Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Tacs

tbrunke

Familiar Face
A few years back I bought a vintage cufflink set (that was never used) with the original box; It also came with a matching tie tac. My question for all you astute FL'ers is how do you use the tie tac?

Thanks all!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
tbrunke said:
A few years back I bought a vintage cufflink set (that was never used) with the original box; It also came with a matching tie tac. My question for all you astute FL'ers is how do you use the tie tac?

Thanks all!

OK...I'll bite. What, exactly, is it that you want to know? The quick answer is...you put the little pin through your tie at a height you think proportionate to both the tie and the closure of your jacket (if that's an issue) and then keep it there with the appropriately-named "keeper."

If there's more to the question, let us know....always happy to oblige! and welcome...

"Skeet"

tbrunke

Familiar Face
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]OK...I'll bite. What, exactly, is it that you want to know? The quick answer is...you put the little pin through your tie at a height you think proportionate to both the tie and the closure of your jacket (if that's an issue) and then keep it there with the appropriately-named "keeper."

If there's more to the question, let us know....always happy to oblige! and welcome...

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

That is what I wanted to know............ So essentially you are putting a hole in your tie.

Thanks Skeet

cco23i

A-List Customer
Does anybody know where I could get one of the tie bars that had the wearers name as it would be written and hung by a chain in front of the tie? I need one for my 1940's civilian impression.

Scott

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
tbrunke said:
That is what I wanted to know............ So essentially you are putting a hole in your tie.

Thanks Skeet

No problem, and again: welcome! For what it's worth...I've never had any difficulty with the holes...all my ties have been quite forgiving. Frankly, I've been more worried about some of my shirts...but again, a wash and a starch later...and you'd never know. I wouldn't want to say you couldn't do damage...but in several decades, somehow or other, I've managed to avoid it!

"Skeet"

sfend002

Familiar Face
Just got a very nice ties from Brooks Brothers, can't imagine putting a hole in it!

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
There is a scene in the 1963 movie "Charade" starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn in which Grant takes off his tie tack, unravels a threat from his sock, and uses the tack and string to trip Audrey's hotel room door to see if she leaves or not. It is the only time I can remember seeing Grant wear a tie tack so was probably plot-driven as opposed to sartorially-driven. Useless tie tack trivia for the day......

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd rather put a hole in my tie than have it flop into something messy on the surface (table, desk, bar) I'm leaning over. I use a tie tack, tie chain or tie clip and haven't had a problem with a hole in the tie, although it's true I don't wear a tie every day. My cufflinks don't always even match, either.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BegintheBeguine said:
I use a tie tack, tie chain or tie clip and haven't had a problem with a hole in the tie
A lot depends on the material. I have/had ties so delicate they can be snagged by even a well manicured fingernail while tying.

I prefer a stealth mode to keep my tie in place.

Shoes234.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
A lot depends on the material. I have/had ties so delicate they can be snagged by even a well manicured fingernail while tying.

I prefer a stealth mode to keep my tie in place.

Shoes234.jpg

And that is one clever thought...Original concept? I've learned something today: thanks!
"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo