is made from pretty robust felt. I think it would be stiff enough for you - I always say it would stop a bullet!

Duper

Practically Family
I own a Tablelands in the olive and it is a terrific hat. I ordered mine with a 2 3/4 brim back in the day when Akubra would allow minor modifications. I like the bound brim. And yes, it is a stiff felt.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
If you're looking for a serious safari hat then the Akubra 'Territory' might be worth a look. They Come in sage green & a beige, which are both traditional safari hat colours. This hat has a 4" brim which offers maximun sun protection & with a little steam you can model both brim & crown to any shape you choose. Remove the cheap bonded leather hat band & replace it with a puggaree & you've got yourself a decent 'Out of Africa' / 'The ghost & the Darkness' type safari hat.

A word of warning Doc, the hat in the link you posted doesn't look that good & has a brim only marginally wider than an average fedora, hardly a safari hat.

Last edited:

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
In a total departure from the traditional felt or fur safari hat, I present my new favorite safari lid:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/all-fedoras/451139-88190/cotton-safari-hat.html

It's lightweight and cool for summer. The cheesy leather hat band is easily removable if you're careful (the glue is just barely enough to hold it on). I replaced the leather hat band with a Dorfman Pacific three-pleat puggaree (also available from Village Hat Shop; search "pug hat band."). A word of caution: the leather hat band covers some butt ugly stitching, so once you've removed it you're more or less committed to covering up that stitching with something else.

The brim is amazing: I've gotten the hat soaking wet in a rainstorm and when the hat was dry the brim had retained its shape and stiffness. The brim sort of naturally "drapes" like an expensive Akrubra, but for about 1/5 the price. As the wet hat dried, I simply let the hat rest on the brim, and it was perfectly reshaped when dry.

Cons: The stitching at the front of the pinch at the crown frays quickly. I'm talking about the stitching that apparently holds the liner tight against the inside, and NOT the structural stitching of the crown panels. Those appear to be fine. In other words: the hat is holding together quite well, but I suspect the liner is going to fit loosely pretty soon. All in all, I like this hat so much I ordered a couple of spares!

No more felt hats in summer for me!

jaxonresized.jpg

jaxon2.jpg

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
That hat is what I have begun wearing as my travel hat in "hot weather places" and I've been very satisfied with it. Although I got mine from orvis.com and its waterproof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy