Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trading system

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone considered a system of trading for items that just aren't worth selling, but you want to get out there to others who can use it?

I am thinking maybe we could have a fedora lounge bucks type system like work bucks traded in some communities.

Of course you could just give something away and rely on Karma to bring you something back, but I was thinking this might be fun.

Here is how it might work. I have ahat I like but it doesn't fit. I put it out htere for fifty credits. Someone buys it and I send it. Now I have fifty redits. I do it twice and use the credits to buy a suit from someone for 100 credits. The credits are banked in a database.

the credits are not redeemable for money and if you do not use them, and leave the lounge for good, they are gone, but if you keep buying and selling, you can use them like money.

This system is designed to be like barter, but allows more selection rather than needing a certain person to have what you want for what they want from you.

I think it would be fun and since there is no money involved, no one will take it too seriously.

Thoughts?

melankomas

One of the Regulars
well, sir, it sounds nice. i'll offer to write the database and front end to order in an easily installed package, if The Powers That Be choose to implement the system and need someone to handle the technical aspects.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Maybe everyone can start with 50 credits, but if you get credits you also have to agree to put up fifty credits worth of merchandise.

I guess there are some logistics, but if everyone uses it for things they are willing to give away otherwise, we can keep it all fun and in good faith.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Exactly, if you don't ever sell anything, you can't evver buy anything, so you can put it out for what you think it is worth. I am figuring credits might be about a dollar. You can also bargain with someone or whatever.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Wouldn't it be easier to list the item in the classified section as a "To Trade"?

Well, the person who wants it may not have anything I want, or not right now. If it were bartering something common everyone can use, that is one thing. But vintage clothing is so size and style specific that the chances of someone having something to trade are small.

I guess we could just use cash, which works fine. But I thought it would be fun to be able to feel like we are passing things around without having to charge people real money. I am sure we all have stuff to trade.

Just a thought.

Feraud

Bartender
It is not a bad thought at all but I think it will get complicated really quickly.
Having to track an account can become a burden for some. I passed along two Homburgs through the classifieds asking only postage paid. The hats went to a good home and I made room in my closet.
If anyone has items to get rid of I suggest listing it in the classifieds and seeing what somone is willing to pay or trade for it.
The least you will get for it is a good karma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo