Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Bros. - Official Affiliate Thread

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Don't overlook the Aero Shackleton! This vest makes a very cool addition to the classic wardrobe... Here's an awesome example of the Shackleton posted on Aero's Instagram--

Aero Shackleton customer 2.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Custom Aero Cafe' Racer in Tumbled Brown CXL FQHH...the tumbling really brings out a different look and feel to the CXL FQHH! While Tumbled FQHH is still a stiff leather, you can see more of the natural HH grain and the finish has less of the "shine" of standard CXL.

www.thurston-bros.com

Aero Cafe Racer Tumbled Brown CXL FQHH Capercaillie tartan lining.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Tumbled Brown CXL FQHH tag.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Tumbled Brown CXL FQHH front.jpg
Aero Cafe Racer Tumbled Brown CXL FQHH sleeve zip.jpg

b1lf

One of the Regulars
I'll likely start my own thread, but thought I'd put this here as well.

I'll have high quality DSLR, outdoor, fit pics posted within a week or so.

Massive thanks to Carrie (and Wade a bit) for all of the help - it's been 2-3 YEARS now for the endless search for my perfect cafe racer. I've purchased 'fashion brands' (Diesel, etc), Schott (654), and tried on countless others at high end spots where I live here in Venice/LA. None really fit the bill.

I was done messing around... after much debate on the Aero Board Racer (an amazing jacket, I'm sure) - I actually went with a wild card purchase and ended up with a Vanson Model B.

This jacket doesn't see much fame on the internet, that's for sure. It's a unicorn... try finding a 'real life' fit pic of this thing, nearly impossible. Again, I live in Venice (SoCal).... so COLD here is anything below 71.3 degrees. (Quick aside: I grew up in Wisconsin, so I know what REAL cold is, but trust me, your blood thins out after living in a warm climate and 50 is now freezing for me). That said, I'd only wear a T-shirt, henley, or perhaps a long sleeve dress shirt/flannel underneath. I wanted a snug fit.

The sizing chart from Vanson was hard to understand because, to me, the chest measurements were huge. Again this is where Thurston Bros came through -> Carrie suggested a size 38 for a snug fit - I'm 5'10", 175-180 lbs, 40" chest. Now someone else could have exactly those measurements but have a shorter torso or longer arms or thicker stomach -------- but WOW ------- she nailed the fit.

This thing is a TANK. The leather quality is amazing and very thick. Actually had a bit of a chemical smell from the die(s) and what not, but nothing unpleasant. Was happy to get a 'fresh' one. :) I'm on day 3 now and that slight chemical smell has faded and now smells incredible.

I'll do a big picture dump, but honestly pics don't do this thing justice - the hardware is top notch - the side buckles look like they could be on a $200 belt - I love having hand pockets, 1 chest pocket, and 1 interior pocket.

The sleeves REALLY cinch down around the wrist - I read through pretty much every single page on here and saw another new Vanson owner comment about the "sloppy" material around the wrists.... well I know that after a break-in, it'll form a nice snug fold.

It's TOUGH to break in, but that's exactly what I wanted... something that will mold to me. The inside of my elbows and my wrists especially are really working, haha...

Downsides? Umm the upper arms are a tiny bit loose but there's room to grow..... and the bottom of the zipper is plastic? That wraps that section up. ;)

One final thought on the jacket ----- BACK/SHOULDER GUSSETS ----- I'm so glad I have these. Especially with a snug fit, these things are a savior. The biggest downside to my Schott 654 (well plus the fact the thing didn't mold to me whatsoever and I don't think the finish quality was on par with this Vanson) - was the lack of back gussets.

I (stubbornly) drive a manual BMW M3 around in LA traffic, and the Schott I had to take off before I hopped in the car because I couldn't move around comfortably. This Vanson I can have full mobility and I feel like I'm wearing an armored battle suit driving... as well as walking around (I do not ride a motorcycle, but surely this thing is a beast for that, like it has been designed for).

All around A+++ purchase. I'm so happy.

