Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tramp Steamers

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Tiki Tom

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

Gun running freighter up to no good as it docks in South Africa?

This could be straight out of a spy novel or adventure movie.
The Russian owned (but Dagestan registered) “Lady R” slipped into South Africa under cover of darkness with its transponder turned off. The Lady R is already under American sanctions for gun smuggling. Speculation is that South Africa is selling a load of armaments to Russia for use in Ukraine. Like a ghost, the Lady R unloaded, reloaded, and then disappeared again.

https://news.yahoo.com/south-african-mps-worried-government-165600910.html

Will the Lady R be intercepted at sea? Stay tuned.

Not saying they are guilty, but arms sales are big business in South Africa.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/sa-exported-r3-3-billion-worth-of-military-hardware-in-2021/

The whole affair is Reminiscent of a Tom Clancy novel.

galopede

One of the Regulars
My favourite steamer stories are the various tales of Para Handy, written as newspaper columns in the 1920's by Glasgow man Neil Munro about the captain and crew of the Vital Spark. Humorous tales of the Clyde Puffers that plied their trade along the Clyde and to the island such as Arran etc. At the time, they were the only way some islands got supplies. The boats were flat bottomed and often ran onto the beach to unload, floating off on the next tide.

There are several collections of stories. They can be quite hard going though, as they were written in dialect!

Haversack

One Too Many
My favourite steamer stories are the various tales of Para Handy, written as newspaper columns in the 1920's by Glasgow man Neil Munro about the captain and crew of the Vital Spark. Humorous tales of the Clyde Puffers that plied their trade along the Clyde and to the island such as Arran etc. At the time, they were the only way some islands got supplies. The boats were flat bottomed and often ran onto the beach to unload, floating off on the next tide.

There are several collections of stories. They can be quite hard going though, as they were written in dialect!
You have seen The Maggie? A 1954 Ealing Studio comedy based on the Para Handy stories. Alex Mackenzie plays Captain MacTaggart. Filmed on the Clyde and the Islands. A bonus is a Dragon Rapide.

galopede

One of the Regulars

Tiki Tom

Gun running freighter up to no good as it docks in South Africa?

This could be straight out of a spy novel or adventure movie.
The Russian owned (but Dagestan registered) “Lady R” slipped into South Africa under cover of darkness with its transponder turned off. The Lady R is already under American sanctions for gun smuggling. Speculation is that South Africa is selling a load of armaments to Russia for use in Ukraine. Like a ghost, the Lady R unloaded, reloaded, and then disappeared again.

https://news.yahoo.com/south-african-mps-worried-government-165600910.html

Will the Lady R be intercepted at sea? Stay tuned.

Not saying they are guilty, but arms sales are big business in South Africa.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/sa-exported-r3-3-billion-worth-of-military-hardware-in-2021/

The whole affair is Reminiscent of a Tom Clancy novel.

Update on this story. I’m shocked, shocked I tell you!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-says-south-africa-supplied-weapons-ammunition-to-russia-c2489d54

Tiki Tom

Last edited:

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Ships using the Panama canal used to stay in the freshwater lake for a week or two to take the "freshwater cure": in the fresh water the saltwater barnacles would die and fall away from the hull. Much cheaper and more convenient than going into drydock to have the hull scraped.
I had no idea that fresh water was a part of the Panama canal. WOW!

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I think California may be beginning to learn that's its better for society when criminals are held accountable for their actions. More specifically, they're seeing what happens when you don't. Recovery from all this will be difficult, I believe.

I think California may be beginning to learn that's its better for society when criminals are held accountable for their actions. More specifically, they're seeing what happens when you don't. Recovery from all this will be difficult, I believe.
I don't think so. For a while the morning news would report on the criminals being released from prison by Governor Nuisance for one weak reason or another, and a percentage of those criminals seemingly couldn't wait to commit another crime so they could get arrested and go back to prison. So now they don't mention anything about the releases, just the arrests. :rolleyes: No, the people running this state are about as sharp as a crate of bowling balls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider