Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Dress Shoes?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm afraid it only goes up from there, and you pretty much have to go English. You can try Brooks Brothers Peal line of English made shoes (relatively reasonable on sale), also Crockett & Jones (make of some of the Brooks Peal; some have had good success ordering C&Js from Plal on discount), Paul Stuart's Grensons, Edward Green, John Lobb Paris and the new Gaziano & Girling. Ferragamo's Tramezzas are very well thought in readily available Italian shoes. Also Martegani and Gravati, although they tend to be bit overstated for my tastes.

Well made French shoes include Paraboot (relatively inexpensive) and Weston (not relatively inexpensive). Carmina of Spain makes a nice shoe; they do a lot in shell cordovan. Try Sky Valet's site for some of the above.

Some retailers like Leather Soul Hawaii offer some beautiful special design Aldens, like these in shell cordovan:

boots.jpg

The Deacon

New in Town
I'm afraid it only goes up from there, and you pretty much have to go English. You can try Brooks Brothers Peal line of English made shoes (relatively reasonable on sale), also Crockett & Jones (make of some of the Brooks Peal; some have had good success ordering C&Js from Plal on discount), Paul Stuart's Grensons, Edward Green, John Lobb Paris and the new Gaziano & Girling. Ferragamo's Tramezzas are very well thought in readily available Italian shoes. Also Martegani and Gravati, although they tend to be bit overstated for my tastes.

Well made French shoes include Paraboot (relatively inexpensive) and Weston (not relatively inexpensive). Carmina of Spain makes a nice shoe; they do a lot in shell cordovan. Try Sky Valet's site for some of the above.

Some retailers like Leather Soul Hawaii offer some beautiful special design Aldens, like these in shell cordovan:

boots.jpg

Bally Scribe ain't bad.

I recall that there was a number of regular lines of shoes that were much better in the past than now. If you can find vintage Florsheim and Bostonians they were once made as very fine shoes try a look on Ebay. In the mid seventies I bought a pair of Black dress Florsheim shoes for Prom night that were all leather except the heel and I had them re-heeled and resoled twice, they lasted a long time.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
That is all you need to know Bob ....in Alan's comment....Brooks stuff from Sargent's in the UK is also good...though not C&J quality. I suspect though that Brooks ups the specs on their UK shoes from the usual quality. If you want to use UK shoes buy them from pediwear.co.uk as the exchange is more favourable thete is not VAT for overseas buyers and often free postage to the USA also. This is available from Bodileys under the same deal http://www.shoesnorthampton.co.uk/ You could add Loakes 1880 line to AlanC's list as well.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
No mention of Dinckelacker, Vass, St. Crispins, Lattanzi, Berluti, Santoni, etc......

WH1

Practically Family
I recall that there was a number of regular lines of shoes that were much better in the past than now. If you can find vintage Florsheim and Bostonians they were once made as very fine shoes try a look on Ebay. In the mid seventies I bought a pair of Black dress Florsheim shoes for Prom night that were all leather except the heel and I had them re-heeled and resoled twice, they lasted a long time.

Johnston & Murphy used to be a great American shoe manufacturer.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Back 30, 40 years ago many department store brands rivaled even AE or Alden today. I have a pair of brown JC Penny Longwings and they are, by far, some of the most well constructed shoes I have ever owned and comfy too.
For saddle shoes and the like I have a modern pair of Bass that work just fine, and I would bet for the same thing Cole Haan is fine too. Honestly, AE is the best bang for the buck, especially with their seconds sales.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bob, I have always appreciated Florsheim and Bostonian, but like John in Covina pointed out, they're hit and miss.

Unfortunately, both companies, along with many other American brands, decided to build towards "value" instead of quality. Price points usually range from $80-300, but quality typically ranges from B- to D.

I have a pair of cordovan Florsheim wingtips that are absolutely beautiful and have lasted 7 years of rough wear rather gracefully (I have big, dumb feet that are quite abusive on shoes). I also own a pair of Cole Haan oxfords that could have been better for their $150 price tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran