Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traded car in for a Mini Cooper, what jacket to get as companion?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It’s cute when people talk about fast cars.

075d8e6346e392a544420a110506dd7a.jpg

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
The decision is I had to get a new phone instead as I broke mine. I was actually considering buying marmalademan's GW, though that doesnt match at all. In the meantime I think Handymike has the best proposition-some old cream/white deerskin jacket/coat that I can probanly nab for under $100.

But I like this convo a lot so keep it going guys. :)

Man, I say go for MMs GW. That leather is going to be phenomenal as it ages. That’s a lifetime jacket!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Well as I've been single for a while, I chatted it up with a barista at the Starbucks drive thru and told her she could name the car.

Jejupe

Practically Family
The Bugatti Veyron is indeed a cool car, cool price too. But Nick only has a Mini Cooper.
Nick if you fancy that Veyron here's some ideas that you could use to put your Mini to work and earn the million plus shekels that you need

That's an Audi, I think. Nice car but no Veyron.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You're right, I've just seen the four little circles on the wheel centres. Years ago my company car was a VW Passat, it went in for a service one day, and because I needed a car the service manager lent me his Audi. When I returned it that evening I commented that his car was almost identical to mine, I knew, off course, that Audi was part of the VW family. The service manager just smiled and said: "You see those four little circles on the grille? They cost a grand apiece."

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're right, I've just seen the four little circles on the wheel centres. Years ago my company car was a VW Passat, it went in for a service one day, and because I needed a car the service manager lent me his Audi. When I returned it that evening I commented that his car was almost identical to mine, I knew, off course, that Audi was part of the VW family. The service manager just smiled and said: "You see those four little circles on the grille? They cost a grand apiece."

Bugatti and Lamborghini are part of the same "family" of brands. The Audi R8 is a shared platform with the Lamborghini Huracan. There is no similar VW.

robrinay

One Too Many
I live in Sheffield which like Rome is said to have been built on seven hills. There’s a local witticism that you drive uphill to the shops park, shop and then walk uphill back to the car. Consequently having an automatic car is a bonus. We’ve got a BMW X1 with auto gearbox as the sensible car and a manual Fiat 500 Sport as a fun car. The Fiat reminds me of the Mini 1275GT (Clubman) I owned in the 80’s - it was the closest I got to owning an original 60’s Mini Clubman which were rare and expensive in good condition as the model was old and they were usually rusting to bits.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I live in Sheffield which like Rome is said to have been built on seven hills. There’s a local witticism that you drive uphill to the shops park, shop and then walk uphill back to the car. Consequently having an automatic car is a bonus. We’ve got a BMW X1 with auto gearbox as the sensible car and a manual Fiat 500 Sport as a fun car. The Fiat reminds me of the Mini 1275GT (Clubman) I owned in the 80’s - it was the closest I got to owning an original 60’s Mini Clubman which were rare and expensive in good condition as the model was old and they were usually rusting to bits.

There was something fun about those little square-nosed minis. Not as cute as their counterparts, a touch mean... quick off the mark and, I'm told, much easier to work under the hood on, thanks to just a smidge extra space.

Those new 500s are a nice motor. A little more practical than the original - a surprising amount of space inside - but retaining the spirit of the original model.

robrinay

One Too Many
There was something fun about those little square-nosed minis. Not as cute as their counterparts, a touch mean... quick off the mark and, I'm told, much easier to work under the hood on, thanks to just a smidge extra space.

Those new 500s are a nice motor. A little more practical than the original - a surprising amount of space inside - but retaining the spirit of the original model.
Yes much easier to work on - I had the engine out and back in again within a day, quite easily on a rented hoist when I replaced the worn piston rings and big and little end shells. The previous owner had obviously been frugal with the engine oil. With regard to the new 500 I was surprised to find that the larger 1.2L engine was actually less powerful than the smaller 0.9L one until I read the bumf and the word ‘turbo’ came up in the 0.9L spec.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points