Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench coat (Burberry) "reproof"

ascanio

New in Town
Hi friends

I am been searching for hours online for official or non-official procedures to reproof (re-water-proof....) trench coats, Burberry specifically. Cleaning instructions on such garments specify that it may be required to reproof after cleaning (on Aquascutum labels it even reads "reroof"...).

Can somebody point me to some information about the process? I did study that the original patented gaberdine used Linalool grease but I don't think oiling a trench coat is a welcome procedure.

Also I ran across several waterproofing spry-cans, but they all seem dedicated to camping gears or sailor applications. They appear overkill to me as I could not find any comment or article encouraging an use on trench coats.

I own both cotton and poly-cotton vintage Burberry trench coats and I would consider to make them waterproof again, not just against water but also to be more protected against stains.

Still more than everything I am curious about the process as it seems to be a well kept secret.

Thank you for your insights! :)
Ascanio

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I paid to have mine reproofed at the dry-cleaners at the same time as having it cleaned. Don't honestly know what the process involved, though, other than it was done....

FWIW, last Summer I bought a new canvas Indy bag, and shower-proofed it before I took it out the first time with an aerosol Scotchguard type product. Might be a quick and dirty option if you don't mind giving it a go at home? Much more than "showerproof" I think you'd need to go for the full waxed-cotton / rubberised mac type of thing.

ascanio

New in Town
Thank you Edward for your answer. I'll look around for a skilled dry-cleaner in my area. Unfortunately I already had a bad experience in the past with my 100% cotton Burberry with a supposed high quality dry cleaner, which has been a bit discoloured in some areas :( so I am very concerned... I am been pissed for a long time.

I love your quote "If in doubt overdress" :D

Bye

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I doubt even the companies in question would know what "proofing" they used in the past, if any. It was almost certainly a treatment done to the cloth before the coats were made, not something applied later, so good luck. I think if you want serious rain protection get a synthetic coat of some kind, and wear your Burberry or Aquascutum on the dry days.

ascanio

New in Town
Thanks for the answer. I am really more trying to make some research rather than trying to stay dry :) This is one of rare occasions where Google does not provide good answers out of the box.
I'll keep looking around for insights and informations.
Thanks.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I have re waxed my cotton Barbour jacket with Barbour’s Thornproof Dressing. I also use the dressing to wax new canvas shoes(Chucks) with great results. Not sure if the dressing would mingle properly with whatever proofing was used from the factory on your particular jackets. There are many videos out there for waxing a cotton Barbour.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I just spent two hours re-waxing my Gustin field coat with an Otter wax bar. A little more elbow grease than I would have wanted (rub the fabric with the wax bar, rub the waxy fabric with fingers, hit it with hair dryer to melt the wax, rub in with fingers again, repeat in a new spot). Wipe off excess wax with a rag. Lol. But I like how it looks now. RUGGED!

PXL_20221124_153835458.jpg
PXL_20221124_153812178.jpg

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Thanks! I wish I took some "before" pictures, but I always forget. Suffice it to say that before the jacket was much lighter green and uniform in color.

But going back to the original question, I would not do a trench coat with an Otter wax bar. Too much work. Otter also makes a liquid wax which you can paint on and should be easier, or I would check out Drizabone out of Oz.

Last edited:

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
The Thornproof is more of a liquid type wax. First needs to be heated, and then applied with a cloth or sponge before finishing with hair dryer to help even it all out. It’s still pretty labor intensive on a larger item.

Hi friends

I am been searching for hours online for official or non-official procedures to reproof (re-water-proof....) trench coats, Burberry specifically. Cleaning instructions on such garments specify that it may be required to reproof after cleaning (on Aquascutum labels it even reads "reroof"...).

Can somebody point me to some information about the process? I did study that the original patented gaberdine used Linalool grease but I don't think oiling a trench coat is a welcome procedure.

Also I ran across several waterproofing spry-cans, but they all seem dedicated to camping gears or sailor applications. They appear overkill to me as I could not find any comment or article encouraging an use on trench coats.

I own both cotton and poly-cotton vintage Burberry trench coats and I would consider to make them waterproof again, not just against water but also to be more protected against stains.

Still more than everything I am curious about the process as it seems to be a well kept secret.

Ascanio

Hi friends

Ascanio
I have just used Scotchguard or Never Wet to retreat my trench coats after cleaning to bring back some of its water/stain repellency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner