Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tiki Culture

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have landed safely in Hawaii. Travel involved getting tested twice in three days. I think we timed it perfectly, as I fear that things may get more restricted again in a few weeks. Visited the tiki bar across the street already with my wife’s sister and her hubby. Living in Aloha shirts; wear lava lavas around the condo. Listening to the local Hawaiian music radio station (KINE 105). Walked to the beach three times in five days. I’m trying to squint hard to maintain the tiki illusion, even as there are a thousand practicalities to attend to. Aloha!

Tiki Tom

Married into a windward family. Mother in law lives in Kaneohe. We are one town over, in Kailua. Very green and rainy; a shower or two every day, but it’s warm and intermittently sunny. Feral chickens in every parking lot. Wake up to the sound of roosters. Mostly life is lived in shorts and t-shirts. Went out the other day in my wide-brimmed fawn colored fedora (good sun protection). No one raised an eyebrow. There is an antique shop/second hand store about a block away that sells vintage Aloha shirts, old tiki carvings, etc. Can’t wait to take a look. I wonder when it will sink in that I live here now. How’s the summer going in Chicago?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I wonder when it will sink in that I live here now. How’s the summer going in Chicago?

Hot. 91* dry wind out of the west. Saw a surfer along Lake Shore Drive the other day.
He was trying to catch a wave across a placid Lake Michigan. Long way from Kanoher Beach.:(

Hats Matter

One of the Regulars
I have done a fair amount of travel in my life and among the places I have visited is French Polynesia. Many people refer to it as Tahiti but this is just one of the Society Islands. Other well known islands include Moorea and Bora Bora. My avatar is a phote I shot from a motu (small island) showing the channel between Raiatea and Taha'a. Anyway.........as I write this post I am looking at a Tiki I purchased in Papeete that was carved in the Marquesas. I also have a wooden carving of a sting ray that was also carved in the Marquesas that I purchased at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. When I get a chance I will post a photo.

Hats Matter

One of the Regulars
As promised here is a photo of the Tiki I purchased in Papeete. This shows the front and rear view of the carving.

IMG_E1484 (2).JPG IMG_1487 (2).JPG

clementishutin

Familiar Face
The interest with what would become known as tiki culture in the United States dates back more than a century. While Don the Beachcomber's island-themed design was a fantastic fit for the economically distressed era, the movement may not have taken off if it hadn't been such a perfect fit for the era.

So just recently returned from my first visit to Hawaii. A couple of observations:

1. The mai tais were pretty disappointing. Mostly made with orange/pineapple/guava or whatever sweet syrupy juice they could find. But I guess that’s what the majority of tourists expect.

2. Food was really good.

3. Jeff Spicoli was right: surfing is not a sport, it’s a way of life.

4. I was surprised by the lack of nightlife, even in places like Waikiki. They pretty much roll up the streets at 8:00-9:00. Perhaps some of that is pandemic related, but it seems to be very much a daytime culture; when the sun’s up, you’re doing your thing. You show up to the beach at 7:00am, you’re an hour late. As an early-morning person, I can appreciate that, but it was surprising to me.

6. Landing on the Big Island was like landing on Mars. I was seriously getting my geology nerd on.

I understand why people want to live there.

Tiki Tom

Top 20 Tiki Bars in the U.S.
A useful list… but in Honolulu, I’d ditch the Mai Tai Bar and replace it with the La Mariana Sailing Club which dates from 1957 and is much more authentic (and I think the location is better too.)
I have heard positive reviews about the Undertow in Phoenix.

https://www.tastingtable.com/1024620/the-best-tiki-bars-in-the-us/

I‘m kinda cracking up because, the other day, somebody was wondering how Tiki Bars avoided being “cancelled“ for cultural appropriation. Made me smile. Tiki Bars (if done right) are a fantasy world. I go to Tiki Bars specifically to escape such nonsense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk