Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tourist cabins, auto and motor courts

..."Emmett Breen was the owner of the Red Crown at the time that the Barrow Gang had graced his establishment with their presence. E.J. Breen obtained several items from the cabins rented by Bonnie and Clyde and had passed down a couple of those items to Bridget, that the Platte County sheriff's department let him keep. Among these items were a hypodermic syringe, two syringe needles, a vial labeled "Atropine Sulphate”, and a vial labeled "20 hypodermic tablets - morphine sulphate."
Approximately one month before they arrived at the Red Crown Tourist Court, Bonnie had suffered third-degree burns to her right leg when Clyde missed some warning signs at a bridge that was under construction and flipped their car into a ravine. They clearly weren't in a position to seek proper medical care for her, so the injury left her crippled for the rest of her life. The Atropine Sulphate and Morphine Sulphate were reportedly used by the "gang" in an effort to treat her injury and minimize her pain. In fact, it was the druggist who sold the medications to Clyde Barrow that alerted Sheriff Holt Coffey to their presence.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
That 1939 bridge has been replaced...again, with a new one just to the west. There's a marker there for that B&C event, too, although it's on the wrong (north) side of the Red River, and not really near the spot where Clyde drove into the river off the washed out bridge.

If you use the historical option in Google Earth and go back to the 90's and mid-2000s, you can see the "new" 1939 bridge that replaced the one where Clyde drove over the bank in 1933.

CollingsworthCntyTxBonnieAndClydeBridge1208BG5.jpg

Newest bridge on the left; 1939 bridge on the right (this is the side Clyde drove off of)...it is now completely gone.

Rob

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Approximately one month before they arrived at the Red Crown Tourist Court, Bonnie had suffered third-degree burns to her right leg when Clyde missed some warning signs at a bridge that was under construction and flipped their car into a ravine. They clearly weren't in a position to seek proper medical care for her, so the injury left her crippled for the rest of her life. The Atropine Sulphate and Morphine Sulphate were reportedly used by the "gang" in an effort to treat her injury and minimize her pain. In fact, it was the druggist who sold the medications to Clyde Barrow that alerted Sheriff Holt Coffey to their presence.

Barrow Gang's drug kit - containing the syringe and Atropine and Morphine Sulphate meds.
drug_kit.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 9.47.09 PM.png

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
These fascinate me. I don't think we've ever had a true equivalent in the UK (bearing in mind you can drive Britain end to end, more or less, in under 24 hours.... and the limits of Northern Ireland in under three), but they have something of a presence in my mind, thanks to Hollywood.

We did have a Motel in this style local to me here in the UK, you're right, though I have only seen a couple of others here in the UK over the years. I've been searching for images of the one I knew, unfortunately it ceased trading in the early 2000 and now is a small housing estate and thats all thats coming up in image searches. It was always quite run down looking as long as I remember but apparently was quite the place in the 60s and was certainly built in this style. The resturant became an after hours nightclub for a couple of years before it closed down so at least I got to see inside that.

That said in the last five or ten years most motorway service stations have added one or other of the budget hotel chains so there must be a market of sorts still out there.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Like a few other houses in the neighborhood, we had metal chairs like that. People would still sit on their front porches back then because no one had air conditioning. Only a few houses had a back porch like ours, which had four outside doors opening onto the back porch. The doorbell was also on the back porch on the outside and was very loud, probably so someone could hear it if they were working in the garden. There was also a swing on the front porch, which a lot of people had. We also had a "glider," as we called it, that matched the chairs. I might sit on the steps to the back porch to read the Sunday comics but nobody else did. One of our neighbors would sit on his back porch and play his electric guitar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner