Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To wax or not to wax ????

I<3Tiki

New in Town
Personally, I'm a fan of Veet or Nair for the bikini area but I have to leave it on for about 10-15 minutes (even though I think you're only supposed to leave it on for 4 - 6 min). I have burned myself quite a few times in the past, too, but I think I may have built up a tolerance to it as it hasn't happened in quite some time now. May be the Veet vs. the Nair, though, too, as I had switched to Veet a while back because I liked the pump bottle better - not sure. I also generally just apply something with salicylic acid afterwards to ward off bumps & it works pretty good - not 100% all of the time, but pretty good. For the legs & underarms, it's a razor (but it has to be the ones with the guardwires). Unless I haven't shaved my legs in a while - then I use the Veet on them too because I always miss some spots & my hair is fine, so I don't see them until I'm dry. Also use the Veet on my knees sometimes because they are hard to get with the razor too.

MissHannah

One Too Many
This thread just makes me feel really sad for all of us, y'know?

I have a pretty expensive Braun epilator that cost about £60. To do one lower leg thoroughly would take around 45 minutes and it would never feel smooth at the end of that - there would still be fine hairs left - then it would start growing back within a couple of days. I actually just use it to do a quick sweep every now and then as it does make the hair grow back finer and reduce growth a bit - I shave the rest of the time. I have had cheaper epilators that were worse than the pricey ones but it isn't an extreme difference and none of them have ever done what they claim to do, ie. remove all hairs for smooth legs that last 4 weeks.

I have a fairly average amount of leg hair which is dark-ish and coarse-ish but not particularly extreme I wouldn't have said. My expectations for home hair removal are low - I think I have tried everything and the results are never what I want. Depilatory creams leave stubble and/or give me a rash, shaving only lasts a day, waxing/sugaring misses loads of hairs and is messy as all hell, epilating hurts and doesn't give me smooth legs/bikini/pits and those sandpaper mitt things do literally nothing. So that's every option I've tried in my 37 years and none of them work. Depressing huh?!

Smuterella

One Too Many
hell yeah, its depressing. The pain of all this...

I've cut myself shaving, bruised myself with waxing, burned myself somewhere desperately private with depilatory cream, nipped myself somewhere even more unmentionable with an epilator and generally hate it all.

Still, preferred methods are depilatory cream on the nether regions and shaving everywhere else.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
My sister (who's a bit odd.. but lovely) gave me a photo of her underarm for my birthday....she'd stoped shaving for a few months and it looked like a little furry animal nested there. Maybe we should all take leaf out of her book...or maybe not.

annet

One of the Regulars
i shave, since that's all my skin can take (i used to try waxing and could only do it on my lower legs, anywhere else made me bleed, and over the years my skin got so sensitive i just can't handle it)

it's always a good idea to invest in a good razor. they are pricy but work ten times better. i use this venus embrace thing and i'm never going back to the cheapies!

thank god the hair on my arms is light, so i don't worry about that. i shave my legs, pits and bikini line every two days and i'm good to go!

Drappa

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
This thread just makes me feel really sad for all of us, y'know?

I have a pretty expensive Braun epilator that cost about £60. To do one lower leg thoroughly would take around 45 minutes and it would never feel smooth at the end of that - there would still be fine hairs left - then it would start growing back within a couple of days. I actually just use it to do a quick sweep every now and then as it does make the hair grow back finer and reduce growth a bit - I shave the rest of the time. I have had cheaper epilators that were worse than the pricey ones but it isn't an extreme difference and none of them have ever done what they claim to do, ie. remove all hairs for smooth legs that last 4 weeks.

I have a fairly average amount of leg hair which is dark-ish and coarse-ish but not particularly extreme I wouldn't have said. My expectations for home hair removal are low - I think I have tried everything and the results are never what I want. Depilatory creams leave stubble and/or give me a rash, shaving only lasts a day, waxing/sugaring misses loads of hairs and is messy as all hell, epilating hurts and doesn't give me smooth legs/bikini/pits and those sandpaper mitt things do literally nothing. So that's every option I've tried in my 37 years and none of them work. Depressing huh?![/QUOTE

I totally agree with you. I have had various epilators (btw, they seem to go down in price every year, my first one was CDN$170, now I see them for under £20) and it never lasts even a week. I shave in between, but it's all annoying, chemical, or painful.
I do feel bad for my hubby as well, he gets terrible rashes from shaving every day, no matter if it's wet or dry, and his job doesn't allow him any beards other than moustaches. So I am a bit thankful that I can hide body hair under clothes in the winter and don't have to shave my face as well.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
"My sister (who's a bit odd.. but lovely) gave me a photo of her underarm for my birthday....she'd stoped shaving for a few months and it looked like a little furry animal nested there. Maybe we should all take leaf out of her book...or maybe not."

I love that! You've given me an idea for my husband's birthday!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy