Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Todays crooner#1

GOK

One Too Many
Brian Sheridan said:
Harry Connick Jr has a new Cd coming out at the end of this month. It's a tribute to New Orleans and sounds to be pretty heartfelt. Also met him a few times when he was starting out and he was in total awe and fear of Sinatra. Harry's father (the former N.O. D.A.) is also a crooner in more of the non-jazz mold.

BRS

He named his pumpkin after me at the Halloween gig of his I went to! lol

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Let me offer another great but unknown singer - Justin Hayford. He has 2 Cd's out and his third one, soon to be released, is comprised of unknown Cole Porter tunes. He croons and plays the piano as dry as the olive in a perfect martini. You can get his stuff on ebay or Itunes. He is on the LML label.

BRS

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LadyStardust said:
As for my own suggestion, I'll put up Max Raabe. He's more 30's style, and I can see how he might put people off, but I think he's great.
http://www.palastorchester.de/index2.php
He is "a" 30s style. He puts me off for other reasons. Most 20s/30s revival singers sound either like campy club kids or clammy history nerds. Raabe definitely goes in Category A. But I love the tone quality of the recording.

Just one thing. "Sexbomb"? Mess with Tom Jones and you mess with me, fella...:mad:

GOK

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
:eek:fftopic:
My roommate's and my pumpkin was named Thurston Howell Puppy the Third.

That's just showing off!! lol

Gosh, I just realised - why are we not adding the wonderful Fletch to this list? We should! :D

Travis

Suspended
Brian Sheridan said:
Check out a guy from Buffalo, NY named Michael Civisca. I have all of his CD's and have seen him perform several times with our local big band. He can really swing! Nice guy too.

His site is: www.michaelcivisca.com You can hear some of his tracks on it.

BRS

I agree with what others are saying, this is absolutely fabulous. Thanks for the tip!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Brian Sheridan said:
Check out a guy from Buffalo, NY named Michael Civisca. I have all of his CD's and have seen him perform several times with our local big band. He can really swing! Nice guy too.

His site is: www.michaelcivisca.com You can hear some of his tracks on it.

BRS

Ooh, thank you so much for sharing this link!! I likey!!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Man! is that guy good.

No pretension whatever - just a nice clear voice, taste and chops. In an age when you either have to be a Sinatra clone or a cabaret emoter, he's a real fresh kick. I'm getting that record.

Rafter

Suspended
I have four choices for today's top "crooners"-

Monte Procopio
, swings the standards following the footsteps of the "rat pack".
More Dean than Frank though, especially so in his renditions of "When I Fall In Love" and "One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)"....give a listen!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B0001D36TS/104-6388652-2175941?volume=6#

Jaimie Cullum, is the most unique of this trio.
The first word to use to describe Jamie is "real."
The second word is "original." ....
.....you won't find another wannabe Sinatra clone here. Jamie, attacks each song in a fresh, new way and is home with material as diverse as "Too Close For Comfort" and Radiohead's "High and Dry". When he does a standard, he makes the song his own: you DON'T find yourself thinking about other, classic performances of the song, as you might very naturally sometimes with other singers.
104-6388652-2175941

John Pizzarelli, is an exceedingly gifted vocalist, guitarist and bandleader that delivers standards with a crackling swing!...and the son of the jazz legend Bucky Pizzarelli!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/...4-6388652-2175941?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

Jonathan Poretz, is an impressive new vocalist whose singing style sometimes recalls Mel Tormé (particularly on up-tempo material) but is fresh and original within the voacl jazz genre. This guy swings and he shows versatility on high-quality standards.
http://www.jonathanporetz.com/music.html

BORNTOOLATE

New in Town
Don't forget the incredible Johnny Mathis. He sounds just as good today as he sounded in 1958. I've seen him in concert 4 times and I'm ready for more. I'm glad my wife and I was able to see Ray Charles before his passing. I wish I could have seen Nat King Cole, but I was "BORNTOOLATE".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21