Again big thanks to Carrie for answering my 832 questions, promptly, with what I imagine as a smile on her face doing so. Enough typing, on to the picture dump and then to go outside in this freezing 54 degree weather with this thing on while it lasts!

front 2 by B1LF, on Flickr

leather by B1LF, on Flickr

hand pocket 1 by B1LF, on Flickr

chest pocket and zipper by B1LF, on Flickr

sleeve end by B1LF, on Flickr

sleeve zipper and side buckle by B1LF, on Flickr

side buckle by B1LF, on Flickr

plastic zipper end? by B1LF, on Flickr

back by B1LF, on Flickr

vanson back by B1LF, on Flickr

shoulder by B1LF, on Flickr

shoulder 2 by B1LF, on Flickr

top by B1LF, on Flickr

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'll likely start my own thread, but thought I'd put this here as well.

I'll have high quality DSLR, outdoor, fit pics posted within a week or so.

Massive thanks to Carrie (and Wade a bit) for all of the help - it's been 2-3 YEARS now for the endless search for my perfect cafe racer. I've purchased 'fashion brands' (Diesel, etc), Schott (654), and tried on countless others at high end spots where I live here in Venice/LA. None really fit the bill.

I was done messing around... after much debate on the Aero Board Racer (an amazing jacket, I'm sure) - I actually went with a wild card purchase and ended up with a Vanson Model B.

This jacket doesn't see much fame on the internet, that's for sure. It's a unicorn... try finding a 'real life' fit pic of this thing, nearly impossible. Again, I live in Venice (SoCal).... so COLD here is anything below 71.3 degrees. (Quick aside: I grew up in Wisconsin, so I know what REAL cold is, but trust me, your blood thins out after living in a warm climate and 50 is now freezing for me). That said, I'd only wear a T-shirt, henley, or perhaps a long sleeve dress shirt/flannel underneath. I wanted a snug fit.

The sizing chart from Vanson was hard to understand because, to me, the chest measurements were huge. Again this is where Thurston Bros came through -> Carrie suggested a size 38 for a snug fit - I'm 5'10", 175-180 lbs, 40" chest. Now someone else could have exactly those measurements but have a shorter torso or longer arms or thicker stomach -------- but WOW ------- she nailed the fit.

This thing is a TANK. The leather quality is amazing and very thick. Actually had a bit of a chemical smell from the die(s) and what not, but nothing unpleasant. Was happy to get a 'fresh' one. :) I'm on day 3 now and that slight chemical smell has faded and now smells incredible.

I'll do a big picture dump, but honestly pics don't do this thing justice - the hardware is top notch - the side buckles look like they could be on a $200 belt - I love having hand pockets, 1 chest pocket, and 1 interior pocket.

The sleeves REALLY cinch down around the wrist - I read through pretty much every single page on here and saw another new Vanson owner comment about the "sloppy" material around the wrists.... well I know that after a break-in, it'll form a nice snug fold.

It's TOUGH to break in, but that's exactly what I wanted... something that will mold to me. The inside of my elbows and my wrists especially are really working, haha...

Downsides? Umm the upper arms are a tiny bit loose but there's room to grow..... and the bottom of the zipper is plastic? That wraps that section up. ;)

One final thought on the jacket ----- BACK/SHOULDER GUSSETS ----- I'm so glad I have these. Especially with a snug fit, these things are a savior. The biggest downside to my Schott 654 (well plus the fact the thing didn't mold to me whatsoever and I don't think the finish quality was on par with this Vanson) - was the lack of back gussets.

I (stubbornly) drive a manual BMW M3 around in LA traffic, and the Schott I had to take off before I hopped in the car because I couldn't move around comfortably. This Vanson I can have full mobility and I feel like I'm wearing an armored battle suit driving... as well as walking around (I do not ride a motorcycle, but surely this thing is a beast for that, like it has been designed for).

All around A+++ purchase. I'm so happy.

Again big thanks to Carrie for answering my 832 questions, promptly, with what I imagine as a smile on her face doing so. Enough typing, on to the picture dump and then to go outside in this freezing 54 degree weather with this thing on while it lasts!

front 2 by B1LF, on Flickr

leather by B1LF, on Flickr

hand pocket 1 by B1LF, on Flickr

chest pocket and zipper by B1LF, on Flickr

sleeve end by B1LF, on Flickr

sleeve zipper and side buckle by B1LF, on Flickr

side buckle by B1LF, on Flickr

plastic zipper end? by B1LF, on Flickr

back by B1LF, on Flickr

vanson back by B1LF, on Flickr

shoulder by B1LF, on Flickr

shoulder 2 by B1LF, on Flickr

top by B1LF, on Flickr

Great write-up and photos! If you start your own thread, a lot more will see this...many only look at our thread if they're in the market for a jacket...

b1lf

One of the Regulars
Great write-up and photos! If you start your own thread, a lot more will see this...many only look at our thread if they're in the market for a jacket...

Yep, I just did. Thanks again for all of the help with this jacket.

Will the sleeves eventually break in enough where a watch can fit under easily? I guess it DOES fit now, but reading it is not very easy. Just curious...

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate

Will the sleeves eventually break in enough where a watch can fit under easily? I guess it DOES fit now, but reading it is not very easy. Just curious...

It was no problem!

The gusset on the sleeve will need to soften up with wear...that should do the trick. The sleeve opening will also get a little larger and become more flexible...

Cyber Lip

Practically Family

I'd recommend wearing your watch upside down so that watch is on the underside of your wrist. This will help

b1lf

One of the Regulars
I'd recommend wearing your watch upside down so that watch is on the underside of your wrist. This will help

Oofh, I've never worn any of my watches like that and I cringe when I see others doing so.

Do you recommend that purely because it's easier to read the watch when wearing the jacket? Or temporarily during the break in process?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Oofh, I've never worn any of my watches like that and I cringe when I see others doing so.

Do you recommend that purely because it's easier to read the watch when wearing the jacket? Or temporarily during the break in process?

Because it's a slimmer profile. If your sleeve is a tight fit with your watch on, it won't be as tight. And it's easier to pull the sleeve open to read the watch from the underside. It will also be better for the jacket as it will reduce the risk of the watch rubbing and wearing out the lining. No one can see your watch when your jacket is on. Trust me, just try it. If you don't like the look of a flipped watch, just flip the watch over during the times when you have your jacket off.

Last edited:

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Fantastic custom Aero 1930s Half Belt in Cordovan FQHH with Alpaca wool lining! This Colorado customer got his perfect fit using our Aero fit jacket process...if you'd like to get fitted for the 1930s Half Belt or any other Aero style, contact us at info@thurston-bros.com to reserve a fit jacket and start your order. You can read more about the fit process here--https://www.thurston-bros.com/pages/custom-aero

Aero 1930s Half Belt Cordovan FQHH alpaca wool lining.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Cordovan FQHH tag.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Cordovan FQHH chest pocket.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Cordovan FQHH cuff.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Cordovan FQHH back.jpg
Aero 1930s Half Belt Cordovan FQHH shoulder.jpg

b1lf

One of the Regulars
Because it's a slimmer profile. If your sleeve is a tight fit with your watch on, it won't be as tight. And it's easier to pull the sleeve open to read the watch from the underside. It will also be better for the jacket as it will reduce the risk of the watch rubbing and wearing out the lining. No one can see your watch when your jacket is on. Trust me, just try it. If you don't like the look of a flipped watch, just flip the watch over during the times when you have your jacket off.

I'll check it out, thanks for the tip.

IXL

One Too Many
b1If, I was told by Vanson that the plastic box, located at the bottom of the main zipper, was a more costly version of the zipper they use, and was sourced as such because it reduces the chance of inadvertently scratching the gas tank of a motorcycle. They also told me that in the unlikely event that the box ever went south, they would replace it (or the whole zipper, if needed) for me. I've worn my Insurrection/Thurston-supplied Model B for some years now, both on and off the bike, and have completely forgotten about the box being plastic.

The cuffs will eventually soften at the wrists, but rather than fight the leather with my rather lining-shredding watch, I decided to just remove it and drop it into the outside chest pocket. In the beginning it was a bit difficult to force my hand all the way up to that pocket, though, and the pocket itself was difficult; these jackets start out very STIFF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner