Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To bob or not to bob?

Inky

One Too Many
ricki said:
Thanks for the link Inky. I'm about to go bob my hair to escape this summer heat.

Hey there Ricki! I didn't know you were on here - I absolutely love your blog! There have been MANY times I've referred to sets and styles from it for myself. Thank you for taking the time to find, scan and post those great images/articles. They are priceless!

ricki

Familiar Face
Inky said:
Hey there Ricki! I didn't know you were on here - I absolutely love your blog! There have been MANY times I've referred to sets and styles from it for myself. Thank you for taking the time to find, scan and post those great images/articles. They are priceless!

Thanks Inky. Mostly I'm just a lurker. After I started collecting the magazines it only made sense to share them with everyone else. And speaking of bobs, here is one of my favorites on Irene Castle's bob.

I just came back from the hairdresser with a bob of my own. It feels so light, I love it. I'm looking to Lauren's curls for inspiration. I might try something similar later in the week.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Wow, your blog is AWESOME. I'm definately adding you to my favorites :)
Thanks so much again, ladies :) It's nearly a week later and I'm still loving it. I agree with Ricki, it does feel light and really freeing!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lauren, extremely flattering on you! Looks like it gives your hair great texture and volume too. Aren't bobs the best?

Aorta

Familiar Face
Ladies, I need your help.

I cut my hair off Friday and so far, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. It went from this rather frizzy mess:

To this chin-length bob (it's slightly layered at the ends... well, not really layered, rather rounded):

Now I'm wondering: What would be the best curling method? I don't like curling irons (too damaging for my baby-fine spaghetti), but I'm willing to try other methods. I also have a drying hood. What kind of curlers should I choose and which diameter? I was already thinking about sponge rollers or those bendy foam sticks. As you can see, I'm totally clueless and any help is really appreciated.

Mary

Practically Family
It looks really good. How is it rounded? I really curious and your hair is dark so I can't tell.

As for curling, start experimenting with what you have got. What do you want to achieve?

Aorta said:
To this chin-length bob (it's slightly layered at the ends... well, not really layered, rather rounded):

QUOTE]

Aorta

Familiar Face
Okay, I'm not good at describing, but I try: The tips are cut at a certain angle (about 45°) so the cut isn't so blunt and the ends aren't all-one-length. If I blowdry it, the result is this "rounded" shape.

What I'm looking for: I don't have a picture at hand (will look for one), but basically, I'd like to have a mixture between a fingerwaved 20's bob at the crown and a more curly result at the ends.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Like this??
fingerwaving5.jpg

Click this link for more info on that hair style>>>>http://beautyisathingofthepast.blogspot.com/search/label/1930's

Aorta

Familiar Face
Yes, like texasgirl's avatar (although I think, my version would be shorter). Ladies, you're brilliant!

texasgirl, would you mind showing your hair in its natural state? If I remember correctly, you use some special vintage clips for the fingerwaved part, right? What would you suggest as a substitute for them? What does your setting pattern look like and which rollers do you use? Sorry, but I'm really curious.

Shirin, I'm not very talented when it comes to hair and fingerwaves are really hard to do, if you don't have help. But maybe I can achieve a similar look with rollers (and perhaps some pin curls at the crown). I pin-curled my whole hair once with rows in reverse directions (I liked the result a lot, but ouch, my poor arms!).

texasgirl

One Too Many
Aorta- here's my hair when it's not curled. Excuse the no-smile- I had taken these for my SIL to take to her hair stylist :)

IMG_1567.jpg
IMG_1571.jpg

I'd think you could do the fingerwaves the regular way. I have a hard time doing them to myself, but I can do them on others. Maybe have a friend help?

The sides and back, I just used sponge rollers, the smallest ones, about 1/2 inch

Aorta

Familiar Face
Thank you so much! You look beautiful, no matter if you smile or not (such a perfect complexion and I like your haircolour with the highlights). You have a nice cut, it also looks perfectly fine, when it's not curled.

I'll try to set my hair without the fingerwaves (since there's really no one around to help). I've already ordered sponge rollers and can't wait to try them out.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Whenever I get a bob, I simply love it, it's my favorite hairstyle. But the thing with a bob is that it's high maintenance. I have to get it cut every month if I want to keep it sharp. When it grows out, I think it goes through some very annoying stages where it looks really bad. So with a bob, it's really either or, at least with my poker straight hair. Either I get a cut every month or end up with some pretty bland, boring hair. And knowing myself, I don't go to the hairdressers once a month (too expensive).

Maybe this would be different if you have wavy or curly hair like Lauren's, or if you get a softer type of bob. Mine have always been those razor sharp 20's ones.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Aw, thanks Aorta! I have it shorter and choppier now for summer. I only curl it when I do vintage a few times a year. Also, one other thing I forgot to mention. I have a tiny little curling iron I use to fix all the little stray areas. It's only about 1/4" maybe 3/8". I got it at a beauty supply store, and it works great too.

Aorta

Familiar Face
@ texasgirl: I also own a curling iron (with interchangeable irons in different sizes), I don't use it very often because it's quite damaging for my fine hair, but I'll keep your tip in mind for special occasions, thank you!

@ Laura Chase: I totally understand you, the bob is really a high maintenance cut. I have to visit my hairdresser every six weeks and yes, that hurts in terms of money, especially as a student. But on the other hand, I'm not good at handling long hair and I just love my new-old short look, so: "Non, je ne regrette rien".

Kaisha

New in Town
I always go for a razor sharp bob which can be very high maintenance with my curly hair, with straightening it every day (really though, it only takes me a few minutes after the first time until my next shower).

However on the plus side I find when it grows out the curliness allows me to skip some of the ugly stages- the curls hide any awkwardness!

Also in the 'constant haircuts' bit of it, I have a hairdresser for a mother, and she cuts the back and crops the hair under the shelf, and I've cut my own bangs since I was about 12 so I'm pretty adept at getting them perfectly straight (eventually!). So it ends up, for me, being a financially light cut.

SayCici

Practically Family
Lauren, did you take an image to your stylist from your repro 30s hairstyle book? I've been growing my hair out to a bob and I want it to look like yours! Still got lots of layers to grow out though.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Cici, have you tried doing finger waves yet? I still have lots of layers to grow out. I find that the finger waves really hide the layers since it;s a style that is molded to the head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy