Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True colors of G+B

Razor

New in Town
US Authenitc

I have to second that. Look at buying a jacket like a good suit. Everyone has a different body type and proper fit is needed to be done to incorporate the changes in sleeve length and the almighty waist on everyone. If you buy a Lauren or Armani suit off the rack, remember you are purchasing quality fabric and workmanship. The fit is up to a tailor to get it fitting properly on your body. I purchase custom suits because I think it is all in the fit and quality of the suit, not just the brand.

I am the proud owner of a US Authentic HH Russet A-2 in a size 44 and simply love the quality and workmanship. It fits me well as far as an outer coat. It you are really finicky about authenticity then you will have to pay for it with a tier one type jacket. As far as fit, pay the money and go to a tailor and get properly measured and send Shaul your measurements and pay the extra $100 for a custom fit jacket which is still far cheaper than an Aero or ELC.

Just my two-cents.

Razor :rolleyes:

ldmax

Familiar Face
grunt56 said:
Hey Tony, What are you flying there in the picture?
That is a 2004 Cessna 172S that my flying club owns. All the current production Cessnas have the shoulder harnesses that run from the middle of the ceiling to the outside edge of the seat. The picture was taken by my cousin in the back seat at 3000 feet.

Adding to Dr. Strange's comments, US Authentic makes a very good jacket. I didn't like their horsehide, but their goatskin (particularly the vintage goat) is gorgeous. The quality of the leather and workmanship are excellent. Talking to Shaul is kind of like talking to a wall. You must be very persistent and provide exact details (usually multiple times) and still don't get what you ordered on the first try. He will do whatever it takes to eventually make it right. IMO, the only game in town in the "better than a mall jacket, less than premium repro" market.

Tony

grunt56

New in Town
Tony, Thanks for the update, I fly corporate and haven't been in a 172 in years. Thats the impression I got as well of Shaul. He seems adverse to classifying the jacket as 'reg' or 'long' or 'short' which is quite inconvenient unless you have arms like a chimp. I see his point though, if the sleeves come up short he'd be getting a lot of returned short arm jackets in inventory. From what I'm hearing US/A's the best bang for the buck out there. Since I'm bent on horsehide I'll check this one out and if its really that stiff I'll trade it back for a goat.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Grunt56.. i asked for some leather samples from us/a and out of the three
i was sent i liked the vintage HH the best next was the seal HH because it
was is as Doctor Strange says.. mega-thick:D. also does anybody know if the price for the aero real deal is right, on there web site it is listed as 300.00
pounds?? as of today thats about $591. and some change..
Tom

grunt56

New in Town
Tom, It would seem 300 British pounds is correct for the Real Deal but the way I'm reading it, you have to buy something worth 350 pounds to get 'free shipping to US'. This would make the Real Deal effectively cost as much as a 350 British pound jacket, no?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
ldmax said:
Talking to Shaul is kind of like talking to a wall. You must be very persistent and provide exact details (usually multiple times) and still don't get what you ordered on the first try. He will do whatever it takes to eventually make it right.
Except, apparently, work on his English?...I don't want to seem discriminatory here, but his writing gives me the impression that it isn't his first language. You'd think he'd be saving himself a good bit of work if he boned up on his communication skills.

The days when craftsmen could get by on intuition and experience, "knowing" what you want before you do, are coming to an end. The information age is bringing them business - well then, they need to communicate as well or maybe better than other tradespeople.

kojax

Practically Family
hello people happy new year.....i was wondering about u.s mfg. is there vintage horse hide heavy like there stock seal brown horeshide....i know there stock goatskin brown is to thin for me......somebody here said there vintage goatskin is a little heaver.....thank you people.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Fletch, Shaul is Israeli, but he's been here a long time (and of course, English is taught and widely spoken in Israel). The time I went over in person to get my jacket, I had no problem communicating with him: he speaks perfect English. I think it's more that he is harried and/or not paying attention rather than a language issue.

kojax

Practically Family
when i talk to him on the phone to me it seems broken english to me......he does not talk long on the phone with you lol.....oh well

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Huh. Well, maybe I'm not remembering that clearly. It was way back in 2002, after all.

He was definitely kind of brusque, even in person. Once he got me into the right size jacket, he didn't want to chat about the details, we moved right on to processing my credit card. (It wasn't until after I left that remembered that I had wanted to examine and try on a G-1 too!)

birddog

New in Town
FedoraL,

I think your jacket looks just fine; relaxed sleeves & good torso fit. If WW2 clothing issue was anything near like when my first Navy flight jacket was issued to me in 1973, then it was not a precision drill. A2s were just issued, & with thousands being made there had to be variables on size, color etc, that would make them look different. Even the type plane or job would effect the look of the jacket. A fighter pilot in a small cockpit would scrape & wear his jacket differently than a bomber, transport crewman or ground pounder would do, so I wouldn't get too caught up in trivia details. 99.9% of the world will think it's a nice flight jacket. The other1% will be ignorent.

In the Navy, I went to the squadron flight gear issue, where the clerk looked at me and said "...this should be about right.." . He threw an approxomate sized jacket at me, & I signed for it. Luckily, it was a loose fit, which paid off later, being able to wear a sweater under it in cold weather & allowed for graduated growth, as I got older. Still have it, but I'm 58 & not 23 & it shrank in the closet after all these years!

Now I have an Eastman A2, with the internal rigger pockets, size 44, & it's a good incentive for not gaining weight, as it's the last size they make. I own & fly a Piper L4, a Fairchild 24, & wear the jacket in an industrial working environment, so it's gaining it's own personality. Just hope I can keep the weight under control.

Birddog

grunt56

New in Town
Just a note Birddog: We were referring to the sleeves on FedoraL's first jacket pictured which he aparently gave back to US/a, not the Aero in the second pic [the keeper] which looks fine to me too. In the original thread, I returned a G+B A-2 because the russet wasn't what I expected and the horsehide very smooth, too perfect IMO. I ordered a US Authentic seal HH which will be here Wednesday. I halfway expect it to be as stiff and heavy as tank armor and sleeves fitted for a baboon. If anyone is interested I'll give my overall impression of it.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Grunt56 yes please let us know what you think about your us/a jacket. I am considering a vintage HH from them. it sounds like its hard to get the sizing right with us/a. kinda makes me worry about ordering from them.
Tom

Razor

New in Town
US Authentic Russet HH

I have an US A Russet HH and simply love the look. Waiting to get some samples of the goatskin. Looking at the vintage or the medium brown. Would be interested in hearing about anyone having these A-2 from US Authentic.

Thanks,

Razor:p

grunt56

New in Town
The A-2 from US/Auth arrived last night – I opened the box with some trepidation, expecting the best and the worst at the same time. The first thing I observed while handling the package was the weight was comfortably substantial. Then at first glance I was relieved to see two things I was hoping for- the color was obviously a deep brown, not almost black and the grain of the hide quite visible everywhere but subtle at the same time. All right, I’m feeling pretty good now but still worried about the fit. Are the sleeves going to reach the floor and is it going to be too tight as I got a size 42 when Shaul recommended a 44? Nope, just as I hoped, a military fit with plenty of room to breath but it’s not baggy at all. The collar is a little stiff and uncomfortable when my head is tilted back- I attribute that to the collar and stand needing some break in. Even though my shirt sleeve length is 34, I was worried they would send the sleeves extra long for a refit. No worries- it didn’t happen in this case. The sleeves are perfect at 24” from shoulder seam to end of arm, not including cuff. I feel I got exactly what I asked for. A medium weight and not very expensive horsehide with a plenty of class and character in my humble opinion. It’s going to take some breaking in but I doubt that long before it’s really comfortable. I’m also sure it won’t be all that long before I become curious enough to go after one of the high-end jackets just because they are there, that’s human nature. For now I’d say I’m very satisfied with this jacket.

grunt56

New in Town
USA.jpg

Heres one. Been wearing the heck out of it and it's noticibly looser in just two days. I like the grain and the way the collar stands up, it's not digging into my neck anymore either.

grunt56

New in Town
th_USA2.jpg

Here's the other side. Jacket is still a little shiny but the flash glare is adding some of that. From what I'd heard I wasn't expecting the hide to feel this pliable so soon. Not complaining though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran