Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Touch up with iron?

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the assumption that there are no stupid questions: My Borsalino sometimes get a little ripple or wave in the brim. Recently I discovered that with a low heat iron I can make it smooth/flat again. Before I continue such behavior, I thought I'd check with the experts. Is this a no-no for rabbit fur felt? Many thanks and have a nice weekend.

tommyK

One Too Many
It helps to have a flange to iron against, to get the shape. Unless you're going for flat that is. I don't dampen the cloth like DOGMAN but it doesn't sound like a bad idea. I set the heat pretty high as well.

it's how I get from this;
7e9a7a5d-4b3c-4983-8463-ea636d3d2030_zpst7d3kvki.jpg
to this;
1bd670d0-2556-4cb7-9507-df376db0095e_zpszd8j7jup.jpg

In this context, what can be used as a flange?

I'd recommend a flange. Unless you wish a flat brim.

A brim can be coaxed by hand into a "flanged" shape, but a flange makes it a helluva lot easier, and the results will likely be more satisfactory.

I'm of the view that flanges are quite undervalued, in relation to blocks, anyway. I have at least a couple of hundred flanges now, and I wouldn't mind having more, because I often find myself wishing I had a particular flange in a slightly wider width or slightly smaller (or larger) size or ...

tommyK

One Too Many
+1 what Tony said. You'll need one in the size and brim width that you need. Sometimes you can "fudge" a little with a slightly bigger one

Flanges;
8f6de392-3a8c-43f1-b26a-1e8ceca3b885_zpszhxevhos.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
Thank You, Roger. Usually the more extreme the condition the more satisfaction one feels in the rehab. I do spend more time on crowns than brims but many old hats need a little of both.
bf8a75f5-020c-4fe1-8186-d3a288694116_zpsbrb6bf5i.jpg

Another caveat ...

A hot iron can do considerable damage in a blink. If you are flanging on a, well, flange, you will be ironing the underside of the brim. Keep in mind that the iron can easily melt a reed tape, and it can really mess up a ribbon edge binding. So, don't iron the reed tape! And, make damn sure the iron never makes direct contact with ribbon. Make certain the press cloth completely covers it.

If you are blocking a hat without disassembling it, and are giving the crown a quick touch up with the iron, make sure the edge of that iron never touches anything but air. You can ruin the ribbon quite easily, and you can leave hard-to-remove grooves in the brim by allowing the edge of the iron to make contact with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran