Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tokyo jacket by Field Leathers

F Man

New in Town
All design queues are from Japanese leather jacket makers - hence the name. I think Greg did a fantastic job - design wise. I had way too many requests and he accommodated all of those except for one - and that was due to miscommunication (not his fault). I wanted to have the sleeve with those metal studs and the slanted stitching right above the studs. Now Greg asked me whether I want a 3-part or 2-part sleeve. I said I want a 2-part sleeve because the the small piece of leather (underarm) looks hideous to me. But I wanted that 3rd part at the cuff region like the togs leather jacket D pocket. I didn’t make it clear to him, when I answered his question. So now I have the studs (it took him nearly 5 months to source it) at the sleeve but not the slanted stitching at the cuff region.

Apart from that,I think the design was really good.

This is a teacore shinki. My request was smoothest and shiniest leather possible. Shoulder is 17.5 and back length is 23.5 inches. This is definitely a size 38 jacket. Greg - perhaps erroneously has put a size 40 tag.

P2P is 20.5 inches and hemline is 18. I have a feeling that a 4 inch drop (18.5 inches) instead of 5 inch drop (18 inches) would have been better. What do you guys think? Is it a bit too tight?

Backside is designed really well but one complain I have is the leather in the shoulder region does not sit smoothly. I mean when you move - it creates bulge. Is it because the leather is brand new and will settle down in time?

Overall- I think Greg did a fantastic job and he is a top bloke. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• 1CCA97FD-8FD5-41A6-BA6E-CB10A7DD1805.jpeg
    1CCA97FD-8FD5-41A6-BA6E-CB10A7DD1805.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 522
  • E9D77652-8475-46CF-8D34-178681E022A6.jpeg
    E9D77652-8475-46CF-8D34-178681E022A6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 502
  • 25098B63-B666-45D2-AFDF-BB13B4CD1662.jpeg
    25098B63-B666-45D2-AFDF-BB13B4CD1662.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 518
  • E76DD4F1-C2AF-4783-B982-9C1141547163.jpeg
    E76DD4F1-C2AF-4783-B982-9C1141547163.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 513
  • 8C27B8DD-B96E-41BA-AB35-550387E0FF95.jpeg
    8C27B8DD-B96E-41BA-AB35-550387E0FF95.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 534
  • 47A824A8-3248-48F5-A694-0A7224B14DCD.jpeg
    47A824A8-3248-48F5-A694-0A7224B14DCD.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 523
  • 8AC1CC97-5818-412B-B675-07733B4215DF.jpeg
    8AC1CC97-5818-412B-B675-07733B4215DF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 509
  • 8536A60E-6BA0-4DC8-B722-B43509332745.jpeg
    8536A60E-6BA0-4DC8-B722-B43509332745.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 557

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
All design queues are from Japanese leather jacket makers - hence the name. I think Greg did a fantastic job - design wise. I had way too many requests and he accommodated all of those except for one - and that was due to miscommunication (not his fault). I wanted to have the sleeve with those metal studs and the slanted stitching right above the studs. Now Greg asked me whether I want a 3-part or 2-part sleeve. I said I want a 2-part sleeve because the the small piece of leather (underarm) looks hideous to me. But I wanted that 3rd part at the cuff region like the togs leather jacket D pocket. I didn’t make it clear to him, when I answered his question. So now I have the studs (it took him nearly 5 months to source it) at the sleeve but not the slanted stitching at the cuff region.

This is a teacore shinki. My request was smoothest and shiniest leather possible. Shoulder is 17.5 and back length is 23.5 inches. This is definitely a size 38 jacket. Greg - perhaps erroneously has put a size 40 tag.

P2P is 20.5 inches and hemline is 18. I have a feeling that a 4 inch drop (18.5 inches) instead of 5 inch drop (18 inches) would have been better. What do you guys think? Is it a bit too tight?

Backside is designed really well but one complain I have is the leather in the shoulder region does not sit smoothly. I mean when you move - it creates bulge. Is it because the leather is brand new and will settle down in time?

Overall- I think Greg did a fantastic job and he is a top bloke. Highly recommended.

Welcome to the lounge! Thanks for sharing your beautiful FL jacket here. Love this, all the details add up for a special jacket! The jacket looks great open or zipped up. Congratulations.

We have a pretty similar build, all of your jacket measurements are exactly the same for me. So I think you nailed it, it's a very trim fit and it suits you very well and it's not tight at all. It will get better with wear.

I think the shoulder bulge you are mentioning is because the shoulders are a little small, if you went with an 18" shoulder width that notch would not be there. The reason why I say this is because I requested my first FL jacket to be at 17" (my 2nd jacket is 17.5" shoulder width and that's perfect for me) and that had the same effect because it was too small, it will relax/stretch over time so I would not worry about it too much. Just wear it and don't worry too much.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

I was watching this project on field leathers' instagram and I was wondering who made all these super cool design choices. I think it looks great, love everything about it. I saved the pics as inspiration for one of my next FL projects.

I spotted the huge front drop as well and I think it's exactly what this jacket needs. Because of the sleeve rotation on these FL jackets, the front is lifted upwards. As shown here on @MrProper jacket but my FL has a lifted front as well.

8E324E8F-FCE7-4AD6-9FFC-633B890C248F.jpeg

As a result the bottom hem doesn't follow the natural curves of the body. Now have a look at yours:

D7214B46-08A4-4345-A980-0B8B118F79C7.jpeg

It's perfect, right? Great design choice. I was going for a 2.5" front drop for my next FL project but now that I see yours, I realize I might even need more.

Anyway welcome to TFL and congrats on a fantastic looking jacket.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Love the design of the jacket overall. I would agree with what has already been said that the shoulder bulge is due to the shoulders being a little too small.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not the expert ... the shoulders don't look too tight for me. My guess is the forward-facing rotation of the sleeves.
I think you can recognize this by the slight tension above the chest.
If the arms are stretched forward a little and it's gone or less then it will be because of that

Mich486

One Too Many
Very nice jacket and love details! He should make this a regular model.

The fit is not bad to look at but from the pictures my main concern would be the overall comfort. Others have commented already on the shoulders, my other concern would be the bottom opening. Seems tight from the front.

Roll2me

Familiar Face
Below neck bunching imo is due to the shoulder slope of the jacket is more while your shoulder is more flat. Have you check that you have flat shoulder?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I was watching this project on field leathers' instagram and I was wondering who made all these super cool design choices. I think it looks great, love everything about it. I saved the pics as inspiration for one of my next FL projects.

I spotted the huge front drop as well and I think it's exactly what this jacket needs. Because of the sleeve rotation on these FL jackets, the front is lifted upwards. As shown here on @MrProper jacket but my FL has a lifted front as well.

View attachment 329962

As a result the bottom hem doesn't follow the natural curves of the body. Now have a look at yours:

View attachment 329963

It's perfect, right? Great design choice. I was going for a 2.5" front drop for my next FL project but now that I see yours, I realize I might even need more.

Its the other way, if the sleeve is pitched forward, when your arm down on your side the front would press tighter against your front torso and the front hem turning down and the back of the collar hit the back of your neck if not spec with more space there. With mr Proper's since he rows canoe alot probably the front is lifted up since the pecs muscle fill up the upper front, probably normal joes with flatter chest wont have that effect.

I think the shoulder is just a bit too narrow, since FL is making their sleeve really vertical down not spreading at all, shoulder width is more important just like suit jacket, but i think it looks fine on you, its Ok to have creases on leather jacket imo, congrats!

Last edited:

sweetfights

View attachment 329962

View attachment 329963

Superlative breakdown of the issue. So well illustrated. Never even considered sleeve rotation and the resulting effect.
Bravo and thank you.

sweetfights

Great fit. What a win!!! Notice how the shoulder bulge disappears when the jacket is not zipped? Perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider