Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Triplets of Belleville.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
This movie came out in 2003, and I actually never got around to seeing it, because I believe it never got a wide release, and my city, while not the dinkiest place, only shows foreign/independent movies if they became fairly well-known. Also that was the year Lord of the Rings was still in full swing, and basically dwarfed everything. What I do remember was being highly intrigued by this from a clip I saw on T.V. It seemed quirky, fun, and lovable, not to mention the animation style reminded me of the 1930's animated films, and it very well may have been based on this. Right now, I'm waiting to receive my copy from amazon.
So, has anyone seen this?
A penny for your thoughts?
tripletsxj0.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the sepia-toned prologue references 30s animation styles, but the main body of the film looks more like '101 Dalmations' era Disney. it is almost entirely wordless which means the narrative is propelled by visuals alone... something which is quite foreign to script-driven Hollywood films. the only downside is the lack of emotion shown by the main characters (the cyclist in particular seems almost catatonic) which makes them quite difficult to care about. otherwise brilliant.

the director is now working on an unmade script by the late Jacques Tati.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was slightly obsessed with it and was cheesed when it did not win best animated short :rage:

It has, (no lie) some of the best fusion of 2D and 3D Ive ever seen. I love this movie. :rolleyes:

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvved It!:D Makes me laugh deliriously everytime, had the DVD ordered in from Quebec cause you couldn't get it here, god knows why[huh]

Watch it! It's good for a laugh and frivolous time.:D

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Loved it. We bought it a little bit ago, but I had seen it when it came out. I agree that the cyclist's catatonia made him hard to care for. His (grand)mother was the really spunky character. And the triplets themselves. That vintage clip in the beginning was sheer genius.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I saw this at the local multiplex (amazingly!) the year it first came out, and was humming the music for weeks afterward. The Triplets sound much like a Francophone version of the Boswell Sisters, and they really stick in your mind.

There was a lovely atmospheric moody quality to the animation -- I'm glad to hear that the director is working on a Tati script, because I remember thinking as I watched the picture that if Jacques Tati had been an animator, he'd have turned out something exactly like this. A wonderful film, well worth seeing if you haven't.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
I saw this at the local multiplex (amazingly!) the year it first came out, and was humming the music for weeks afterward. The Triplets sound much like a Francophone version of the Boswell Sisters, and they really stick in your mind.

There was a lovely atmospheric moody quality to the animation -- I'm glad to hear that the director is working on a Tati script, because I remember thinking as I watched the picture that if Jacques Tati had been an animator, he'd have turned out something exactly like this. A wonderful film, well worth seeing if you haven't.

Boswell Sisters -- cool, I'll look for them. Sounds right up my alley.
Which of their CDs should I get? Amazon has many, many, many.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Just saw this today, and add me to the list of those who enthusiastically praise this movie! :) :eusa_clap It's like stepping into some bizarre dream, and ambling along with Souza and Bruno on their way, only you're completely mesmerized by everything taking place. I only wish I really knew a group like the Triplets in reality. No real speaking lines, and yet among the most charismatic and just darn like-able characters, in any animated OR live action movie I've ever seen! :) :eusa_clap

Salv

One Too Many
Wonderful film, and the look of the cyclist, Champion, seemed to be based on Italian cycling legend Fausto Coppi, which made me love the film even more:

coppi_1952.jpg
pict5803_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112